BullBuster 23-Jul-18
Mad Trapper 23-Jul-18
DDT 24-Jul-18
DDT 24-Jul-18
Marj 24-Jul-18
jdrdeerslayer 28-Jul-18
BullBuster 26-Feb-19

Date:21-Jul-18

so....i just cleared another 1/2 acre next to my food plot to make it bigger, any way when i had it cleared i knew it was wet.....but its just mushy. the top 8" will dry out but if i run it over to many times with the tractor it starts to get soupy. 3 different spots i dug down 6 feet to burry some rocks and buy next am all were filled with water right to the top.... anyway im going to finish cleaning it up in the next few days and somtime next week i have lime and fertilizer coming. i have was going to plant it in a raddish/ brassica blend , clover mix . but i know brassica doesnt do great in wet. now im kinda thinking something like green patch plus which has a little of everything and see how it does.... and please dont suggest clover , i alrrady have a acre of it and our season opens late and clover looses its draw by then

Date:21-Jul-18

I have two places that have birdsfoot trefoil in them. Both were planted 4ish years ago and both are pretty wet sites in heavy soil in northern WI. The trefoil has done well in both with just mowing once or twice a summer and usually one herbicide treatment to reduce grass and sedges. The problem is the deer don't seem terribly interested in it. One is at my house and deer are much more likely to be browsing in the adjacent clover or in my yard than in the trefoil. The other is at a client's property and I can tell it is being browsed some but not heavily by any means.

Date:22-Jul-18

im looking for something witha good fall draw...nov and december.

Date:23-Jul-18

I planted some B Trefoil this year in soggy areas too. Growing well but my deer also don’t hit it well at all so what’s the point? I guess it’s good for soil erosion but expensive. Sorry, a little off of your point.

Date:23-Jul-18

Pat let us know how the deer prefer the trefoil

By: DDT
Date:24-Jul-18

DDT's MOBILE embedded Photo

I had a similar wet plot about 3/4 ac. Last year it was dry enough to till by mid July. Planted it to WI winter greens and tall tine tubers. They both grew great. Had alot of deer on them Nov. through rest of the winter. Fixed the field now, put in drainage. I just ordered BF trefoil to mix with clover for a new pond dyke.

By: DDT

I had a similar wet plot about 3/4 ac. Last year it was dry enough to till by mid July. Planted it to WI winter greens and tall tine tubers. They both grew great. Had alot of deer on them Nov. through rest of the winter. Fixed the field now, put in drainage. I just ordered BF trefoil to mix with clover for a new pond dyke.

By: Marj

If you don't think BFT is invasive, take a look in the ditch next time you hit the highway. That's probably the only reason it can survive in a wet area that most traditional crops struggle. If the site is that wet, don't rule out natve vegetation. It's low maintenance (once established) and is probably more beneficial to the deer and other wildlife than something like BFT.

Date:28-Jul-18

jdrdeerslayer's MOBILE embedded Photo

so up here in the NE its been its been nothing but rain last 2 weeks. and the lower half of my newly cleared 1/2 acre is a mess. today i spread 2500lbs of lime and ferilizer....i tilled it all in except this wet spot where i was only able to back down in with the tractor (got stuck 2 times) so i wasnt able to till it in or grade it.... anyway i did the whole 1/ acre in green patch plus....guess we will see. on another note i also fertilized tilled and spread a raddish clover mix on another 1/2 acre section of the field , i did it a bit different than usual tho . usually i smooth seed and pack it in by running ot over with tractor, this time i did not smooth or pack it because the soil was so damp....another wait and see.( not generally a wet area)

Date:26-Feb-19

Pat, how was deer utilization of your BFT last fall?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.