Chuck22w 11-Jun-18
Konk1 12-Jun-18
Cheesehead Mike 12-Jun-18
South Farm 12-Jun-18
Screwball 12-Jun-18
Michael Schwister 13-Jun-18

By: Polk40
Date:11-Jun-18

Was wondering what people had the best luck in growing in the sandy soil in Wisconsin? Three small areas plan to plant and wondering if anyone has suggestions what grows the best in this type of soil?

Are you aiming for a summer or fall plot?

Oct/Nov something to hunt rut and after.

By: MK111

I'm planting food plots that feed the deer year around.

"I'm planting food plots that feed the deer year around". Very commendable ! That's always been my plan too, but now I'm feeding the frickin hogs ! :-(

Polk, PM nutritionist on here, I think he's from Wisconson. Site sponsor, seed seller, and very knowledgable. Good luck !

I’m no plot expert especially ones of a northern flavor. If your plot is ready to plant right now you may be able to get a buckwheat crop going and then seed fall plots mid August or early September.

If you don’t have a soil test you will be safe with buckwheat this summer. For fall planting, if your soil will support it brassica seems to be popular up north. You may hedge your bets and blend the brassica with oats or cereal rye.

Thank you all so far!! And I will try and get in touch with him!!

Chuck22w 's MOBILE embedded Photo

Have land in central WI. We have had the best luck with clovers and brassicas, excpecially turnips and radishes. Frost seeded a plot this year in April with clover brassica blend and came in amazing.

By: Konk1
Date:12-Jun-18
Konk1's Supporting Link

We have had good success using products from Grandpa Ray's Outdoors, he is out of Madison Wi. Grains And Greens is a good product for many types of soil and makes a good hunting plot. Frosty Delight, and Soil Builder are also good blends for your needs. Give them a call, great people to work with.

Luke, I'm in Polk County and have had good luck with clover, chicory and brassicas, turnips, etc.

If you're going to plant turnips some of the experts say not to plant them until later like July or August but I've had better luck planting them earlier, because our growing season is shorter and if you plant them too late the turnips won't get very big. If you plant them earlier the deer will feed off of the greens all summer and the turnips will get bigger by the end of our growing season. Turnips and brassicas are good but in my experience, once we get 10" or so of snow the deer give up and quit digging for them.

Not a foodplot, but up by Grantsburg I've had good luck planting my woods walking trails in clover...and we're pure sand!

Konk 1 times 2

Date:13-Jun-18

Add in radishes to your turnip mix. Deer seem to hit the radishes earlier and harder one my place. Radishes also improve the soil for future plantings

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.