SILVERADO 28-Feb-18
SILVERADO 28-Feb-18
SILVERADO 02-Mar-18
Langbow 04-Mar-18
SILVERADO 04-Mar-18
Langbow 05-Mar-18
RIT 14-Apr-18

Date:05-Dec-17

looking for an easy no till broadcast seed for shaded area Looking to increase deer activity and browse

any thoughts?

What's growing there now? What time of the year do you want to increase deer activity? Might just spread fertilizer and lime and boost whatever is already there.

How shaded is it? Under a full canopy in a forest type of shade, or shaded half a day clearing in the forest type of shade? What do you want to grow there? I've done throw-n-mow successfully with wheat, oats, winter rye, buckwheat, millet, beans, milo, turnips, radishes, and sunflowers. Real easy to do with a sprayer, some sun, and rain.

I am with Pat on this. I have tried throw and grow and all I did was throw away money. Ken

Throw and mow is different from throw and grow. Throw and mow means that something is already growing there. You kill what's there, sow something else, and mow the dead vegatation. Throw and grow is throw some seed and walk away, then come back to a foodplot. Sometimes that will work with ryegrass on bare ground, but not much will grow in the woods with six inches of red oak leaves. I've had decent results with white clover, buckwheat, and rye grain with minimum prep on bare fround.

A leaf blower or a rake will clear the ground of debris, but most of the throw and grow stuff looks like they swept it up off the floor. I would much rather plant a good blend from GRO that is a proven blend. If you can get to bare dirt, you can spread it and roll it in with a four wheeler or side by side.

I appreciate the input from you guys that are established food plot infectinados...I have annually considered throw n gro,,,until now. .I simply can't afford to waste money,,,,,thx

best thing alo g those lines is clover frost seeded.....assuming it's in a field or open area and skip is decent

By: RIT

RIT's embedded Photo

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a form of throw and mow. I did an acre this year and didn't spray before planting. The results were only the best food plot I have managed the past 5 years even with almost no rainfall. It's December and I still have deer routinely hitting the plot.

In years past I have disced, tilled, cultipacked. Plots look great until they didn't. I have poor soil that needs improvement and there is zero chance a disc makes it any better.

Just a little background I have about 3 hours spent on this plot. This site has been a food plot for the last 5 years. This year I let it go natural. I did fertilize the natural vegetation in the spring. I had volunteer brassicas, clover, ragweed, a few other natural "weeds" that the deer didn't mind browsing on.

September 1st I broadcast Winter rye, clover, and a few tillage radishes into the 3-4' vegetation. I then mowed it to the ground with a brush hog and walked away. I ended up with a nice stand of WR, clover, a few radishes, and more volunteer brassicas. The plot is virtually weed free.

For the original post, I'd suggest rye and clover for an easy no till broadcast seed for a shady area. You'll get some growth with minimal input. That should increase deer activity. A chainsaw will increase browse better than any thing you could sow. Nice looking plot RIT. some of my best plots were done similar to yours, but the prep work was done in the years before.

If you are not going to do much ground prep choose a small seed variety. Rape, Clover, Winter Rye, and be sure to fertilize. Agree with others in that tilling and ground prep and doing it right to start with you are money ahead.

Date:06-Dec-17

Catscratch's embedded Photo

I don't care how anyone plants their plots but I hardly see how throw n mow would be throwing money away. It costs no more to plant a field than buying seed and a gallon of generic gly. No tractor, no fuel, no implements to buy. Of course if you already had a tractor and implements then I could see how you would consider tillage a cheap alternative, but even then it still doesn't get cheaper than seed and spray. A crop failure is expensive in many respects (time and money), but throw-n-mow is almost impossible to get a failure with so I don't see the dislike for it.

Date:08-Dec-17

If there is anything green and growing there now(besides trees) you may have some luck. Id start by thinning your trees for more light. As for throw and grow. That is garbage seed. I plant all my plots with a sprayer(Gly) and a roller. kill vegetation, then spread seed and roll right before a good heavy rain.

Date:21-Feb-18

Oats for sure are the easiest things to grow out there. As long as they get sunlight. Same with all brassicas and clover. The key is sunlight, decent soil, spraying weeds, and you have a plot.

Date:22-Feb-18

Winter cover crop rye is about as "throw and grow" as it gets. With a little rain it will grow on a parking lot. A great fall attractant crop and soil builder. For annuals, a white clover blend spread in February on semi bare or bare ground can/should yield a productive stand. Mow to control weeds

By: GLP
Date:24-Feb-18

I use throw and grow in my fall plots. I mix 1 lb of clover with a bag of throw ang grow, but I still till fertilize an lime and till. I have had fantastic results with this. In February I frost seed clover. Works well for small plots in the woods ( 1/8 acre )

Date:28-Feb-18

SILVERADO's embedded Photo

I’m trying it for the first time this year. I will be unable to till. There have been no food plots there previously. I am planning on using lime and fertilizer (10.10.10) unless u guys think something else. I’m from CT and unfortunately will not be able to hunt this property until Nov 1. Any suggestions the picture of the 2 open areas I’m planning on trying plots on.

SILVERADO's embedded Photo

Stand locations are red dots

Both fields are roughly 14,500 sq ft. Do you think it would be better to grow the same product or 2 different

Date:02-Mar-18

Ttt

Date:04-Mar-18

Are you planting in spring or fall?

Date:04-Mar-18

Spring

Date:05-Mar-18

I would try 2 different products. I am curious how it goes, I have tried and failed with throw and grow efforts.

Date:14-Apr-18

What is growing there now?

If not much or just natural weeds/vegetation I would just fertilize it and let it go all natural. Depending on how involved you want to get you could do a soil test or just hit it with a general triple 19.

I wouldn’t plant a spring plot. What I would do those is hinge a couple trees on the outside to help get a little more light into the openings if it is rather shady. Then around late july/early August I would broadcast winter rye, some white clovers, and tillage radishes into the standing vegetation. Then I’d mow it down and walk away. Or use whatever tools you have at your disposal. I’d be willing to bet by November you will have a nice stand of winter rye. As your soil improves you can add things like AWPs and a few other brassicas.

I started this last year on piss poor soil and it was pretty successful. As I improve soil it will only get better. I have deer still feeding in the winter rye every night.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.