t-roy 12-May-20
Pat Lefemine 12-May-20
BullBuster 12-May-20
Jack 08-Sep-20
matman 11-Oct-20
BullBuster 11-Oct-20
krieger 11-Oct-20

Date:26-Nov-17

Seriously considering purchasing the FPS implement but would like to talk to someone who has used one for a while. If you would not mind sharing your insights for 15 minutes send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call..... or I can PM my number.

Thanks Mike

I am also considering. It would be nice to have someone post on the thread not just a PM. I thought I did see a video with Pat doing a review. It is tough planting the proper amount of seed per acre with a broadcast spreader like I have been the last 10-years. I think I am overseeding.

No experience with a Woods seeder but Tri-Star Seed has a chart that shows rates for properly fertilized and correct pH soil for both drilled and broadcast. My habitat thread shows results for broadcasting using their rates. Hope that helps. I cannot afford a drill but if I win the lottery (which I never play) this would be one of my first purchases. GL!

Me and you both Frank, lottery included !

Date:27-Nov-17

How much of a time saver is it? Allow you to do it all with one pass? How many small seed boxes do you have and if 2 are you using both? Are you using the large seed and small seed boxes in the same pass and if so, is that working well? Not a tractor expert.... can you enlighten me on the quick hitch vs. cat 1 hitch vs. the floating hitch. Lastly....are you an independent opinion or did you get a discount on the equipment?

Mike

Perfect.... thanks Pat. Are you getting good downward pressure/depth with the disc? Each field situation will be different but generally are you having to disc multiple times?

Thanks Pat.... I'm convinced. Working with my woods dealer

Date:13-Dec-17

How does the woods seeder Work in the woods. In less than perfect soil conditions.

Date:14-Dec-17

I am done with the seed mixes. You can't get an even dispersal when you broadcast a mix with a hand spreader. Pat most of my ground is rocky. We till disk and harrow everything and then broadcast everything, except for corn which we plant with planter. I am trying to decide between a drill and one of these seeders for my beans, clover and brassicas.

Date:14-Dec-17

Please let us know what you decide. I an Very curious to hear how it works on your soil. It sounds very similar to mine.

Date:17-Dec-17

Pat, When you run it over the clover are you angling the disc at all or going with straight alignment? I’m guessing adding some wheat in the large seed box during this process would work well also. Mike

Date:21-Dec-17

fastfoodplots's MOBILE embedded Photo

I've got a 72" Woods too. Thing works awesome. Pat's right, it does put your seed down with hardly any waste at all. This past year I've planted over 15 acres with it and the results were great. The nice part about one of these, you get a perfect even planting, rather than a spotty planting if you were to broadcast. I did a few acres of beans this year with it (without the row attachment) and they came up fine. I'm sure they would also grow better if they were row planted, but everything came up fine and the deer certainly didn't mind!! I also planted all GRO blends this year with it without any issue. Everything came up great. The 72 is pretty heavy for sure. I use a 43hp tractor without a bucket and it handles it okay, but going up hills I sometimes have the front tires lift up. The JD pictured is a 37hp and with the bucket to offset the rear weight, you wouldn't know the seeder was back there.

Date:05-Mar-18

As a follow up I purchased the 60” model and my tractor seems to be handling without problem. I appreciate everyone’s comment. Dry helpful when making an investment like this. Hopefully I can follow up with pics of some great looking plots Mike

By: t-roy
Date:05-Mar-18

Enjoy it, Mike!

Date:03-Apr-19

As a follow up. After owning a year I am happy with my investment. It is a big time saver and does a great job. I planted soybeans, wheat, oats and clover. I followed Pat’s advice and planted wheat in all my clover plots and that turned out very well. The only negative was that I never really got the cultipacker applying good pressure. I will probably will go over any small seed plantings with a cultipacker this year. Not really a negative but I removed the seed tubes as the just seemed to be in the way. Seed drops straight out of the box and works just fine.

Mike

Date:03-Apr-19

Awesome thread with a lot of great info....thanks guys!

Keep the info and pics coming!

Mark

By: matman
Date:12-May-20

Did anyone have the problem of seed tubes being blocked by dirt from the disc. What was the best way to correct this. I also have a couple tubes on the seeder not perfectly aligned with the cut on the disc, what should I do to correct these issues. Thanks, Matt

By: t-roy

matman....... I’ve never used one of those types of seeders/grain drills, but years ago, we used to plant corn and soybeans with a John Deere 494A planter that had a shoe type opening on it vs disc openings. Occasionally, if you dropped the planter down while sitting still, or, more often, if the tractor/planter rolled back, even just a few inches, the opening on the shoe would occasionally get plugged with dirt. Don’t know if that’s possible with those drills, but thought I’d throw that out as a possibility.

There’s no shoe on the woods seeder. I’ve never had that happen. Are you running it in mud? I’ve used mine every year for the last 6 years. The only problem I ever had was the seed will slide to the downhill end on the legume box when planting on a hillside.

Matman I have the same problems. Adding mud scrapers helps but the seed alignment is an issue. I don’t get good seed coverage in my clay soil. It is not a good seeder for heavy clay. I have to double or triple prescribed seed amounts in the big seed box. Less so in legume box.

By: Jack
Date:08-Sep-20

I have a Woods PSS72 as well. Fairly mixed results so far, but much of it is due to converting the acreage I have that has been in brome grass for decades; as well as learning as I go. Similar to above, downtubes plugged with dirt or even a bending/crimping has been an issue causing plugging. I put in 25 acres into a conservation program this year and had clogged tubes many times and finally removed them. The issue can possibly be resolved by cutting them back some, but removal works as well if not looking for rows. I also, mis-judged on the rate setting and used entirely more seed than I should have. Micro movement with mixed seed blends has a significant impact. Very expensive when planting switch grass, blue stem, etc. One thing I also didn't figure out my first year is the cultipacker and making sure those retainer bolts on the sides were loose to let it swing free so it uses the full cast iron weight to pack. Puts down nice corduroy when it works right. It would be great if some of you guys that have had success put some videos out there on the how to's. Lots of learning curve which have lead to mediocre, sometimes frustrating, results. I hear hydraulic top link is also a game changer. Adding one of those for next year....

By: matman
Date:11-Oct-20

Had a chance to use my planter on about 30 acres this year fps72. On fields that were planted the year before results were excellent. I planted some fields that weren't tilled in 20 years, results were very good. I think on those fields I had about 70% seed growth which when you figure time saved and fuel saved I am more than happy. I don't like using it on rocky patches because it beats up the discs, on regular ground works nice. Spring I planted oats with clover, oats was a little spotty but clover looks good. Late summer I planted radishes, turnips and brassica they all came up really nice. Some of those fields weren't tilled in 20 years ph was good in all fields. I highly recommend this seeder, it saved me a lot of time.

I’ve used my FPS72 for 2 seasons. I’d sell it for $7500. Idaho.

Dang, that's a long way from Iowa.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.