t-roy 10-Apr-18
drycreek 10-Apr-18
crittergitter 10-Apr-18
t-roy 10-Apr-18
drycreek 10-Apr-18
t-roy 10-Apr-18
crittergitter 11-Apr-18

Date:10-Apr-18

I'm preparing for my second season with food plots. I just sent in my soil samples and should have them back by the end of the week. I'm certain that I will need a bunch of lime and some fertilizer. I limed and fertilized last year yet failed to take a soil test.

1. I have two plots that had annuals in them last year and a fair amount of weeds came in also. Do I round-up them first and then apply lime? 2. Can I use liquid lime and round-up in my sprayer simultaneously? Or do I stay away from liquid lime and use pellitized lime 3. If using pellitized should I till before applying or after.

I intend on planting one of these plots with a White Tail Institute Clover Blend. The other plot is a Beats & Chicory Blend. Thanks for your advice!

I've never used liquid lime so I can't answer that. I use lime from a feed store, either I put it out myself with their buggy or they put it out in some instances. I know you can put out lime any time but to work for spring it should have been spread last fall. You will get the benefit of the lime you put in last year this spring, but without the soil test, who knows if it's enough. You'll know when your tests come back though.

When I put out lime, I normally spray gly, wait about a week, spread my lime and disc it in. Spraying is not necessary, it's just what I normally do.

By: t-roy

I’ve never used liquid lime. I would spread the lime and fertilizer, if necessary, and till it in first. Lime takes time to break down into the soil. You would be wasting time and money to spray first, then spread lime/fertilizer and then till it in, unless you are going to wait several weeks after spraying to work the ground. Tilling your lime in will also kill the weeds, plus, if you spray, then till later, you will bring up more weed seeds that will sprout as well.

The only reason I would spray gly first is if the vegetation was thick and the roots dense. A really good burn-down seems to rot the roots and makes discing much easier. I don't have a rotary tiller. I should have clarified that. But Troy, you're only bringing seeds up once when you till, regardless of whether you spray before or not.

drycreek what is gly?

Good points Don.

^^^^^ Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup. It's non-discriminatory in what it kills for the most part. I get mine at Tractor Supply. Much cheaper than Roundup brand.

Crittergitter.....Lots of different names for it, but like drycreek stated, glyphosate is the active ingredient. It will only kill actively growing plants that it comes in contact with. It does not have any residual effects, which means it does not stay viable in the soil, so it will not kill any plants that emerge after it has been applied.

Date:11-Apr-18

Ah thanks guys. Actually that is the product I used last season. Just referred to it as round up.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.