Habitat for Wildlife 20-Nov-17
t-roy 20-Nov-17
spike78 20-Nov-17

Date:01-Jul-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

I could not find this old thread. We documented our habitat projects we did on the three acres we live on in a rural development.

Our lot is pie shaped with the wide base on a downhill slope dumping into a creek drainage.

1.5 acres was planted into native grasses and forbs, with white and red oak surrounding it.

Wanted to share some recent pictures. I am on my phone but when I go in later I will post a trail cam picture of a doe with her 2 fawns. For the better part of ten years a doe has always kept one fawn on our property for a time period right after birth.

One thing we are very happy with.. The trees along the creek are mostly elm, hackberry, wild cherry, cottonwood and a few walnut. There were no oaks. Now there are saplings of oaks mixed in, no doubt from the acorns our trees have produced.

The Big Bluestem is really putting on seed heads right now. This is my favorite variety at this time. The Indian Grass will take a little longer, but is hard to beat for looks in the Fall.

Here is the doe with two fawns. I started catching a fawn on camera about 6/10. Date on camera is not correct. I use my best cameras at the farm.

Sorry, I never get tired of sharing these small "victories". Also, I realize many think some of us do "habitat management" as a way to making hunting better. I am of the mindset that I really don't own the land, the title obligates me to be a good steward until I can no longer do so properly.

Date:09-Jul-17

The big Bluestem is going crazy!

Date:09-Jul-17

Date:12-Jul-17

This guy started showing up daily about 1 week ago and since then the fawns have only been out after dark. Fairly good size yote IMO, height-wise.

By: t-roy

Looks like he needs a lead implant!

Very nice work. You better take out that yote though.

Date:13-Jul-17

Thanks. Amazing how they know a food source is near. I see the same pattern each year. The fawns usually survive.

Date:21-Jul-17

This is cool. Look at this fawn dive into the tall native grass. A few minutes later the yote walks by and stops and smells where it jumped in. The yote did not go into the tall grass, my guess is the fawn is safe in there. Look how high she can jump.

By: MQQSE
Date:21-Jul-17

I am very happy to see the amount of love and enjoyment you have in managing your property.

Keep up the good work. I can truly lean a lesson from you and your outlook.

Date:25-Aug-17

HOW- I'm interested in native grasses. Sounds like you went with Big Blue Stem and Indian? Could you clue me into why those? Also did you do any switchgrass? I am a complete novice and have an area on my 8 acres I would like to do this for deer cover.

I'm assuming shade be an issue for most of those grasses?

Date:25-Aug-17

Hello V&V.

NG does need full sun most of the day. I planted big Bluestem, little Bluestem, switch, Indian, side oats, and Eastern Gamma in the low moisture area.

This is the 9th year, and I have burned every year since the second year. The big blue, and to a lesser extent the Indian started to dominate. One or two varieties dominating after some time is normal. Depending on soil type, presence of limestone, sandstone etc, some grasses will just do better.

I planted the same mixture on my farm, and switch is strong in some area, Indian in others. This is over 50 acres.

Good luck and be patient. It usually takes at least three years for a decent stand. The first you will see next to nothing! Keep us updated please.

Date:20-Nov-17

Just wanted to share some buck pictures from our back yard micro habitat. These are all in the last 2 weeks. Camera dates are incorrect as they are old and mostly broke. LOL!

At least 8 different bucks visited in the last 2 weeks. I am only capturing the big doe with one fawn at a time, so I don't know if both survived. I have not sat in the stand I put up, but I may have had better luck here at home killing a buck than I have hanging one in the dark elsewhere.

I would say the bottom deer is a 3.5 and the top is a 5.5+.

By: t-roy

Very nice, Frank!

So this is all on 3 acres? I ask cuz I want to buy some land but I can’t afford that much. I’m trying to figure out what the minimum amount I would need. Your property looks awesome.

Thanks guys.

This 3 acres backs up to a wooded creek that travels from a major nursery/agriculture area to the east and agriculture/cattle pasture to the west. Without that setup it would be difficult to attract this much wildlife to such small property. The right lay out is more important than size IMHO. GL!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.