wildlifehunter 30-Jan-19
kadbow 30-Jan-19
drycreek 30-Jan-19
RutnStrut 30-Jan-19
t-roy 30-Jan-19
wildlifehunter 31-Jan-19
Ambush 31-Jan-19

Date:22-Jan-19

Looking for first hand expierence of guys using tools like firminator or plotmaster like tools. I'm not looking for something that is good at discing preexisting plowed fields. As these cost way to much to only be able to perform those tasks.??? Can these pieces of equipment properly work in fresh ground that has just been mowed and sprayed?

Date:23-Jan-19

Nobody has used these pieces of equipment?

I use Kunz Engineering’s Till-Ease . It rips open my field. But the rocky ground is rough on the chisel points. Still , it’s well made unit .

Not sure your money situation but even if it is better than avg. the cost of those things should have already made you cringe. Everybody has different soils but where I’m at it’s pretty dang rocky about 5 yrs ago I spent 900$ on what I call a hydrolic bat wing disk, and 2 nine tine rippers or sub soilers. Took each side off bat wing disk welded the rippers to front of each of those one I bought a seeder from tractor supply that runs off a battery and attached to the back the other I use for rough ground or a new plot and still have the main part of the big disk put in many of food plots with that combo, many design ideas on internet but in my opinion the others wouldn’t have lasted and I for sure would pay the price

By: Ambush

Tennhunter, can you post a pic of that rig please?

Yes you are right those prices have made me cringe. If you could post pics that would be great

By: wildan

I use my ATV only for some planting with a spreader;They don't work very well for any ground engaging tools.Just not enough weight.We have tractors for the tough work.

The Groundhog max ATV disc works great. You are going to get the standard get a tractor answers. That's great for some. But if you can't afford it or can't get a tractor into the areas you want to plant. You have to work with what you can.

I use a springtooth harrow. Just spray then mow so weeds don’t ball up in the teeth. I got mine used that was laying behind a farmers barn for 25 bucks

Date:24-Jan-19

Ive had good success with a Groundhog Max. But you better have a big cc motor and 4x4. I replaced the stock hitch on mine too. My atv is older with a solid rear axle.

For me, it was a good purchase.

By: DIY
Date:26-Jan-19

I use ATV implements for food plotting. I have 8 plots between 1/4-acre and 1-acre in size. I would love the ATV Firminator, but at $6K I couldn’t justify it to myself for the amount of plotting I’m doing. If it was half that I would have one. I ended up buying 2 ATV implements that have been a game changer for me. I got a Swisher rough cut mower and the Tarter disc/cultipacker combo. The Swisher is awesome. I can mow my perennial plots, do throw and mow plots, cut access trails for my stands. I got the 14.5hp Kawasaki motor and it’s a beast! I won’t lie...I really wanted a Kunz ATV mower, but I couldn’t justify the price for my limited needs. The Swisher is working great, so no regrets so far. The Tarter disc/cultipacker combo is another great ATV plotting tool. It is not one of those cheap ATV discs that you have to strap logs, sand bags or cinder blocks to have enough weight to break new ground. I believe it weighs over 700lbs, and with the discs set at an angle it will tear up some ground. But, you better have a stout ATV. I use a Suzuki King Quad 750 4x4 and it gets the job done. The Tarter lacks the seed box of the ATV Firminator, but for $4K less I will use my Swisher ATV spreader for lime/fertilizer and my Solo shoulder spreader for seed. The cultipacker on the Tarter can be raised up and down with a winch. It works very well, although it doesn’t have the mud scraper that the ATV Firminator has. The Tarter is built like a tank and is easy to transport from plot to plot with its wheel system. I have towed it down the road at 20mph. Google “Tarter disc/cultipacker combo” and you can find some videos of it. I ordered mine from Cabelas and had it shipped to my home. If you don’t want the cultipacker you can buy it with disc only, but in my opinion the built-in cultipacker is the way to go because it works great and adds more weight to help break new ground.

The atv might be an ok option for out of the way areas

By: Myke

Check with your local pheasants forever group. Sometimes they have some decent small equipment for rent or will do your plots for a fee.

I have used the Kolpin stuff, and have purchased single row corn planters, etc. Narrow plots are possible, but square plots not so easy- lots of turning around- up and down with the implement. And to get depth with an ATV in packed soil, you have to get weight on the implement, and gun the ATV, which is hard on the belt. I switched to a UTV, which worked better due to more hp and weight. Broadcasting expensive seed is tough to do well. The plotmaster seed spreader works well with fine seed, but you only seed about 3 feet wide at a time. The Kunz stuff is good, but pricy. I have their 57" mower, and plan on selling it this spring. The last of my food plot stuff, as I no longer own land. I am having a tough time parting with it. It is tough as nails, and worth the $$.

Date:27-Jan-19

Drop Tine's embedded Photo

Our regional DNR headquarters has a Plotmaster that they loan out to landowners to use. I used my Polaris 550HO and worked up a new area like you described.

After several passes the soil worked up great.

wildlifehunter's embedded Photo

Date:28-Jan-19

" which is hard on the belt."

I have a fix for that. Get a Honda, no belts

Date:28-Jan-19

Thanks. Some good info.

Date:29-Jan-19

My Polaris is a 2001 model and I do this as a business, not always the 4-wheeler that I use to install them with. The 4- wheeler has over 3000 miles, almost 1000 hours on it and I have never replaced a belt. About the only thing that I have ever done to this Polaris is change oil and a couple of batteries. It also plows my driveway. Western New York, 250- 300 inch of snow on average 200 feet of driveway. It works it hard, but not abuses it. It has only been used as a tool and not ever really used for play. It has been trail riding a couple of times and to Canada bear hunting but mainly used on my property and for work. It has been great. would recommend it as a option to anyone thinking of using theirs to installing plots.

By: JRW
Date:29-Jan-19

A small spring tooth harrow and a drag made out of a section of chain length fence will handle most anything for under $100.

Date:30-Jan-19

With a good good kill off, good burn and a flexible drag harrow. Does a really nice job.

By: kadbow

kadbow's embedded Photo

Old tractors are cheaper than atvs and easier to find used implements for. I got this tractor for $2000 put a few hours of work into it and it works great. Ferguson TO-30.

JMO, but before I attempted plotting with an ATV, I would look for a used 25/35hp compact tractor. My son has one with front end assist and I was surprised at what it will do. It will also fit almost anywhere an ATV or UTV will go. Also has a FEL which is invaluable IMO. I use a much larger tractor and I’m only constricted by ground conditions. If the trail to the plot is too narrow, I use a chainsaw. If the ground is too wet, then it’s a no-go. I realize you might not own the land, then it’s a different story.

The other problem with a tractor for some is transporting and storing it. Yes it's a blast to buy more equipment. But if you are already on a tight budget. Another 1000-2500 for a decent car trailer can be a lot.

By: t-roy

So is dropping another 4-7K for a firminator or plotmaster.

Agree with kadbow and drycreek on an older tractor vs an atv. You can pick up a pretty nice older tractor for a couple grand.

Date:31-Jan-19

I have less than $250.00 in my plot tool. old set of disks at an auction, a couple other odd purchases a few afternoon with the welder. I also have disks and, 68" rototiller for tractor. 4-wheeler is by far the easiest.

By: Ambush
Date:31-Jan-19

Wildlifehunter, that's a very handy implement you've assembled there! Can you select disc or spring harrow by tilting the frame? Or is it both or nothing? Some more pics would be appreciated, if you will.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.