Ziek 05-Apr-16
Boone 05-Apr-16
AwHunt73 05-Apr-16
gobbler 05-Apr-16
HerdManager 06-Apr-16
Rock 06-Apr-16
Catscratch 06-Apr-16

Date:03-Apr-16

Just curious what the farthest distance apart you found a set of sheds? And for that matter how long it took to locate the second half. I'm no master shed hunter but did very well for myself this spring and located 32. 3 sets. Farthest distance between a set was right at 1/2 mile. Took 3 days to find the 2nd half and it was my 3rd trip through the same area. Still no idea how I missed it every time.

Date:04-Apr-16

Have never found a matching set yet

I once found a set about 3 feet apart and only 30 feet off of a road! Did I mention that I ONCE found a set! LOL

>>>>-------->

Found a few not sure but with rare exception of very close most times 1/4-1/3 mile

By: Tman

This spring I found 1 side of a nice 5x5 with bladed brows that I had been watching. This was on a Monday evening. I saw the deer carrying the other side 2 days later in the same field. I found the 2nd antler on Friday evening about 15 feet from where the 1st was. That deer carried the 2nd side for 5 days yet dropped it within spitting distance of where the other side dropped. Thought that was pretty neat. As far as the furthest distance, maybe half a mile between sheds

By: Fields

I found one side in the spring of one year and in the winter of the next year, about 3/4 miles away I found the other side. Big wide 6 pointer.. smallest set I ever found was a puny little three pointer. Both sheds were laying on top of each other... making an X.... I love shed hunting... wish I was in better area to find them ....

By: t-roy

t-roy's embedded Photo

I found a set from a big 8 pointer(150'') that were laying one inside of the other like Fields described as well. I no longer have that set though. My buddy shot him with his bow the next year & I gave them to him for Christmas! He was almost identical to his sheds from the year before. I've found a couple of matched sets, one side one year & the other side the next year, but can't says as I've ever found any matched sets that were quite a distance apart though.

By: t-roy

t-roy's embedded Photo

Same deer

Date:05-Apr-16

I killed a 185" in 2013! the spring of 2014 I found his one side and the spring of 2015 I found his other side not 50yrds from the other side. Sheds from when he was alive in 2012 and they weren't chewed!! never seen it happen before and scoring them he grew right at 50" in one year!! The deer lived on mineral all summer that a friend of mine makes!!

I have found a few matching sets of mule deer sheds, all were within minutes of each other, and from 0 to 20 yards apart. They are also small antlers, the large ones I find are singles.

By: Ziek

Most pairs I find are pretty close together. Occasionally, I find a set as much as a few hundred yards apart. I match them based on location, (if I find the match where I think it will be, that's a good indication), general configuration, size, apparent time they've been laying there, and most important the size and shape of where they were attached. On elk, at least, that is usually unique and a very similar mirror image in a pair.

By: Boone

I found one set 2 miles apart and took 4 weeks. My best year, I found 82 sheds with 14 sets. This spring I found the matching side of one that I found last year and it was in the same bed as the first one.

AwHunt73's embedded Photo

The first set I ever found were easily 3/4 mile apart and on different sides of the drainage and a year apart.

I've found them side by side and the longest distance was about 100 yds apart.

Date:06-Apr-16

Only matching set I ever found was almost touching. There had been a wet snow the day before, so I'm thinking when the deer shook the snow off both popped off right there. 142" 10-point with bladed brows and stickers.

By: Rock

Most I find are only a few inches or feet apart, but have found them further apart a few times out to around 1/4 mile apart before.

I found a matching set 2yrs apart and no less than 3/4mile from each other.

Found several other matched sets that were within 100m from each other and on the same trail.

Rarely I find a matched set at what appears to be a bed.

Never found a matched set in a feed field or food plot.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.