Norseman 07-May-17
Norseman 07-May-17
Kodiak 08-May-17
Bowhuntingboy 08-May-17
Grubby 08-May-17
Bowhuntingboy 08-May-17
r-man 14-May-17

Date:28-Apr-17

Hi, I am in central mn and have planted 4 Apple trees. I am looking for two more species of fruit and/or but tree that near fast and grow a in mn that deer love. I am looking to plant 2 more trees.

By: t-roy

Some type of crabapple and some pears.

35-Acre's Supporting Link

Pears. They drop the fruit later in the season than apples. You should check out the thread on here about planting a pear orchard. Lots of useful stuff there from a lot of members.

Pears in MN are a little more difficult I believe.....and I am not sure I would say they generally drop later than apples. I would say in general the opposite is true.

I have a pretty good list I have posted before and I will dig it up and double check it for your zone....the cold winters cant preclude some trees due to their lack of winter-hardiness.

Also . Looking for trees that take 1-3 years to grow. Not 4+

You will be battling the cold.....not sure if you are in Zone 3 or 4 but I would likely ditch the pear idea totally. I looked up some cold hardy varieties and looks like you may want to focus on crabapples.....Dolgo, Chestnut, and Whitney are good ones that I have planted in our place. I would suggest you contact St Lawrence Nursery and ask what they recommend for your Zone.....they deal specifically in cold hardy trees.

Also.....I think you likely can get fruit at year 3 but I wouldn't expect a "good" amount until 5+.....that's the reality.

Date:07-May-17

You are dreaming if you think a new tree is going to produce a lot of mast in 1-3 years, unless you buy some really big starters. In MN, you may also have issues with bears and moose, like i do in Idaho. I have to fence them with hot wires. Won't be able to tolerate those critters until they are over 8 year old, i would guess. And even then.....

Deer love my apple trees in MN.

Yeah, my area never has had moose any less any part of mn these days. The closest moose to my area is 250 miles away. We have bears, but not in very large amounts, we dont have them often. Only deer and varmints.

http://www.myminnesotawoods.umn.edu/2008/11/recommended-trees-for-minnesota-by-region/

Have you looked for Torres that may draw in deer other than fruit bearing. Like cedar or Spruce ... create a bedding habitat ?

Date:08-May-17

Agree, Haralsons are tops. What a great apple.

We already have plenty of nautral cedars, we planted red pines, white pines. tHERE IS ALREADY MAPLES, OAKS, POPLAR, BIRCH. Last year, we planted 2 honeycrisps,one haralson, and one sweet 16 and they are 6-8 feet talland budding inside snowfence. The entire poperty is bedding habitat. I am just wondering what nut or trees other than apple that work. Thanks for all the advice though.

By: Grubby

I have some flowering crabs....not sure on variety but they have apples with no taste maybe as big as a penny. The deer love them and they will hang on to fruit until very late. Birds love them too. I'm up by lake of the woods and they produce every year. I have a bunch of dolgo crabs to plant tonight.

Thanks guys

By: r-man
Date:14-May-17

pears !

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.