Mr.C 13-Nov-17
LKH 13-Nov-17
Joey Ward 13-Nov-17
mn_archer 13-Nov-17
MK111 13-Nov-17
mn_archer 14-Nov-17
Michael Schwister 14-Nov-17

Date:13-Nov-17

So im finally going to open up some land for some food plots this spring. ive got 1.4 miles of old logging road that was last travelled on roughly 6 years ago. There is misc brush growing up everywhere, but I can still easily get my atv or argo through it. the average size would be about 1 inch or a little less in diameter but there are a small handful of 2 inch aspens.

im going to bring a skid steer in this spring with a brush hog and clear the road out and a couple openings, just curious in your guys experience how long before the brush is rotted down enough where I can get it cut up with an atv disk drag.

thanks

By: Mr.C

1"or 2" aspin I would say I couple winters it should be getting soft ,but im sure that depends on moisture as well .... brush hog chops um up pretty good though good luck

By: LKH

Well, on POW Island, on of the big trees falls and it's about 300 years before it's gone.

I'd think you'd have to spray to kill the root systems too. Otherwise things will start sprouting in the Spring.

im going to brush hog it like crazy when the ground is still frozen then I do plan on spraying it right away next spring. There are some areas that are open and tillable so I will get a disk drag on those areas right away after the ground thaws and get some clover going.

im really looking to get some more feed in the area for all game- rabbits, deer, and grouse. im looking at planting the road into clover, something that will only need to be replanted every few years or so. There are some natural openings and slashing areas where I plan to put in some brassicas when im able for later in the year

thanks guys

By: MK111

If you are planting brassica I would do a soil test to see if lime is needed. Clover will grow in about any soil.

Date:14-Nov-17

Well I'm in north central Minnesota so I need something that grows in a lot of sand and yield results later in the year like now or December. From all of the research I've done it seems like everybody is pointing towards brassicas.

The area I will be working is difficult access to say the least. Can get a skid steer in there in the Spring when the ground is still frozen otherwise the only thing I'll be able to get in there would be an ATV or my Argo. So I can get rid of the brush with the skid steer but to till the ground up it's gonna need to be done with my ATV.

Date:14-Nov-17

Winter wheat or cover crop rye broadcast into standing soybeans when the leaves turn yellow/brown will give you a beans and greens draw and be a best case scenario. Make sure you use an appropriate early maturing soybean same as local farmers, probably 1s or 2s depending on where in Minn, and not indeterminate forage beans like Eagle (I use eagle on my place in VA,but we do not get frost until late OCT or early NOV, and that is long enough for high pod production and time for winter rye to green up once leaves fall). You can also broadcast brassicas into a cat 0 or 00 bean in early august. Grandpa Ray has some very early maturing bean for this purpose

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.