KT3 27-Sep-16
Rayzor 02-Oct-16
Shawn 02-Oct-16
Bow Crazy 05-Oct-16
WV Mountaineer 05-Oct-16
aandw 05-Oct-16

By: aandw
Date:24-Sep-16

I run 8 cameras on corn feeders during season on 500 acres. Of the 500 95 is crop rotation and the remainder in mixed woods of all ages. Different levels of available in 70ish percent. I normally have about 20 different bucks total, all ages. It's hard to tell how many does but going by groups and singles, I would guess about 40. When hunting we see a few mores does than bucks but never outrageous. My question is how accurate is a camera survey plus what is seen hunting? The farmer seems to think I need to kill at least 30 does and figures our ratio at 12- 15 to 1. I think he is full of poop.

By: Junior

I think the only way to accurately tell how many deer you have. Is to scout the beans a couple times during the summer. Also you never know how many deer trade back and forth to neighboring property's. I would guess the farmer scouts his crops and may know more than you think. Obviously he could be bias! I mean they are eating his profits.

By: r-man

10 doe and 3 buck sounds like a good number for a minimum

By: APauls
Date:25-Sep-16

So some reading on buck to doe ratios. 12-15:1 is practically Impossible.

I don't know how to answer your question , but if you want to keep hunting the farmers land ,I would shoot more does. on most hunts I don't think you will see 1 3rd of the deer on the property . Forrest

I agree that a 12-1 ratio is impossible for our farm. The farmer leases the land from my family. But we do want to work with him on it. The last 3 years we have avg about 17 per year with close to a 2-1 kill ratio.

By: KT3
Date:27-Sep-16

Keep in mind when you are counting fawns that somewhere around 50% of those are bucks.

By: Rayzor
Date:02-Oct-16

Crazy. I seriously doubt its 12-15:1 but in my opinion it also takes some good managment for 2:1. Especially if your are in a state where you can take multiple bucks. I know farmers pay way more than hunters to lease ground but bottom line is its your land. I'd shoot as many does as bucks to keep it where its at. To make a n adjustment. Maybe require people to a doe before they shoot a buck if your are going to allow more than one buck shoot two before a second buck? Something like that. Just an opinion.

By: Shawn
Date:02-Oct-16

I hunt a bow only area and I believe we are about 7 or 8 to 1. As has been said if the farmer wants you to shoot more does do it. It can only help. Shawn

Date:05-Oct-16
Bow Crazy's Supporting Link

QDMA is here to help! Here is a link to: How to Run A Trail Camera Survey and 5 Tips on how to do it even better. It's not a perfect method, but certainly as good as it gets. BC

Buck doe ratios fix relatively quick if you kill does. If it were say 10:1, you'd know it. I'd say from what you got, you are in the 3 to 4:1. you aren't going to get all the deer and, certainly all the mature deer, in front of those cameras. God Bless

Thanks for the replies. The last 4 years we have killed better than 2-1 does to bucks. And avg about 17 total. I believe at worst it is at 5-1

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.