Buck-man 14-Mar-17
Zbone 15-Mar-17
northbound 15-Mar-17
lewis 15-Mar-17
Mark Watkins 15-Mar-17
r-man 15-Mar-17
Buck-man 15-Mar-17

Date:14-Mar-17

I know most folks wait the 2 weeks to plant after spraying Glyphosate. My question is , is that really necessary ? lets say I tilled an old food plot, waited for new growth before killing with GLY, waiting a day or so then broadcasting new seed. Is this possible?

By: t-roy

Absolutely you could. As soon as it is dry, you're good to go. It won't be absorbed through the soil. It is absorbed into the plant through contact with the leaves.

By: LKH

I had an interesting experience with gly this past year. I've been planting various trees in 300' multi row plots for about 16 years. A few years back I had about 25 Rocky Mountain juniper die in one plot due to high water. I've been replanting for a few years and extending the plot. I had a patch that I killed, waited months, then tilled and covered with fabric mulch. After a few months I noticed it bulged and when I lifted it, Canadian Thistle was growing to pretty good lengths under it.

I sprayed it with gly and then the next spring I planted 5 junipers in it. All died by the end of the summer. Not sure what happened, but I suspect the gly never dried over the winter and killed the juniper.

T-roy I'm leaning your way with once dry good to go. LKH that's got me stumped.

By: Zbone
Date:15-Mar-17

Once it dries and say a heavy dew, can or will it then contaminate?

I spray after broadcasting my seed. Since I don't have a cultipacker I figure it helps set the seed where I drive with sprayer. I've done it with clover, oats, turnips, high sugar ryegrass and radishes. Even my lawn when I've felt the need to start over. Our pumpkin plots I spray like 3 days after planting. Have never had any germination issues. Just less weeds. I've done test strips to be sure I wasn't screwing myself. Gly only kills living green vegetation is my understanding.

By: lewis

It is foliar herbicide no foliage no kill there you go Lewis

I have done it twice exactly as Northbound describes.....the dying vegetation covers the seed (and I suspect holds moisture for the seed), helps with germination and because the soil was not tilled or disced, minimal weeds and grasses later on in the plots.

Worked like a charm!

Mark

By: r-man

I wait for rain , to dilute the gly, 1/4 -1/2" . I wont through seed on gly till it rains , or is tilled under. 7days wait for it to work , inspect for skips or resistant plants, kill them with something diff. I also test gly at rate I will spray it, then do so if good. all gly aint the same.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.