drycreek 10-May-16
drycreek 10-May-16
drycreek 11-May-16
drycreek 11-May-16
MK111 11-May-16
Michael Schwister 12-May-16

By: Tpb
Date:10-May-16

I'm doing a 1/2 acre plot this year. I've got a disk to turn it all over but I'm wondering what people's experience with a cultipacker is? I'd get one but they're a bit pricey. Any good alternatives? Thanks.

What are you planning on planting in the plot?

Mark

Tpb

I use a cultipacker extensively with small seeds but also when I broadcast soybeans or corn in small/wet areas where I can't get my full size planter into. Probably one of the most important pieces of food plot equipment to me.

I just went to local boneyard to pick up parts to build one in the following link. Wanted a second one for a second property because the old ones are heavy and a pain to transport. There are plenty of other plans to look at if you google homemade cultipacker. I just like this particular one.

Good Luck

Deerhaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hGE3Z_vJBU

By: Tpb

Thanks a lot. I was going to try to get a perennial clover established. Then a fall blend (still undecided) in another small plot.

drycreek's embedded Photo

Here is my cultipacker stand in. I'm on the lookout for a real one, but this has done a good job for 5/6 years now.

I have a 10' it is a 16" Diameter 1/4" wall steel pipe. it is just one that you pull behind the tractor.

I also have a 4' culitpacker which is 16" plastic corrugated culvert filled with concrete. it works really really good a breaking up clods.

its probably my favorite tool for prepping and planting food plots.

For plots such as clover, alfalfa or any of the brassicas...good seed to soil contact is key.

Typical site preparation is disc (or till), cultipack, broadcast seed and cultipack again.

I've got two and find I have much better results with the steel one with the small (1") ridges running around the cylinder.

If you don't have a cultipacker you can simply run over the disced plot with your 4 wheeler, broadcast and then run over it one more time....again, you want good seed to soil contact.

Good luck!

Mark

We have one just likes Pats but its rusty and only cost $100!!

Works perfect and will get painted in a month so its pretty!

CAS_HNTR's embedded Photo

Here's she is heading for battle last spring!!

Pat, do the rings offset on your rig ? From the pic angle I can't tell.

By: Teeton

I don't have a cultipacker.. If you have a disk. right before planting I disk very light. Just to loosen the dirt. Spread seed and then drive over it with my truck. 1/2 acre will only take 15 mins or so. You can clearly see your tire tracks where you drove over the dirt.

Ed

I purchased an 8' Kasco one about 10 years ago and it is one of my most valuable pieces of equipment.

Just about anything that will press the soil will work A front lip is essential to ride over dirt. One of the nicest I seen is an old fuel tank laying on its side. It has brackets that can be attached to

Teeton, that's how I do my plots also. It works really well for pea size seeds and up, but in order to plant clover, I have to add the extra step to drag it smooth before planting, then drag it again after I plant the clover. It has always worked when the soil was at optimum moisture, but I could really use a cultipacker to break up the clods when it's too dry.

Some iron clay pea plots I planted Saturday with a disc, cyclone seeder, and my tire drag.

Another plot. Here I'm in the process of lightly discing to dry the top out enough to cover my seeds with a drag.

Date:11-May-16

I found this eight footer pretty close to home, close enough for me to go pick it up. Thinking pretty hard on it since it's a three point hitch model which will lend itself to moving on my trailer along with my tractor with disc attatched. That's important to me because I food plot on multiple places and they are fairly far apart from each other. Anyone have any experience with a three point hitch model ? It weighs about a thousand pounds. I'd love to have y'all's input.

Picture didn't post :(

By: MK111

Nice looking piece. 3 pt will be handy. I picked up a 8' double roller cultipacker tonight off Craigslist. Be delivered tomorrow. I've been using a 6' basket type cultipacker for the last 3 seasons. Rare item Anyone in SW Ohio need one?

Date:12-May-16

Get your self a quick hitch like a Pat's or the mounted one they sell at TSC. Makes changing implements a breeze

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.