CAS_HNTR 21-Jul-16
WV Mountaineer 21-Jul-16
HerdManager 22-Jul-16
BUCKeye 22-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jul-16
lewis 23-Jul-16
Fuzzy 25-Jul-16

Date:20-Jul-16

Not sure how many are involved in the QDMA Forum or the organization in general, but they have decided to disable their forum (as it is not padding their pockets enough). They will stop accepting new members and new posts shortly and then DELETE it altogether.....including all of the thread histories and information. They said it will be gone totally....no searching, no posting, like it never existed.

If you have never been on their forum, lets just say its THE MOST educational whitetail deer habitat resource out there (no offense Pat) and it will be a travesty to lose all the info as a year on their is like 20 years of real world experience. Anyways, it sounds like the decision is already made within QDMA and their is no reversing it.

So.....Pat.....lets make DeerBuilder the best....look at buying the forum or history or something! Its sad it will be gone, but its depressing that the info will be gone too! Just a thought/plea!

And if you are a member of QMDA....you may want to reconsider, I know I am now.

So why do you think they are ending their forums???

The general consensus is that free info from posters made it hard to get sponsors and thus it was not financially worth it......they said they did some "analysis" and it makes "business" sense to end it.

I imagine it makes BOB seed companies mad when posters specifically tell you how to avoid buying their overprices stuff......same goes for growing trees vs buying trees, etc.

Personally, I think they are "too old and cumbersome" to know how to make it run for a profit. No reason they couldn't get companies to support them when tons of people are buying from the same or similar seed, tree, etc sources. Plus, for a whitetail management forum they had ZERO hunting sponsors that I could tell beyond seed/mineral stuff. How is that....no bows, stands, saws, binos, etc.....illogical as everyone there has/uses them. Plus.....why not scrap the magazine? Dumb!!

Follow the $$....the main point of the forum closing.

Agree with Pat. QDMA forum was a great resource. If you are a whitetail hunter and a foodplotter, you should be a member. Opportunity is knocking FOG..

Been a QDMA member and active local volunteer for years. I have not been on the forum much the last few months though (been a busy spring)It would certainly be a shame to see it go!!!

I was unaware that there was such a forum. Being primarily a whitetail hunter, I would've found it useful. Can one still read some of the conversations/threads?

Yeah....you can read them for a bit longer (warning....it may be overwhelming), not sure exact date of final termination

Unaware of QDMA til now. Looks impressive. Too bad.

There has never been so much info about wildlife habitat building found in one place as the current QDMA forum. Some name droppers led me to this place and I will likely start visiting on a regular basis! I see some familiar "names" already.

Chris

To be clear, people aren't really that upset that the forum is no more but SUPER upset that QDMA is "taking their ball and going home" by deleting EVERYTHING that was ever posted! No searching for info, no read only text, nothing....all gone.

Threads there are different than on Bowsite (which spike and fall quick)......some users have threads that read like novels and document success and failure real time over year and years....we are talking thousands of posts and pictures and how-to type stuff for habitat/food plots/life! The information in their threads is better than all of the printed magazines, books, etc combined.......QDMA will ne deleting it all for good......that's why people are PO'd.

"Ensuring the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat & our hunting heritage"......their moto..... deleting the best source of info available doesn't seem to fit!! Bravo QDMA!

End Rant.

QDMA almost definitely does NOT own the servers this info is on, they rent it, if so, then deleting it is the only option if QDMA has decided to financially it doesn't want the forums.

So, if someone was paying you to post lots of information on your resource, then stopped paying, you'd leave those resources available rather than try to repurpose them to another paying client?

It's probably QDMA's data, but they need a place for it to live, web servers to allow access, etc, that costs money.

Then why not sell the old forum data.......they have people that want to buy it but they will destroy it instead as their end game is eliminating free info and using their "expert info" and paid articles to increase profit.

It's not about paying for the forum at all.....its about destroying the evidence that there was once a place where the average joe could learn and in most cases be equal or better than the touted "experts"

By: JRW

They are/were excellent forums full of great information. As far as the organization itself, I have absolutely no interest in being a member.

By: XMan

agree with you CAS, I always learned something on those message boards, such a shame to see it close down. I can't believe they couldn't make it work financially, so many business out there to sell ad space to and promote products. Bad businessmen for sure....

Pat, I sent you a private message.

I'm a member, but seldom visited the forums. I usually just searched out specific articles about whatever I was interested in, but I'm still unhappy that the forums will be gone.

I will now refer anyone who asks to Deerbuilder as an educational source for food plots.

Edit: I will NOT be giving up my QDMA membership though. The forums did not make me join, nor will they make me quit. I still believe in the mission of QDMA.

I agree with the last 2 paragraphs.....the first one and the "reasons" are a joke in my opinion.

Thanks for trying:)

By: Purdue

"This has nothing to do with money......"

This doesn't pass the smell test.

By: Zbone

"mission of QDMA"

Would never get in bed with them, of course there is good there but their mentality of grabbing up as much land as possible to manage and displacement of other hunters is bad for the future of hunting and direction towards European style hunting for only the wealthy...

Whitetails and whitetail hunting, hopefully should NEVER evolve to those ways...

Zbone, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but the mission as I see it has been to educate deer hunters about the management of whitetail deer to improve the hunting experience. I personally don't see anything wrong with encouraging the passing of young deer and taking them at a later date.

tons of info on that site !!!!!

