Michael Schwister 08-Mar-17
sticksender 08-Mar-17
t-roy 08-Mar-17
patience2spare 08-Mar-17
t-roy 08-Mar-17
Mike-TN 08-Mar-17
Mike-TN 08-Mar-17

Date:07-Mar-17

I am looking at planting forage soybeans for the first time here in northeast IN. Have spent the last couple seasons getting soil chemistry pretty much dialed in. Last year we only needed to add phosphorous according to our local extension.

The plot I have is shaped like a U and is about 1.75 acres. the arms of the U are only about 30yds across and 80 or so yds long , main body of the plot is probably 50yds across and close to 250yds long - to get a feel for the shape. To the south of the main body of the plot is another acre or so of prairie grass which makes a great bedding option and a soft transition to the hardwoods on south of that.

I have read that planting under 2 acres of beans can be a waste of time as the deer will browse the planting too heavily. Can the forage varieties like Eagle Seed's RR mixes keep up? We also have a TON of turkeys on the property so that would probably be a major early browse factor as well I am guessing.

I love the idea of a 9 or 10 month forage supply when including pod forage during late season. Do you think it is worth the investment? Probably cost me a couple hundred bucks in seed for the plot. Am I making a short lived donation for that or do you think I will actually get a plot to last the entire season out of it?

Thanks for your opinions! Pete

Date:07-Mar-17

drycreek's embedded Photo

I think it will depend on your deer density whether you can have a crop without fencing it. I've had no trouble at all, but my deer density is low and I plant probably four acres in several plots. I had great crops ( with bean pods too ) using RR Eagle beans, but I only planted them until I could knock back my weed infestation. After that, I transitioned to iron/clay peas because they're easier to grow and much cheaper. I always plant wheat/oats in the fall anyway for the same reasons.

Date:08-Mar-17

In my experience the answer is "it depends" If you can get your soil right (PH over 6.0, base sat K at 4%), plant in good soil conditions at the right time, and keep weeds under control then yes, in my experience the Eagle brand gamekeeper and wildlife managers mixes can and will keep up with and in fact ahead of heavy grazing. The deer will hammer them up until they turn brown, at which time you can broadcast over the beans with a fall greens brassica mix if enough time until frost, OR a winter grazing rye if there is not much time, and have a 9 month feeding/shooting plots even if there are not pods. It has been my go to method for 9 years now.

Recommend you go with 100# of winter grazing rye as a broadcast as soon as leaves turn brown, and 100# effective N in the form urea per acre (2 bags seed/2 bags urea per acre at same time) and you will have a beans and greens explosion throughout the season, maybe only a 2 week (one with timely rain) lull when bean leaves turn brown and greens are just starting.

Pete, I did forage beans last year in one of my 2-acre plots, the so called "manager's mix" (Eagle). They grew 4-5 feet high, but compared to standard beans, the pod production was very low. For that reason, I won't be planting them again. Here in Indiana farm country, there's no need to provide soybean "forage" in the summer time, since we already live in a vast, never-ending landscape of soybean and corn fields. The benefit of soybeans around here will be for those fields (our foodplots) that are left standing in the late fall and winter, long after all the ag fields are harvested. The pods in my plots get hammered in that time period. So I want the maximum production of pods, and the best shatter resistance so that the beans stay in the pods through December at least. I'll be reverting back to RW beans this year.

Tough to say how long your 2 acre stand would last in summer without knowing the size of your local deer population and what other food sources they'll be using.

By: t-roy

Sticksender X2. I also would HIGHLY recommend using an electric plot fence to keep the deer out of your beans if you want to feed them going into the winter months. Forage beans, for the most part, are pretty much done providing any food source after first frost. You have to either grow enough beans that they can't eat them all, or keep them out long enough for the plants to mature. I've been using electric plot fences for the last 7-8 years with great success. In my area, small plots (1-3acres) don't have a chance without the fences.

Also agree with Michael S. about interseeding some type of cereal grains or possibly brassicas into the standing beans for an additional food source/attractant to draw them in. There are several good threads on deerbuilder about the electric fencing. Good luck and enjoy every minute!

Thanks for the responses and telling me of your personal experiences!

I do like the idea of the beans and greens method. Had really been hoping that the forage beans would also produce significant pods to feed wildlife in the late season. Maybe my best option is just ag beans planted after farmers get their fields in? Then if they get browsed down before fall, I can broadcast rye or brassicas? I may try the Eagle beans for a year and put out a browse cage to see just how much pressure the plot sustains.

Our deer numbers are low post-EHD (but rebounding) and the Amish neighbors tend to leave their corn standing until nearly Feb so that it dries in the field... I was hoping for a food source that would also draw deer during late season or we pretty much stop seeing deer post rut. It's been hard to keep my daughter excited about deer hunting when she doesn't see deer!

By: t-roy

You might also consider planting at least part of your plot in a brassicas mix to draw in the deer late in the season.

Mike-TN's embedded Photo

If you have any deer the answer is " no". They will mow them down. Feat a fence and you can have an awesome bean plot .

Last pic was taken after my fence came down. Cut timber.... cleared ground....planted eagle. That was my first planting on that plot

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.