r-man 17-Oct-16
Mark Watkins 17-Oct-16
r-man 17-Oct-16
Mr.C 18-Oct-16
great white 18-Oct-16
XMan 18-Oct-16

Date:11-Oct-16

35-Acre's MOBILE embedded Photo

Does anyone have any experience with ATV Tow Behind Tillers? I have a 220CC ATV so it's under-powered for a lot of tillers. I started doing some research and saw 2 models that look like they would work. Reviews have people using them behind riding lawn mowers.

Field Tuff 36" ATV Tow-Behind Tiller

Agri-Fab 36" Universal Tow-Behind Tiller 45-0308

The problem is, I don't want to sink a lot of money into something. And options for a smaller ATV are hard to find. Looking for some experience/opinion and help.

I have the Tartaer Disc/Culipacker Combo. Works great for small jobs and best IMO for what your looking for. Its not a tractor so if the field needs alot of work, pay someone to disc it but then keep up on it and this will work wonders. Make sure your ATV/UTV has enough muscle though.

By: Mr.C

i have one like the black model but its a craftman(probably just a sticker) its a briggs a stratton engine..its been over 8 and still running strong .i tow it behind my craftsman lawn tractor and my wifes 220 kawasaki bayuo with great results but my garden is only 50' 100' when your tilling it dont take much throttle from the pulling machine,it sorta push`s you along......good luck keep the blades sharp

Date:12-Oct-16

Super! Thanks Mr. C. I have the same ATV

35 Acre, I started with implements like you describe being towed behind my ATV. I can write a lengthy post of all of the good and the bads of what I found......but the short story is I would either rent a compact tractor and the implements for a day OR hire a neighboring farmer to come in and work the ground and then do the planting (most seeds can be broadcast and packed) myself along with the spraying and any related mowing.

Hope this helps you out...

Mark

By: r-man

I forgot to type my thoughts, anyway yes they work fine, you need to spray the weeds and let the roots rot first , for about two weeks or they will rap around the tillers blades. also mow it flat.

I have to agree with Mark. You will save money and time. Also, you will likely have better results.

Date:13-Oct-16

Mark - thanks. I definitely have concerns over buying something and was thinking of all sorts of options like renting or a farmer but I keep coming up short on this... The problems range from the fact that my field is far into the woods and there aren't any farmers locally. I was actually thinking of calling a landscaper (like someone who would plant a lawn) and have them come in with a tractor. I definitely wouldn't try renting the tractor, the plot is on a hillside and I wouldn't have the guts to try turning a tractor on a hill (even if it's not too steep).

But I keep coming back to what I would need to do the following year -I would have to do this same thing over; never being able to do it myself. I'm trying to be a bit more self-sufficient in the long run.

By: Ambush

I'm also a die hard do it yourselfer. I only have a about 1 1/2 acres that snakes along above a small creek. It was previously logged and i did a lot of root picking. So far I've gotten by with a small disc made from an old drag set. I also made a small "comb" that is height adjustable and mounted in front of the discs. This makes sure that all sticks or roots are inline to travel direction and the disc won'y ride up on them.

But now i have way too much and too thick clover. My S.I.L. has a rototiller that mounts behind his large garden tractor and is/was PTO driven. That driveline is shot and he has no intention of repairing it. I can have the tiller. My plan is to mount a motor on the tiller and some tires leftover from an ATV. Like you, I plan to use it every year on the existing plot and for small expansions.

Money aside, there is something satisfying in doing it yourself, even if it is more actual work.

Ambush - wow. Sounds like you've been doing it yourself quite well. Never would have expected thought about the discs riding up on sticks. I just had my property logged and this field put in. Not too many roots but small flat rocks are pretty common. Hoping the tiller will work around them. I don't need them out but I do want to be able to till up the top couple of inches to get things going.

Ambush's embedded Photo

A couple of pics.

Date:14-Oct-16

That's pretty gnarly - truck frame and railroad spikes! I've heard that the discs tend to rid up on top of the soil and need weight to get it to break up the soil and that something like the railroad spikes would be more apt to tear into the ground and help break it up.

I'm using old grader blade cutting edge for weight Add or subtract according to conditions. Old batteries work well to. I'll try to find a pic if the comb attachment.

I have used this for 5yrs , It takes some care, yet I only plow(disc) 3/4-1 acre . Its all I can do with what I have, 36" double disc , with agg tires on the rear . I will get a new tractor in Feb 2017 , before I blow the trans in the mower.

Date:15-Oct-16

r-man's embedded Photo

Date:17-Oct-16

WoW! You don't even mow - you just till it? That looks like some pretty big stuff (corn, wheat, brassica?)

just a mix left over seed I used for green manure . Its all beans now .

r-man, Love your enthusiasm....

Mark

yea its pushing the limits of any mower , but I do what I got to do . And its not even a garden tractor.

By: Mr.C
Date:18-Oct-16

same set up been till n for years i have a hydro trans on my mower, looks like R man does as well and its lasted a long time yeah just gotta remember to go easy! its not a JD with PTO tiller...I mounted a swivel beer holder on my hood...5 gallons of gas and a 4 pack and im done hahahha MikeC

Rather than own and trailer a tractor and implements to the farm we hire a tractor guy, found someone on Craigslist that works for 40.00 an hr and lives minutes from the farm. He brush hogs and tills what ever we need. Much faster than we can do it with limited time.

By: XMan

x2 on great white. search around for someone to do the tilling for you. Or rent a small tractor and disc for a weekend, fairly cheap and you don't need to have the money investing in an attachment that doesn't work well.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.