drycreek 10-Apr-17
bfisherman11 10-Apr-17
drycreek 10-Apr-17
wacem 10-Apr-17
r-man 10-Apr-17
bfisherman11 11-Apr-17
Ben Farmer 13-Apr-17

Date:10-Apr-17

I want to roll my plot to firm up the seed bed before planting. I used my tractor to plow and disc a new spot last weekend. A cultipacker is pretty expensive plus worried my tractor would just chew up the loose soil too much.

Tractor Supply has a 24"x48" steel roller that weighs 920# with water. They also have a poly one 18"×48" that weighs 550# with water. Wish they were 5' wide but not.

I'm leaning towards the lighter poly one because my land is hilly and I will be using my UTV to roll my plot.I don't want the roller to be too heavy for the UTV to pull through the loose soil and up hill.

What do you think? I have never pulled a roller before. Not sure how hard it is to pull.

Thanks, Bill

bfisherman11's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is what my plot looks like now. I want to disc one more time then roll.

Thanks Bill

That's what I was thinking why the UTV would be best. Also think I should go over it again with the disc because some of those high spots might be clods...

Thanks! Bill

Looks to me like you disced too early when too wet.....now its all clumpy

I'd wait until it dries out more and disc the crap out of it to break clumps....then rolling with about anything will work.

By: Teeton

Yes looks clumpy like stated above do what Cas-hntr said.. What seed you putting down? I don't have a roller. I after putting the seed down drive over it with the two trucks or tractor. You can see right where you just drove, so keep moving. My biggest plot is 1.5 acres and it don't take me and hour to do. Works great.

By: test1

I used a roller once, it sucks. Don't waste your money. Better just to drive a quad around.

drycreek's embedded Photo

This cost about $40 worth of chain and couplers. Not easy to move, so I have one on each property I do food plots on, but it does a good job of smoothing after discing.

I am letting it dry now and do plan on disc-ing again. That should bust up the clods more. This was all pasture/weed before got to work so I wanted to get the soil cut before things hardened/dried up. I find it easier to cut through the grasses this way.

I am planting two Grandpa Ray Products sold by John O'Brian (Nutritionist here).

1st) Primetime (Experimental mix) Frosty Berseem clover 20% Fixation Balansa clover` 20% Alsike Clover 20% Ladino Clover 10% $6 Plantain 10% Small Burnet 10% Medium Red Clover 10% Planting date April 1- June 15, August 1- Sept 1

2nd) 3x (Elite mix) alfalfa 75% ladino clover 15% Our high tonnage legume mix. We could see 6 ton of dry matter/acre chicory 10% Planting dates: April 1-June 1, August 1-Sept 15 Planting Depth: ¼”

The tires on the drag will soon half fill up with dirt and I've found the final product is just right between too fluffy and too hard. Even when planting clover, I drag to smooth, then drag after seeding. Works well IF you have your soil broken up enough.

By: wacem

I use the 48" poly. It works great for me, both on clove and brassicas.

By: r-man

two 2"x10"x8' , and one 2x4x8' . cut the 2x4 in to 4 , 2 ft long pieces , use them to screw the 2x10" together , some rope and your ready . breaks up clumps and flattens things out with out compaction , last for yrs

Date:11-Apr-17

I bought a 18"x48" roller from farm and fleet. I also have a drag harrow so I will disc, drag and roll.

That should work with my UTV.

Thanks guys! Bill

Date:13-Apr-17

I'm planning on pulling a piece of chain link fence with a few cement blocks on it around on my atv. Ever done this before so gonna experiment with it.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.