BOHUNTER09 05-Jan-18
jstephens61 05-Jan-18
Missouribreaks 05-Jan-18
flyingbrass 05-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 05-Jan-18
KsRancher 05-Jan-18
t-roy 05-Jan-18

Date:05-Jan-18

Want to clear 2 acres of trees (most under 18 inches) for plot. Should I hire a dozer or will I be able to manage with a mini- hoe and skid steer on webs that I can use?

The dozer would do a better job and quicker. Depending on the terrain and number of trees, it shouldn't take a guy that does dozer work a few hours.

I trust very few dozer operators to clear food plots. Almost all of them remove too much topsoil.

By: Teeton

Done it many of times.. Dozer.. Are you renting and doing yourself? If so get at least a 450 or like size or better yet 650, 6 way blade and one with a good track. Are the trees cut down and you only have stumps? If not you got a lot of work to knock down trees and push them out of the way. We cut the trees down in winter and make fires and burn tops and middles. Make lots of fires so you don't have to carry the wood far. The burnt tree will help the soil also.. In spring just pop the stumps out and push out of way. Ed

There is a lot of danger trying to remove 18 inch trees with mini excavator. Had a neighbor crushed using a large track hoe. Better to hire an expert with a bulldozer. I had 2 1 acre plots done for $1500. Had hardly anything to pick up and was left with level ground and topsoil preserved

If you know how to use the skid steer, it’ll do the job fine.

Dozer, I operate it myself.

I own a small Caterpillar D3 dozer. I hired a professional to clear a large 7 acre opening for food plots and pear orchard for wildlife. The pro operator has ran a dozer for over 40 years. I would say that he didn't waste a spoonful of topsoil on the whole project. I was please with his work and the final bill. Again, I own a dozer that runs great but I hired a pro with a big D8 and I'm pleased.

(I had to edit).

I own the 2nd largest Skid steer John Deere makes. 18 inch trees and stumps is no job for a skid steer. Yeah, a skid steer would probably move them once they are cut off at the stump and topped but, grubbing the stumps and such is a job better suited for a dozer. If the trees have a deep tap root, you might find the dozer less desirable than a decent track hoe, Unless its a really big dozer. But, it'll likely do it even if its smaller. It'll just take longer and do more damage to the residual soil bed. Consider paying a good operator. I know it seems easy but, a good dozer operator is rare and, has no equal in ability and what he leaves you with. Whatever you decide, Good luck. If you do it yourself make sure ot cut the dead trees before shoving them over. And, God Bless brother

I would go with the dozer hands down before I would try and use a mini or skid steer. I run equipment 5 days a week to pay the bills and run cattle on the side. I would prefer a bigger excavator to do a patch that small. I like it cause you can pile the trees higher and I have better luck keeping the dirt out of the tree pile. And don't seem to knock as many small limbs off, so less to pick up by hand. But if you have track very far it's not as good. And the plus about the dozer is you drop the ripper in the ground and bust up the roots so you don't have to fight them as much with the tillage equipment. But if you use an excavator it needs a thumb to do a better job.

By: t-roy

t-roy's embedded Photo

If you go the skid loader route, get a stump bucket. It works awesome, except on hickory trees. The taproot on them is a PITA.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.