t-roy 09-Aug-17
drycreek 09-Aug-17
Twanger 21-Aug-17
Habitat for Wildlife 21-Aug-17
Habitat1 21-Aug-17
Twanger 21-Aug-17
Carnage2011 21-Aug-17

Date:04-Aug-17

We have about 8 acres of clover in 11 plots that I need to spray for grasses. I have an ATV. What sort of system would you recommend for spraying the fields? We already have a 25 gallon tank with a pump capable of 60 psig but I would be willing to buy a complete system if necessary.

By: LKH

It depends on your terrain. If you have level ground then either a tow tank or back of the wheelie will do. In steep terrain you must be extremely careful with the wheelie mounted type. Putting roughly 350 pounds up high really makes the wheelie prone to rollover and with that added weight you can easily tip and get pinned.

I have the tow tank and the best part of it is that it's about 45 seconds to have it off and the wheelie free for other uses. It has a spray width of 10'. That means to go across a "squared acre". (200' per side you must make 20 trips). It's why I pay to have most spraying done.

I average about 25 gallons per acre when I spray.... 200 gallons might cover 8 acres without a refill. It's nice if you could only fill up once and mix once.

The terrain is mostly flat but there are a few humps and side hill. What makes and models? Can I just buy a spray boom for the tank and pump that I have? We have a good size Kubota for the 25 gallon tank so it seems to be just fine for the terrain in most spots.

I also have two systems. One is a 25 gallon boomless for tight places and narrow places. It fits in my Ranger bed. The other is a 60 gallon boomless that goes on my tractor. Both have a wand for spot spraying. The 25 gallon I adapted from a trailer mount to fit in my Ranger. Easy to load and easy to drain and wash out.

Date:05-Aug-17

Crop Care Equipment makes very nice sprayers. A little pricey but very good quality.

By: Ben
Date:05-Aug-17

I have a 10' boom that I made a bracket to slip in my hitch pocket on the Kawasaki Mule and just hooks up to the pump on my 25 gallon tank. I have a 300 gallon with 2 fold down booms to give me 30' spread but, I pull it behind the tractor.

Date:08-Aug-17

Thank you for the responses. Those that are using a boomless system, does that mean that you are spraying with just a hand wand? That is what got me to start this thread. I sprayed a little over an acre with a hand wand on a hot, sunny day and it was more than I want to do again. Those that are using the 120" booms, what sort of pump are you using? What pressure and gpm? Thanks again for the help. I do agree that spraying is no fun at all.

Boomless are usually a three nozzles set mounted on a short bar that sprays a wide swath. A 5 to 7 nozzle boom rig spraying 100" or 140" wide path will use a 2.1gpm to 3.5gpm 12V pump. Pressure varies with pump and nozzles used. ATV sprayers will use a 80 deg spray nozzle, shorter tow sprayers might use a 110 deg spray nozzle for use 20" above vegetation. Each set up for 20" effective spray width per nozzle.

My boomless on my tractor has only one brass nozzle and it sprays about 25' wide. The atv sprayer has two plastic nozzles and will get about 12' wide. The disadvantage of boomless is that wind is not your friend and the spray is not as fine. But, I never have any trouble getting my spray where I want it for the most part. I don't mind the spraying, it's the clean-up that's a pita.

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

OK, this ain't pretty but I put it together with spare parts (except the boomless wand which I ordered on-line at a fraction of retail) to complement my 50 gallon PTO driven tractor sprayer.

It is a 3.8 gpm pump and 35 gallon tank. I can switch the boomless out with a hand held in less than a minute. Must wear gloves!

Works great for the 3 acres we live on and small jobs where the hassle of hooking the sprayer to the tractor for less than one full tank is not worth it.

I know, it looks like crap but works great for me!

By: Ben

The 10' (120") that I use behind my K Mule is using the pump that came on the 25 gallon tank. It came with the hand held wand and I disconnect the hose for it at the pump and hook up the hose for the boom. The tank pump has a switch on the leed wire and it is long enough that I can operate the switch from the seat of the Mule and turn it off and on whenever I want. Most of the time it is used with the wand for thistle and noxious weeds. If you want to see a picture of the setup I can take a picture tomorrow.

By: t-roy

Holy smokes Habitat! Looks like you'd be doing wheelies with that tank full on your wheeler! I have a Polaris 850, and my 25 gallon tank squats it pretty good with a full tank.

Agreed drycreek. The cleanup sux!

Yes, I sit a little forward and unfortunately that balances it perfectly, lol.

Date:09-Aug-17

drycreek's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is my "tight places" spray rig. It was on a trailer and I had to pull it with my zero-turn mower. I used it mostly around the yard, etc. I bent the trailer tongue and decided to put it on a frame that could fit in my Ranger, where it would be much more useful.

drycreek's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have enough wire to go to the battery directly and a toggle switch to turn it on and off from the driver's seat. A couple valves so you can turn it off, to the wand, or to the nozzles. Works pretty well and in the bed I get a little more width out of the spray.

Good idea. I wired a two-pole with switch directly to the battery as well which allows me to quickly switch out implements like my sprayer and spreader.

Drycreek, I think we may have the same tank and pump that you have. I just need a nozzle system. Can you share what you have for nozzles and where you got them?

Twanger, the whole setup was on a trailer that had about 8" wheels on it, very low to the ground. This spring, I cleared an area in front of my house and planted it to grass. While spraying roundup on the weeds a pine limb ran up under the axles and flipped the rig bending the tongue of the trailer. I had already been thinking about doing something different and that gave me the impetus to do it. You can order almost anything you need from Northern Supply, and probably better grade pumps than the ones at Tractor Supply, which is where this one was bought. Fimco pumps are not top tier IMO. When this one quits, I'll replace it from Northern.

By: t-roy

You mean Northern Tool, correct? Agreed, Fimco products aren't top of the line, IMO.

Yes Northern Tool. Thanks Troy.

Date:21-Aug-17

We rented a pull behind unit with a 50 gallon tank, Honda gas driven pump and a 10' boom with 6 spray nozzles that could put down 12.6 gallons per acres at 5 mph. I thought that it worked very well. The coverage seemed good and it went very fast. It only took about 10-15 minutes per food plot. We did 10 plots in 2 to 2 1/2 hours with one and a half tanks. That's for the input. Now we just have to decide if we want to buy a unit or continue to rent one. It only cost us $70 to rent the unit for a day the Amish business owner was very flexible about pick and return times.

Keep renting is my .02. Glad it worked out well for you.

I would fill it up with straight water and spray a known area,this can be figured on draftlogic pretty close.then you will know what you get per tank.i am guessing since you are spraying grass you will be spraying some form of cleth.I use a single boomless nozzle and it does around 12ft and I can do 2 acres on 25 gal.

We did put in straight water and sprayed on asphalt at what we thought was 5 mph and got a completely wet surface. We sprayed cleth. at the max. recommended dosage with crop oil added. The volume we used and what we estimated the acreage at came out close to 12.6 gallons per acre. I am hopeful that we will see good results. It did rain some about 2 hours after. Hopefully that did not have too much effect.

Lookup jackrabbit pro sprayers from Warne Chemical. Awesome sprayer and much easier than anything I've seen on here.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.