Messages posted to thread:
jrhurn 08-Aug-16
TMA1010 08-Aug-16
jrhurn 09-Aug-16
r-man 09-Aug-16
Michael Schwister 10-Aug-16

By: jrhurn
Date:08-Aug-16

I run about 5 acres of flood plots, one is in a clover mix, one is in beans, and the last is in brassica and rudibaga mix.

I rented a drill last year to put the beans in and it didn't work out well. Looking at getting a corn planter for the beans, but then saw Pat's video on the woods seeder.

Should I get the corn planter and just continue to broadcast everything else, or should I get the woods implement and can I plant beans with it.

Also, I have about 5 acres of pasture for grazing.

Your help is appreciated, besides it is always fun to spend someone else's money.

James

Date:08-Aug-16

I plant beans every year with both a little drill (I'll close off the outside rows so I can still drive over the field to spray without running over beans) and also with a 2-row planter. I don't know if the deer prefer one way over the other, but I think that the beans I do with the planter end up looking better most years.

It would be nice to have the drill for the other foodplots though. I'd only say you should get a planter if you're going to consider doing corn ever. I do a lot of 8-10 row strips of corn for screens, but if I didn't do that I could certainly still get everything accomplished with just the drill (woods seeder).

By: jrhurn
Date:09-Aug-16

Thanks Pat. That is the info I needed and was leaning that way anyway. While it is only 5 acres, I'm 6 hrs away, so when I get there to plant I need to do it right the first time.

While the woods PS is super sexy and I may end up with one for my clover and legume plots, my first purchase will be a corn planter with some bean plates. Then I may look at the small 4 or 5 ft woods for my pasture and other plots.

For now I will continue to broadcast and roll the other plots.

Thanks again.

James

By: r-man
Date:09-Aug-16

Corn needs to be in a neat and orderly row to get best results , I'm sure u can find or rent one from someone near you. as for beans and most else broad casting works fine.

Date:10-Aug-16

If it were me I would get one of the John Deere 7000/7100 variants with no till colters and dry fertilizer box. The model 71s work great in perfectly tilled soil, but the 7000 "max emerge" was a MAJOR upgrade when they came out in the 1970s. There are a lot of folks taking old 7000s and cutting them down into 2 row/ 3pt hitch variations and doing a remanufacture for $2-3k. They have a finger pickup instead of plates, so need a seed cup when going beans etc. That way you can spray, come back in two weeks (or even that day) and do all tasks in one pass (to include banding ALL your dry fertilizer in a 2x2) with the opening/closing system still used on new planters today.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.