Tpb 09-Oct-16
Purdue 09-Oct-16
r-man 09-Oct-16
Tpb 13-Oct-16
r-man 13-Oct-16
writer 14-Oct-16

By: Tpb
Date:09-Oct-16

I'm in northern ct and was thinking of buying an American persimmon or two. Does anyone have suggestions on varieties that would do well and is it worth planting them for a little variety? I've recently planted some apples, pears, and a Whitney crab apple, no fruit yet but maybe in a couple years. Thanks for the input.

I live in the snow belt of western NY (near Buffalo). I just planted three persimmon trees earlier this year that were rated for a 5A or 5B habitat....I'll let you know if they survive the winter!!

By: r-man

Connecticut is fine for them , the deer around me for some reason did not recognize the odd fruit from two Japenese types . Yet the native types got eating up over night. Ones started from seed my be male, grafted trees should be female, . Try Musser forest inc. out of PA , you can get bulk for a couple dollars. 724-465-5685

Thanks I'll check them out.

By: Purdue

Best to have a tree of both sex to insure pollination/ fruit.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-sex-persimmon-tree-61597.html

A note , they like bottom land, and soggy soils , near a creek, don't plant on dry hill unless you plan on watering to get established . These natives have low nutrient requirements so that's not an issue , not over feed , use very low nitrates . Sugar would be better.

Date:13-Oct-16

Well I bought 2 Gordon persimmons, I'll report back in a few years if they throw any fruit. I guess I'm just trying to establish I buffett for them...

Date:13-Oct-16

then get some pears , deer candy

By: writer
Date:14-Oct-16

Most of ours are on hilltops, or ridgelines near open fields in eastern Kansas. Deer danged sure love 'em.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.