T Mac 26-Aug-18
Habitat for Wildlife 27-Aug-18
Habitat for Wildlife 27-Aug-18
Stressless 16-Sep-18
X-Master 17-Sep-18

Date:23-Jul-18

Looks great Pat!

Date:23-Jul-18

The deer won't be going hungry this Fall, that's for sure.....

Date:24-Jul-18

All of mine burned up. Yours look damn good though Pat. I think I need a drink.......

Pat, how do the deer like that Blackhawk? I have never heard of that clover.

By: APauls

Very impressive. The enjoyment you get out of that must be awesome. Congrats!

By: t-roy

Looks great! Why sweet corn vs conventional corn, Pat?

I think I recognize that Soybean field:) Looks great!

Wow! Lookin’ good.

That’s a lot work and it sure looks good. Lookin’ forward to seeing some trail cam pics.

Date:25-Jul-18

Grrr!! Your plots look great as usual. Ours flooded out again this year, just got some replanted last weekend. Oh well if they didn't flood they would be corn fields instead of deer cover.

Can you discuss what you are seeing for utilization. Particularly interested in the RR alfalfa.

MikeTN

Looking great Pat! You have much better results than me!

Pat,

Plots are looking fantastic! Like it that you are trying a bunch of new crops for plots!

In regards to the AG Lime, I assume you will spread it in the spring and work it into the soil then?

Mark

Steve Leffler's embedded Photo

My Real world soybeans appear to be standing up to intense grazing pressure. I planted them as an experiment and figured if they were all consumed over the summer I would just put in a fall plot of brassicas. This is VT so we dont have huge deer numbers but I am cautiously optimistic that this plot might survive till fall. Lots of the plants have flowers now so they are at least trying to make beans.

Pat, Surprised to hear you are doing corn after your comments several years ago. I too tried corn and the stalk cleanup was too much. But if the boss wants sweet corn, what's a guy going to do?

Date:01-Aug-18

So what kind of new toy did you get to spread the ag lime??

Date:01-Aug-18

Did you wait a year after you burned down your alfalfa plot?

Date:05-Aug-18

Hey Pat are you going to clip the trefoil or just let it grow?. I planted some this spring too and I was wondering if it should be clipped occasionally to promote new growth.

By: Grubby

I have never done straight trefoil, 25 years ago I saw a lot of ag fields of it here but haven’t recently. How late will the trefoil stay green? I have a healthy mix of it in with one of my clover plots We got some much needed rain last night, hope it wasnt too late.

Those drone photos are really cool. Why the gap on the left side of the foodplot?

Plots are looking fantastic!

The roundup up resistant weed epidemic is very real, even to us food plotters! I just had an Ag consultant out providing advice on controlling ragweed, pigweed and now water hemp (first identified in Ottertail County MN last year). I sprayed the water hemp three times in six weeks with roundup and it wouldn't touch it. Had to do a four wheeler spot spraying application with Cobra to save two small fields.......very expensive!

Controlling weeds in food plots would be a great topic (unfortunately) for a future thread.

Mark

Why the gap on the left side of the foodplot? Maybe the photo is backwards because usually they are on the right:)

Date:06-Aug-18

IMOX is the real deal. Works great on clover. Takes care of grass and broad-leaf at the same time.

***Really wish someone would come out with RR clover***

Date:07-Aug-18

Great to hear on the IMOX...sounds like it is the solution for broadleafs and grass in clover. I assume it is good to use in Alfalfa (as I have non RR alfalfa) as well?

Mark

Date:07-Aug-18

Nice plots, Pat. And, remember, a fed bear is a dead bear... ;)

Date:21-Aug-18

Letmgrow's MOBILE embedded Photo

Great looking food plots! It is surprising that plots have done as well as they have with very little rain. I have a property less than 2 hours straight north of you in Dekalb Junction and the rain has been timely in the last month.

By: algee
Date:22-Aug-18

algee's MOBILE embedded Photo

We have had a perfect growing season here in southeast Wisconsin. I work this plot with my 3foot pull behind rototiller and planted it Horney Buck Tank-a-licious on 8/3 and just check it yesterday looks like its doing well! But any seed should do well if you have your soil in the right condition!!

Letmgrow's embedded Photo

Pat, I used both Real World soybeans and Eagle Brand soybeans when I had my hunting property in Nebraska. When I bought this farm in New York I tried a forage soybean from Preferred Seed Company in Buffalo, NY. They are roundup ready and put on alot of pods for $45 a bag. I just thought I would mention it if guys out there are on a budget, I row plant 6 acres of beans which is about a $300 savings on seed.

By: Grubby

Grubby's embedded Photo

This plot of daikon and kale is doing pretty well considering how dry it is.

Letmgrow's embedded Photo

The pods were still tight in January last year but I will follow up later this fall. I archery hunted sorghum fields in Kansas and Nebraska and they got hammered by the deer but there were no soybeans or corn for a few miles. I am curious if the bear will hit that, I am headed to Maine bear hunting next week and they really like the oat fields up there. If it works out for you, I might have to plant some next year. I went with corn this year.

Date:23-Aug-18

sagittarius's MOBILE embedded Photo

Grandpa Rays "3x" (alfalfa, ladino clover, and chicory) with soybeans left and right.

https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com/product-page/3x

By: T Mac
Date:26-Aug-18

Sagittarius those plots are beautiful. Nice work!

Date:27-Aug-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

This weekend planted 5 acres of a clover mix and cover crop.

Sag, that is awesome!

Date:27-Aug-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

This weekend planted 5 acres of a clover mix and cover crop.

Sag, that is awesome!

Date:16-Sep-18

Thanks for the time you are putting in, I wrote that on plots, with marginalized souls the alfalfa petered out so I'm going with Birdsfoot Trefoil frost seeding in early '19. Which variety, Empire and European, did you put in? Cant wait get it rolling in '19.

Date:17-Sep-18

X-Master's embedded Photo

GrandPa Ray's Perennial Clover Mix - frost seeded Mar 17,2018.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.