flyingbrass 10-Apr-17
flyingbrass 21-Apr-17
nutritionist 22-Apr-17
flyingbrass 22-Apr-17
Hunt98 22-Apr-17
happygolucky 26-Apr-17

By: kyrob
Date:08-Apr-17

My clover and chicory are coming up good but are still tiny but the grasses are coming faster. Should I spray it with clethodim now or wait til the clover and chicory are bigger? I know cleth works best if grass is actively growing as I suppose it is now, but will the cleth kill the new c&c? Should I wait a month or two and mow then spray?

Thanks for any info, Rob

I sprayed a couple weeks ago, and last week my clover was growing strong and my grass was dying. First time I've ever sprayed this early, but it's been warmer than usual and I didn't want the grass to over run me.

My clover and chicory is just getting started but the grass is coming on strong. I am talking pin head size clover. Not sure if it will survive a cleth spray at this stage.

I spoke with Pennington Seedmaster Company last week about the same issue. I told them my clover and clover/chickory plots were coming up good but when should I spray them. They said I could spray for grasses this year but later. They advised me to wait until next year to spray for broadleafs. They also said their clover could withstand roundup/generic roundup but don't do it the first year. Hard to argue with the seed company.

pennington recommended 24D for broadleaf and Poast for grass

Date:09-Apr-17

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll stick to mowing til it gets going good and then spray it with the cleth. Their clover must be tough to take a dose of roundup and keep going. That's what I put out, their durana, and it came up good but seems to grow slower than the ladino or red I have used in the past.

By: t-roy
Date:09-Apr-17

Make sure you get 2,4-DB (butyrac) not just 2,4-D. The 2,4-D will kill your clover, the 2,4-DB will not. It's only one letter, but a pretty important one!

Date:10-Apr-17

I guess that is pretty important, one letter.

Date:21-Apr-17

I looked on our state university website and I guess it is wrong also, it says 2,4 D as well. Dodged a bullet there I guess. I ordered 2,4 DB so I'm good I guess. Hard to believe both our state agency and Pennington seed would have it wrong. Always good to double check I guess.

Date:22-Apr-17

You want to spray most weeds before they are 4-6" tall. But we also need effective herbicide kill and so we want actively growing weeds and an air temperature over 60 degrees.

Back to the original question. You asked when. I was told that you need to inspect your clover and don't spray until there are 3 leaves of 3 on each plant. Then to get rid of grasses you can spray the Dakota. I was told don't spray for broadleaf until the second year. This is info from keystonepestsolutions.com. Don't spray the 2,4db on chickory or it will kill it but you can spray it on clover the second season.

By: Hunt98

I have a clover and chickory plot that is 4 yrs old. Grass and weeds are prevalent. I have gly (41% I think). I want to try the gly method to kill the grass and weeds. It's a little under an acre. If I use 10 gallons of water from an atv sprayer. How much gly should I use (without killing the clover)?

Date:26-Apr-17

Add AMS to the Gly for a better kill.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.