Habitat for Wildlife 17-Feb-17
r-man 17-Feb-17
flyingbrass 17-Feb-17
ScottG 19-Feb-17
drycreek 19-Feb-17
Habitat for Wildlife 19-Feb-17
joe buck 02-Mar-17

Date:17-Feb-17

My new low land plot is on the edge of a swamp and there is thick white grass that I need to take of. Here are the options I came up with. Option 1 Brusshog Option 2 burn Option 3 round up and disc it in. I feel that the grass is so thick round up may have a hard time killing the new growth underneath. Any thoughts or ideas?

ScottG 's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is what I have. First time trying to submit a photo hope it works.

Just from what I see, burn, disc, gly after temps warm and you have growth, repeat last two steps as necessary.

Good luck!

By: r-man

just so you under stand , it looks like a swamp , maybe you can get rice to grow there . So don't use any of your options . you wou9ld need to drain it , ditch around it or through it first . Sorry but its the truth

you are wasting your time unless you plant for ducks, then I recommend japanese millet

Date:19-Feb-17

This area is only under water once every 5 or 6 years. Last fall before freeze up we had an exceptional amount of rain. Most years it is dry enough to work it. My only spot I can plant. It's only 20 acres, most of it is swamp. Wish I had higher ground to use but I don't.

If a tractor, or whatever you use, will stand up, I would do what Habitat said. Disc the edges, burn it, see what comes up, then gly, and possibly gly again before planting. But first, let it thaw out ! :)

It's amazing to me, the temperature differences in the USA right now. I tried to hunt javelina this weekend, and it was 86* in S Texas !

If you burn, wait for a rain to wash the ash away. It will clog a tractor's air filter very quickly.

Date:02-Mar-17

I've got 50 acres of land in Central Wisconsin that looks similar. I've got 3 different food plots on hat I consider the highest ground.

I repeatedly used round up to kill the marsh grass. I originally tried an ATV disk, but it would not cut through the thick grass.

I had soil samples taken and my PH was low (lime). I've had okay success with Alsike clover and winter rye.

Last year was really wet and 2 of my foot plots were very poor.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.