PaRay 06-Mar-17
t-roy 06-Mar-17
PaRay 06-Mar-17
brettpsu 06-Mar-17
t-roy 06-Mar-17
Mark Watkins 06-Mar-17

By: PaRay
Date:06-Mar-17

I'm gearing up for a new food plot season, and I was wondering if using a lawn roller for seeding instead of a cultipacker is useful? I hired an excavator to come in and clean out an additional acre of land that I will be utilizing as a food plot this fall, so money is tight right now, I would just go ahead and buy a cultipacker, but they seem pricey?

By: t-roy

It would work better than nothing for sure. Is it the type you fill with water? Heavier is better I would think. What are you planting? Did the excavator tear things up and leave it rough, or do you have equipment to be able smooth it out and prepare a good seed bed?

By: PaRay

The excavator has not started yet, but I have a drag harrow and a disc to clean it up once he has finished. I'll be planting brassicas and legumes mostly.

I use a lawn roller for my plots. Its 4' wide and probably 2' across. When full of water my ranger grunts some when pulling up the hills. Works well enough for me.

By: t-roy

First I would suggest getting a soil sample after you get it cleared and fertilize accordingly. I'm assuming you are just broadcasting your seed.? If so, you can very lightly disc your seed in or go over it with your harrow, then finally go over it with your lawn roller. You should be good to go. One suggestion. Pay close attention to the seeding rates. Too thick and your brassica bulbs will be stunted.

t-roy X2!

Mark

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.