Total newbie needs A-Z help
Food Plots
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
DMTJAGER 09-Dec-18
bfisherman11 10-Dec-18

Date:09-Dec-18

I am a complete novice who knows absolutely nothing about planting food plots who now wishes to do so.

What I think would prove most helpful to me, that is if it exists, is a recommendation based on personal experience a book formatted for complete novices such as myself on all of the requirements for planting a dirt simple successful food plot. I feel a short to the point simply written book would serve me best as considering my lack of knowledge VS trying to get all the information from posting for same here.

The fallowing information concerning my situation I feel is of importance and needs to be made known to anyone prior to them making any recommendations of assistance to me.

#1-I'm not even sure how big a food plot is with in my capabilities to plant. Although clearing the parcel of land in question is only a matter of removing natural weed growth and then exposing the dirt by some form of tilling, I need an experienced based estimate on just how big a of a food plot is within the abilities of a single man with a gas powered roto-tiller.

#2-I can however commit at least four sun up to sun down days in prepping and planting the plot.

#3-I have up to 50 square yards (much more if I can handle it) of good flat farm field to utilize, not saying I wish to plant it all just that its available to me to plant.

#4-I live a 3hr and 20 minuet drive from my hunting land so what ever food I choose to plant must be of minimal maintenance as I will not be able to get out to tend it all that often.

#5-Where I hunt the crop land acres out number good deer habitat by a factor of at least 8 to one best guess so I'm thinking once all the crops are in a food plot can be very successful for late season post-rut hunts if I'm not successful during the rut so please bear this in mind for making recommendations or advice.

#6-I hunt in east central Indiana about 20 miles west of the Ohio border so it doesn't get extremely cold if that matters with choosing what to plant in ones food plot.

#7-I know at least one of my neighbors also plants food plots as well.

So if anyone knows of and can recommend a great DIY how to food plot book for complete novices such as myself please by all means recommend it to me.

Thanks, DMT/J

Date:10-Dec-18

DMT, I have learned a lot from John (GrandpaRayOutdoors.com) aka Nutritionist here. John also has a good book you can buy.

You will want to do a soil sample.....

OK, Lots of questions. First, I would say with your equipment you can break ground if you are a young man. The size plot depends on where you put it and it's purpose. I have 40 acres and two plots. One is a 1/2 acre and the other near an acre. the 1/2 acre is a plot the deer browse prior to checking out my apple trees on their way to the AG fields in the evening. they do the reverse in the AM. The larger field can be more a destination just before they bed.

Usually I have an annual turnip/brassica mix at the small plot and a perennial chicory/clover mix in the larger plot. Next year I have to replant the Chicory plot since it has about run it's course. Honestly my herd just loves that mix most so I think I will plant that as well in the small plot.

I have a tractor, disc, 2 bottom plow, UTV for my water filled plastic roller. I plant with a hand crank seed spreader.

Hope that helps and do get in touch with John.

Bill

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.