nutritionist 28-Apr-16
WIbowhunter365 02-May-16
South Farm 02-May-16
Hunt98 10-May-16
r-man 10-May-16
Genesis 10-May-16

By: Hunt98
Date:25-Apr-16

I have a food plot that is in a low area. I need the dirt to build a base for a hay bale blind. As long as I was moving dirt I thought I would put in a small water hole.

Would it be better to put the water hole in the woods or in the food plot?

In cover. Animals will be more comfortable visiting it during the day

Agree, in the woods.

By: njbuck

Woods for sure.

By: writer

Pretty important to consider where it might get enough drainage to keep it full.

Date:26-Apr-16

The area is pretty low and flat for a ways with a swamp 100 yards away. I'm hoping that the water will leach up from the bottom and keep it filled.

A water hole in the woods will keep water longer due to not as much evaporation. The downside is that it will look nasty most of the time from leaves decaying in it, but I doubt that will bother the animals that drink from it.

By: RD

I built one in the woods, small but very effective, just make sure there's always water in it.

Date:27-Apr-16

I've built three....two out in food plots and one in the woods. The one in the woods gets hit 5:1 to those out in the food.

Staging areas are perfect for a quick drink!

Mark

Date:27-Apr-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo

Yep, in the woods! Friend hired a guy with a bobcat for one day and he built 5! Deer Magnets!!

Date:28-Apr-16

I will place my 2 new water holes not very far inside the woods, closer to the food plot edges. I will have staging plots running from the water to the main plots.

If people want to keep the green down in the water holes or homeade water troughs, add hydrogen peroxide to it to a 10ppm level. There is other health benefits to the deer when you do that.....helps worm them.

Date:02-May-16

Would anyone know if using a roofing rubber for a pond liner if there's any problem with wildlife drinking out of it. I heard that you don't want to use it if your putting fish in it. Because of the way its treated wont let algae grow. Thanks

Date:02-May-16

FYI, any water is better than none...last year I simply dug in an 11 gallon Rubbermaid tub, filled it up, and the deer use it like crazy even though there's a much larger waterhole nearby. Only difference is that one is out in the middle of a bean-field at the end of a narrow shelter-belt.

Date:10-May-16

I dug a test hole about 18" deep. I came back 10 minutes later and there was about 4" of water in it.

How wide and deep of a hole would be adequate for a water hole?

By: r-man

woods . deep as you feel needed ,

Have your NRCS office take core samples (free) to determine the amount of clay etc in your soil before digging

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.