Mark Watkins 26-Sep-17
Woods Walker 26-Sep-17
USMC0351 27-Sep-17
Olink 27-Sep-17
USMC0351 29-Sep-17
USMC0351 29-Sep-17

Date:14-Sep-17

USMC0351's MOBILE embedded Photo

HI. Was hoping someone could ID (in yellow circles) this plant or weed for me. I planted G.R.O. Grains and Greens. I just don't know what it is.... Thanks!

Send a text photo to "Nutritionist"...he'll tell you what it is....I texted him about this thread....so hopefully, you'll have an answer shortly.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I think they grow about everywhere,I haven't ever seen them get big enough to worry about,easy to kill

Looks like Purslane just starting to sprout.

Yup.

It seems to look similar to pictures of Purslane looking it up on google. I also read whitetails do eat it. If it is Purslane would it be better to just leave it or try and spot spray gly to control? As small as my plot is it would still take awhile to spot spray... and i suppose i would run the risk of killing off some of the good stuff I want growing.

Woods Walker's embedded Photo

Could be spurge too (photo), but I still lean towards purslane. If you break a spurge stem there's a milky substance that comes out.

it is not spurge.

If purslane it also is called pig weed. It is edible and a bit like water cress. Hell to eradicate.

Date:15-Sep-17

I planted Grains 'n Greens last year. I had similar growth early after the planting, and I never had had any pigweed in my plot. Hopefully, nutritionist will respond....I brought this thread to his attention.

yep......weed! The one thing that I want to point out is to always check any bag of seed you buy for weed seed amounts. I am not in business to sell weeds. I am about to pick up a really large account because they current supplier is having some weed seed issues in their grains.

This is why I tell people that there are very few seed growers. But the few seed growers also sell various qualities of seed. Buy from wildlife companies who buy better LOTS of seed from reputable seed distributors.

Purslane

By: x-man

We call it pig-weed here. Last thing to die, first to come back after spraying.

So would it be a good idea to try and spot spray it? Or to much risk of killing off the good stuff?

LOOK AT THAT, I GOT ONE RIGHT!

By: GF

Deer eat it. That's one helluva good reason to NOT spray it, IMO.....

well, going out and looking at it now it is pretty wide spread so spot spraying is out of the question.... is there anything that can be sprayed to kill it without harming the Grains and Greens?

Nutritionist- I'm assuming you are just generalizing in the comment about weed seeds in other seed blends? Or is that weed I have something that may have been in the Grains N Greens seed blend? Thanks everyone!!

"Deer eat it. That's one helluva good reason to NOT spray it, IMO....."

Agreed. I mean after all, isn't that the whole POINT of a food plot?

Date:16-Sep-17

I'm thinking the same Woods Walker.

Sounds like a forum topic.....look for the new post on here.

Purslane is NOT pigweed. And I used to get concerned about Purslane when it 1st showed up in my plots a few years ago. But then I realized that my deer eat the crap out of it. I consider it one of my "good" weeds.

Date:26-Sep-17

Update picture of this "weed" I don't think it's purslane... I can't seem to find a google result that looks like what I have. Maybe someone will recognize it better now....

Ragweed?

By: Olink

You have carpetweed. And as others have stated, purslane is NOT pigweed. Amaranth is pigweed.

By: Sivart

Not pigweed. You'll know when you have pigweed. It's the worst.

Having planted (and managed)52 acres of food plots again this year.....There are a lot of things t worry about in this world, but IMHO this isn't one of them. Enjoy watching the critters utilize what you planted and your deer hunting days!

and yes, Nutrionist's products rock!

Mark

Seeing this newest pic I agree that it's not purslane.

Date:27-Sep-17

Thanks everyone. I'll leave it alone and not worry about it! Besides, I already took an 8 point on our opening morning archery Sat. 23rd on the plot. I'll get a pic as soon as I can. Not a monster but pretty good anyways..

By: Olink
Date:27-Sep-17

USMC - did you see my post that what you have growing there is carpetweed? The stuff can become a real pita but this late in the year it shouldn't be a problem. Carpetweed loves to fill in spots where nothing is growing. The best defense is to have a thick, healthy foodplot that will cover and shade out the carpetweed.

Date:29-Sep-17

Olink- I did. Thank you

Date:29-Sep-17

Buck I harvested opening morning on my food plot here in Arkansas. He ran about 20yds, he was directly facing me at 37 yds. Bolt entered chest and partially exited lower abdomen. Thinking back I should have drug him back to the plot for a pic! next time....

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.