grizzley21 09-Feb-19
grizzley21 09-Feb-19
Zbone 09-Feb-19
Zbone 13-Feb-19
3arrows 14-Feb-19
Killbuck 18-Feb-19

By: Zbone
Date:08-Feb-19

Put this out for my buddy Kev (he knows who he is...8^) We argued deer population for years...

Seems the ODNR, FINALLY admitted they overkilled deer:

"Deer hunting regulations over the past four seasons have been designed to allow for moderate herd growth throughout most of the state. Herd growth is achieved by reducing harvest and protecting female deer."

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/news-announcements/post/ohio-hunters-harvest-more-than-172-000-deer-during-2018-2019-season-2419?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OdnrDivisionOfWildlife+%28ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife%29

It might just be me, but I don't see anything that resembles an admission about over harvest... Likewise, I don't think that you will ever see any admission from my Indiana DNR about their deer reduction "agenda" that went sideways with the EHD outbreak a few years ago. My interpretation of course... Pete

I hope they actually do something about this.. reduce the doe tags or something ..

"past four seasons have been designed to allow for moderate herd growth"

They're the ones that gave the liberal antlerless bag limits... Heck I think you could have legally killed something like 18 a year for a few years at one point, and now designed for herd growth... I take that as admission...

By: Ogoki

I totally agree with Zbone . I have seen a DRASTIC change in our deer numbers ,here in west central Ohio. My business is repairing electric motors and grain dryers for farmers. I have ,what I feel are some choice farms to hunt. I keep them running in exchange for some FREE repair jobs, I get good properties to hunt . I run many cameras and check sparingly . Along with hunting ,the cameras even prove less deer . I ask farmers what they see while harvesting . The usual response i get is, they don't see them like they use to. I do believe the bigger woods with more cover ,still hold some deer . I don't need to see the large numbers we had 10 years ago , but would like to see a few more . On my choice farm ,I saw 4 deer in 12 sits in November.

By: LINK

I am along way from Ohio but I agree with Zbone that the DNR’s statement is as close to an admission as you’ll get.

Maybe they oughta reduce xbow season like WI...8^) Nah, ain't gonna happen...8^)

Personally I have disagreed with many states DNR population stats. The numbers and herd sizes they were quoting never matched up with what the guys in the field were seeing. I have lost all faith in "DNR`s".

Agreed with Link: as close to an admission as you will get. I suppose that I am viewing a literal statement about overkill as an admission of a previously faulty policy. They haven't done that by simply stating the last 4 years have been "designed for moderate herd growth."

Similarly, some of our hoosier counties have been "backed down" from what used to be 4 to 8 bonus anterless tags available yearly to just ONE bonus anterless tag regardless of weapon. No doubt someone at the DNR had a serious UH-OH moment when looking at the numbers! Will they ever admit they mismanaged the herd... not going to happen.

I agree with Franklin. WI's DNR used to post a pre-hunt season herd size estimate and were really laughed at for years. They quit doing it. WI can't count anything. At one point, they thought the bear population was around 16k when studies pushed it closer to 36k. Let's not even talk wolves. The hunters know the truth there.

I wonder if their depredation calls/experiences where localities have higher deer counts, factor in to their estimates. I'd assume not since that'd be bad science...

Speaking of DNR guessiments, one year here they doubled the size of the herd with the stroke of the pen... Truth, they said they had been under estimating the population so they were adjusting their estimate...

I had always heard that the Amish were the reason deer numbers are dwindling in Ohio. Not sure how legitimate that charge is. It might be true more localized to the areas they are concentrated but not state wide.

Jack, the amish don't help, but its statewide and kill stats prove that, steady decline for about the past 15 years now...

I live here and used to work second shift while commuting 52 miles one way to work and been taking personal deer counts on moonlight nights in the snow in January and February those 52 miles and my counts coincide the kill stats... Have seen fields there used to be 20 -30 deer in, and now lucky to see a doe family or two in those same fields... Of course deer here are spotty, but there's a whole lot less of them now even in those high concentration spots than there used to be...

By: SteveB
Date:09-Feb-19

The Amish don’t kill any more deer than anyone else. They require tags to kill deer as well. I am in northeast Ohio on private land and we don’t have a population issue at all but that isn’t saying other areas don’t. As far as an admission? I don’t see this as one at all, just a needed target population adjustment...

SteveB - If you have enough property, sure you can manage your own herd (I don't)… The point I was trying to make, if not your own little paradise, for those of us that hunt public, they've killed way too many... You must be related to my buddy Kev...8^)

After saying all that, I do see good signs...

Zbone's embedded Photo

Not this one

Zbone's embedded Photo

this one

BTW SteveB, that good sign is in NE OH...

Actually both of them are...

By: SteveB

Yep, I’m well aware of those. I avoid public land here in Ohio these days though and thankful that I can. Our property isn’t huge by any means but we do manage it.

I believe that one is the auburn wildlife area, archery only ………….

Yeah grizzley21 it is Auburn... Well, seems bows and xbows only...

Date:13-Feb-19
Zbone's Supporting Link

Podcast with head deer biologist Mike Tonkovich...

Guess I wasn't the only hunter critical of populations, and now from the sound of it, yes they do admit overkill in areas and now seems they are thinking towards to again allocate “tags”, NOT BAG LIMITS in the future, meaning they are gonna manage more closely... YAY finally.... I remember back in the day, you had to apply ahead for a doe (anterless) tag, back then by county townships... Am sure they are not going to manage down to townships, but would be satisfied down to county…

What he's talking is everybody will be able to buy an either sex tag statewide, but extra anterless tags will then be allocate maybe down to county level rather than regional bag limits... Not written in stone, but looking better for the future... I like this guy, (oh my, I said something good about Ohio’s deer managers...8^))

BTW, regardless of how many tags you buy or apply for in Ohio is a 1 buck limit regardless of season or method...

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-tut6c-a74e82?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OdnrDivisionOfWildlife+%28ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife%29

Date:14-Feb-19

Just like old times,hunt all year and see one set of tracks.Two late for me,see you guys on the other side.

Date:18-Feb-19

Deer #'s in my area were Way higher than the last few years. My sons and I took 9. Was almost a joke in late season when we had tags and wanted meat. We killed 3 during mzl season in a total of 7 hours of hunting for the 3 of us. Mine took 40 minutes. (without corn) Coming home from dinner Saturday I saw 22 in the fields in a 6 mile trip to town.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.