BOHUNTER09 23-May-16
Whip 24-May-16
greenmountain 24-May-16
r-man 24-May-16
MK111 24-May-16
Thornton 24-May-16

By: MK111
Date:23-May-16

May 2015 I bought a real nice MK 271 65 HP diesel tractor with frontend loader made in 2000.

It ran great when I bought it and when used around the buildings. Put a bush hog or roto tiller on it and under load it would only run 600 ft and shut off.

Changed all the filters, checked out the fuel pump and injector pump and new fuel shotoff switch with no help.

Went on the MF forum and a guy from NZ said maybe the fuel cap wasn't venting and causing a vapor lock. Took the last lock station loose on the fuel cap and I'll be darn it ran OK.

Well until last week when bush hogging my food plots. I got 2 ac done and it just shut off again. Wait 5 minutes and run 600 ft or so. Took 5 restarts to get back to the barn in about 1000 ft.

Today I took the fuel line off at the fuel pump and not a drop of fuel came out. Put a puff of air with a air line and got full flow. I drained the tank and going to take it to a radiator shop to steam clean it out. The shutoff valve filter was plugged up and must have lots of dirt in the tank.

Hopefully this will be a fix. The last 12 months have been a total nigthmare with it. I want to sell my Ford 420 industrial tractor and darn glad I didn't yet.

Fuel problems can be real head scratchers sometimes. Once, in my no-skills ignorant youth, I was running a scraper for a living. For those of you who don't know, it's a self propelled hemmoroid making, gut wrenching, back busting earth moving machine. It had the same problem, sorta. You could fuel it up and it would run all day. The next day, when the tank was about a third full, it would smother out and die. The mechanic about pulled his hair out before he pulled the tank off. The trouble turned out to be an ordinary red shop rag that was sucking down to the fuel line once the tank got low.

Maybe you will be ok now !

By: jdee

I have a few tractors but every time I start up my 2004 Kubota and listen to it purr I wonder if they ever made a better utility tractor. I wish every thing I owned was as reliable as my Big Orange Tractor!!

I had an 880 oliver gas tractor which did the same thing. When I took the tank off and cleaned it, it had honey locust needles in it. You just never know what may have been put in there.

By: Whip
Date:24-May-16

I had a similar problem on my Kubota last year. Fuel was not gravity flowing fast enough into the separation bowl. I figured there had to be a blockage somewhere. I put a bucket underneath and had cheesecloth over the bucket to strain anything that might come out. Took the incoming line off the bowl and it just dribbled out at first. All of a sudden a big surge of fuel came pouring out. The cheesecloth had caught the body of a ladybug that was all black. The darn thing had gotten into the tank and found its way into the fuel line, plugging it up. I put the line back on the bowl and haven't had a problem since.

Strange stuff can find its way into the oddest places.

It is not just fuel systems that have issues. Some years ago I was assigned the job of installing a turbocharger on a Mack truck. I started it up to take it in the shop but the roar told me I should have checked first. Another mechanic had removed the original. I installed the new turbo but the truck didn't sound right. We traced it down to a misfire on cylinder 1. I shut it down but my boss said the misfire was cylinder three. We shut it down and checked again and it was cylinder four. I pulled the turbo and intake manifold and found the shop rag that the other mechanic had put over the manifold after removing the turbo.

By: r-man

Don't where you get your fuel , but ran in to same problems before , Its best to pump diesel in to plastic cans and inspect the source , also many tractors have more then one filter, they can have a water separator as well, . I would drain the tank and inspect.

By: MK111

Problem started with a full tank from the dealer. I drained all that out last fall and used it in my Ford 420 diesel with no problem. All new fuel the same as I use in my Ford tractor.

The dirt on the in tank filter looks like a heavy film. The dealer my have bought the tractor at a farm auction so it may have set idle for some time.

Taking the tank down to a radiator shop for a flush.

Had that problem with my old Farmall. Drained the tank and it runs like it's new. Just used it to pull out the big flatbed truck delivering lumber for our new barn because the dimwit driver drove into the mud.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.