ZBone times 2. FWIW, it wasn't the message that needs to be blamed. It was human nature. God Bless

Yeah, kind of like timber companies owning tens of thousands of acres and leasing them out and closing it off to the general public. It's going to end hunting. LOL

I long for the days where you could trespass anywhere you wanted and shoot everything you could. SMH

" There does not appear to be any opportunity to salvage those valuable archives."

That right there says QDMA doesn't really give a damn about helping hunters/managers. If you are truly passionate about your cause. You don't let a wealth of information like that just go to dust. One way or another, this is about money.

Date:21-Jul-16

My opinion as someone who pushes qdma and is involved with local chapters is this would be a bad decision.

As a sponsor on here, I throw my OPINION on here but it's great to see others ideas and all the sharing of information.

The wildlife industry is a copy cat world. Technology is changing how businesses handle their sponsorships. I sponsor 3 hunting shows and after this year i'll need to be reevaluating that as well. There is only so much money to go around and sponsorships need to give one return on their investment.

Bowsite is a wonderful site and i believe we all need to tell more people about this wonderful resource. There is too much missinformation in the industry and it's become a product selling industry vs products that have science behind them.

Let's spread the word on facebook and social media and drive more traffic here as people need education and help.

I still cant believe that an organization that is supposed to be about education and the greater good of whitetail habitat plans to delete the most beneficial thing to the average member or whitetail enthusiast. Especially when they have ways to save all the information and it wouldn't cost them a dime..........it reeks of ulterior motives.

I know they have lost hundreds and hundreds of memberships from this already (in 2 days), likely to be thousands by the time the smoke clears.

"This has nothing to do with money, sponsors, or technology"

What does it have to do with??

It's definitely about money.

The QDMA forum participants were many and very active. I hope they find this site and continue to share all that valuable information

By: TD

Forums in general are.... problematic for advertisers. They have little control over content, in a good forum anyway. A couple people come on and bash your product or service and your advertising investment is shot to heck.... or worse.

That is not an issue with print advertising.... and for me one reason I don't subscribe, buy or read print media much anymore. I primarily use these things to gather information, not entertainment. You will never read a "bad" review about any product advertised in that magazine. Just not going to happen. If you can sift through the various forums for knowledgeable people you can get a great deal of honest and valuable information.

Advertising in forums takes confidence and faith in your product, self control and a pair of asbestos skivvies.... nobody likes their babies being called ugly.... =D

By: Jodie

One can learn plenty about QDM right here on this forum. QDM practices are largely common sense, something anyone who hunts should possess.

By: Bake

Jodie. . . the QDMA forum wasn't really about QDMA, so much as information about habitat improvement. . .

Literally thousands and thousands of pages of information from non-industry regular joes who were sharing their experiences from all over the country.

Just like Bowsite is bow centered, the forum over there was habitat centered.

You could do a search and get a several hundred post thread from a guy over a year on how he was growing Dunstan chestnuts from nuts. . . From his grow lights, and everything else. Information in substantial detail that you just don't dig up somewhere else.

That's just one example out of many. There were habitat threads over 5 or 6 years detailing brush cuttings, bush plantings, food plots, etc. Some of that stuff was hugely voluminous, and very detailed over long periods of time.

There was once a huge thread over changing the sex existing persimmon trees to make useless non-fruiting males into fruiting females. . . Sounds disgusting, but was actually pretty damn fascinating

Grafting of fruit trees, different brush plantings, food plots, native grasses. . . tons of information on each.

It's a damn shame really. A LOT of good information will be lost for those interested in such things

A couple comments i'd take offense to. QDMA is one of the few companies that go out of their way to educate people. They give a damn. This site is also one of the very few who educate.

One of our own contributors on here is also a qdma director and i spoke to him briefly today as well. I believe there is more need for education any way, anyhow, anywhere.

"A couple comments i'd take offense to. QDMA is one of the few companies that go out of their way to educate people. They give a damn."

I used to think so. But this move just reeks of greed. There is sooo much info on those forums that will be lost. Good, practical info put out there to help the common landowner.

Great post Pat.

But the content is all lost. ......its like burning books.....just not right at all, especially when there are ways to save it.

Inexcusable. Period.

Gobbler wrote:

"Yeah, kind of like timber companies owning tens of thousands of acres and leasing them out and closing it off to the general public. It's going to end hunting. LOL

I long for the days where you could trespass anywhere you wanted and shoot everything you could. SMH".

This quote is proof your reading comprehension is still lacking. And, your desire for the last word and, seeing things your way versus the way they were stated, is stronger than you actually getting it right.

Date:22-Jul-16

Could they just leave them in place as an archive people could access but eliminate further contributions?

There is more valuable habitat info on that forum than all others I have seen by far. A complete shame to delete it and tremendous loss of the best archive resource of habitat info anywhere.

"There was once a huge thread over changing the sex existing persimmon trees to make useless non-fruiting males into fruiting females. . . Sounds disgusting, but was actually pretty damn fascinating"

First it was San Fran, then the Military, then Disney kid's cartoon characters, and now even the persimmon trees.

LGBTQP...jeez, this acronym is getting long.

By: lewis
Date:23-Jul-16

Damn Pat great post wish you would have spoke the other nite instead of Cruz qdma has done a great job thru the years Lewis

By: Fuzzy
Date:25-Jul-16

wait, you can sex-change persimmon trees?! Wow!~

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.