HANS1 23-May-16
JSW 23-May-16
tk 24-May-16
sagittarius 24-May-16
dm/wolfskin 24-May-16
glacier 24-May-16

By: tk
Date:23-May-16

I need some technical help with my sprayer. I currently have a 300 gal (I think may be 500) tank that has a boom less sprayer head. I want to switch it to a boom instead, to help control the drift. I am planning on it being 17' overall, that includes two 5' booms on each side that will fold up. I am planning on putting a valve on each boom so they can be shut up when folded up and only spray with the middle section if needed. From what I have read I thought the sprayer nozzles needed to average about 20" spacing from each other, which would mean I would need 10 sprayer nozzles. I went to my local Campbell Supply today and the guy set me up with Teejet 11002sv nozzles and told me I only needed five not ten, and I would only need to have my nozzles 20" off the ground. Well I laid this out on my floor tonight and with only 5 nozzles, the spacing is about 53" apart. Does this sound right? This is all new to me, so maybe it is correct, but it just didn't seem right. Any suggestions?

By: HANS1

That doesn't sound quite right I will measure my sprayer in the am but I would think you would get much better coverage with the nozzles around 24-30 inches apart. A lot will depend on the pressure and the height . Is it 3 point or pull type.

By: JSW

I built a boom for the sprayer on my ATV and the nozzles are 40" apart and 20" off the ground. With the booms down, it's 120" wide and covers 160" or 13' 4". The nozzles you buy will tell you how far apart, how much pressure and at what speed. If it's a 3 point model they make a valve that mounts on the front of the rig so you can reach it from your seat and turn off one or both sides. It takes more hose but is real handy. I think I use the red nozzles which give me 10 gallons per acre at 6 MPH and 30 PSI. PM me if you want more info.

By: tk
Date:24-May-16

Thanks for the info, the sprayer is a pull behind. I looked up the head on Google and it says it has a 110 degree spray and one website said to mount 20" apart. Personally I would rather have them closer together, it would be better to get some overlap instead of too far apart and get poor coverage.

110 degree nozzles typically are spaced at 20" and should run 20" above plant being sprayed. This provides adequate over lap and coverage designed into the nozzle. The pressure range (02) indicates volume spray at opperating pressure. This also indicates what speed you can travel to still get adequate coverage. 11002 are the nozzles that came with my 5 nozzle boom sprayer with a 2.1gpm electric pump. ATV boom sprayers typically have 80 degree spray nozzles to operate at a greater height, and a bit faster speed.

I use 11003 DG teejets for work at 30 psi which puts out 20 gals/ ac. Nozzles are 20 inches apart. Just spray water to see on the ground of your coverage.

Talk to one of your ag dealers. The nozzle spacing depends on the angle of the spray and the height you will be above the canopy. Most nozzles are designed for a specified overlap, but I hate to generalize since there are so many variables and different companies that make nozzles. keep in mind that the boom height is the height above the canopy that you are spraying, not necessarily the height off the ground.

Also, tell them what chemicals you will be spraying, as they can set you up with a coarser spray pattern for less drift, but if you are spraying something that requires more coverage (like a contact herbicide) then they may need to set you up with a finer droplet size...

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.