crowny 02-Sep-18
Michael Schwister 26-Sep-18
crowny 26-Sep-18
Scrappy 26-Sep-18
crowny 26-Sep-18
crowny 03-Oct-18

By: crowny
Date:14-Jun-18

Has anyone planted corn, waited till it gets up then plant cowpeas between the rows?

By: Fuzz

Haven't but sounds like a good idea.... built in trellis for the peas to climb.

By: wildan

Good idea but takes some specialized equipment on a large scale.It would be a lot of work to do by hand. I am trying cow peas mixed with sunflower this year.

By: t-roy

I wouldn’t be able to with one of the herbicides I spray to, hopefully, control water hemp and other broadleaves.

Also, I would think it would negatively affect your corn yield somewhat, if you’re planting corn for that purpose. They would help fixing nitrogen, but, imo, they would stunt the corn’s growth.

Date:15-Jun-18

Unless done on a large scale plot or a very low deer density your corn will get destroyed by the deer getting at the peas.

i've done it with RR corn.

let the grass grow up about 6" or so, spray it down with round up and come back a few days later and over seed the cow peas between the rows with some fertilizer (use extra). I use my ATV seed slinger if the corn is not too tall.

the dying grass adds enough cover / mulch for the peas to germinate and they will come right up!

By: lewis

Used to plant corn and rr soybeans together just broadcasted them at the same time.8-10 lbs of corn and a bag of soybeans.Worked like a charm.Bears made it not such a great idea.Lewis

ok thanks for the info. I do plan on planting the peas after the corn is up about 6-8 inches and after I spray and fertilize. I'm not to worried about the corn growth I am looking more for something the peas to grow on.

By: AccMan

I'm planting sorghum and peas together. The sorghum protects the peas and gives them something to climb and the deer wont eat the sorghum until very late season. Hopefully the bears will leave the sorghum alone. I have an 18' wide row of sorghum planted on each side of the food plot and in the middle for winter will be winter peas, brassicas and cereal rye. On the far end of the plot will be a small section of cereal rye and clover. My thought process being something will be there all year long.

Date:21-Jun-18

Just planted 1/4 acre of cowpeas then planted the other 1/4 acre with a mix of corn and cowpeas in hopes of making some cover for the deer as well as something for the cowpeas to climb. now just need some rain here in upstate NY.

I don't know what deer densities are like in your neck of the woods but around here a 1/4 acre of peas would be destroyed long before hunting season started. Not trying to be negative just relaying my personal experiences. Deer love peas a little to much unfortunately I learned the hard way planting anything under a acre just couldn't stand up to the browsing. If you're able to expand the plots I think corn and peas would be a great combo if you're going to keep the plots small you might look at planting something different if the peas don't hold up.

I also have a perennial plot of clover,chicory and alfalfa, 1/2 acre of that as well and 1/2 acre of soybeans. last year I tried a small plot of cowpeas and they didn't hit them until September. If they do destroy it I have a back up plan for fall. thanks for the input.

Date:22-Jun-18

I have Austrian Winter Peas planted with sunflowers, millet, and sorghum. Strictly a summer plot with no intentions of any of it making it to maturity. The plots will be planted to chicory/clover/cereal grains this fall. The summer crop is good nutrition for lactating mommas and antler growing dad's though.

Date:02-Sep-18

cow peas and corn doing awesome, just waiting for the cowpeas to get beans on them. The plot is thick and about 4-5 feet tall and the corn is 6ft plus with nice ears.very little deer destruction but that could be due to the perennial plus plot I have that the deer are hammering. also just put in some autumn buffet for late season. we really need some rain here in upstate NY.

crowny's MOBILE embedded Photo

crowny's MOBILE embedded Photo

This was three weeks ago.

Date:26-Sep-18

cowpeas look good, I would think corn is not going to do much with that much competition. Show us in OCT

actually the corn did really good, with the nitrogen the cowpeas produce they got really nice ears on them. I will get a picture soon for you.

Scrappy's embedded Photo

If your not worried about the corn producing you might consider just mixing the peas with sunflowers. I've planted beans and sunflowers a couple times with good results. Deer love to munch on the sunflower plants too.

I will definitely consider that next year. I think the sunflower will be much easier to till under in the spring.also.

Date:03-Oct-18

Sorry scrappy I am un able to get pictures of the corn, a bear went in a demolished it! Im hoping to get a shot at him soon.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.