snellpastor 23-Mar-16
WV Mountaineer 23-Mar-16
bdfrd24v 24-Mar-16
Kevin Dill 25-Mar-16
bdfrd24v 25-Mar-16
Shiras 25-Mar-16
Jethro 25-Mar-16

Date:22-Mar-16

So I just pulled the last of my remaining cams down today. I was pleasantly surprised with the number of deer on cams. Both day and night, lots of activity.

My concern is I can say the exact same thing for predators. I have coytoes and foxes both day and night and LOTS of them. I was shocked at the numbers I was getting. We had a poor year trapping. Had a number working sets, but just not getting them. Only took 3 fox and 1 coyote. I'm thinking I may need to get some people in to help my hunt these coyotes soon as I worry about the upcoming fawn season.

I know we can't get rid of them all, but I feel like we aren't keeping anything in check either. Anyone else seeing large amounts of predators this year?

By: Tndeer

No foxes. Lots of coyotes. Killed two hunting and snared three more. Still have time to do some damage.

By: LINK

LINK's embedded Photo

I would help but Pennsylvannia is a little to far to go for coyotes. They eat corn at my feeders and mice and bunnies but seldom get fawns where I live. I don't feed deer during the spring though. Here's my brothers an my day from a contest this winter. We each missed one but managed to win.

I'm surprised my home state hasn't protected fox at all. I hardly see any, coyotes are doing a number on them.

drycreek's embedded Photo

Im going Friday and Saturday, but like LINK said, Pennsylvania is a little far. Got one last Saturday morning even though the wind was howling. Tough calling !

I haven't trapped in a long time. But, I have friens that are stil very active. They all say SNARES. It'll catch them when nothing else will. Only sets I've seen picture proof of catching more than one at a time. Set'em close and heavy enough to cover travel routes. Good luck and God Bless

Date:23-Mar-16

bdfrd24v's embedded Photo

One cam had 118 pics with game on it. 34 were coyotes or fox.

I have another one that was watching a trap set and I had them urinating all over the thing just not getting hit.

HEALTHY looking coyotes too.

By: MK111

Not by any means a expert in predator control but from what I've read in the past is. Coyotes are territorial and if one is taken out of a area in a short time a new coyote will fill in the vacancy. So if you take out say 10 coyotes out of your hunting area and 7-8 new coyotes move in to fill the voids. Not much has been done except to kill off 10 coyotes but your hunting area is almost back to where it was before the start. Is this idea holding water in truths?

MK111, I have heard the same from others but I got to reason if they are moving in then they are moving out of someone else area so it's still doing some good.

spikehorn's embedded Photo

I recently pulled some camera cards too and found the same thing, more yotes than deer ... Many pictures are at night but am frequently getting more during the day.

By: MK111

GotBowA I forgot to write in my OP that it appears the new coyotes moving in to fill the voids are mostly young ones looking for their own new territory. Or so they report. Here in SW Ohio I get coyote pictures every week on cam. And a red fox picture every 3-4 weeks. We have bobcats here now but no pictures on my farm yet but it'll just a matter of time. Thank goodness no wild hogs.

By: Shiras

Pat, how did the KS coyote hunt turn out?

MK111, that's what I've always read too, but instead of hunting in the winter we try to start our coyote calling in March. The theory is, we try to kill as many as possible just before the fawns start hitting the ground. Killing pregnant females is just a bonus. Maybe there will be fewer coyotes running around when the fawns are helpless.

snellpastor's embedded Photo

Welcome to Wisconsin! Cool pic but they do a number on the deer population.

You are getting more pics because they just went through breeding season. They've been there all along. But, just like deer, they get on their feet during that time. God Bless

Date:24-Mar-16

Ran across a dead one not far from where I picked up that last cam.

Couldn't see what happened to the fox. No obvious wounds.

Anyway, clearly we have a healthy crop of predators. Have some guys coming to hunt next week. See how it goes.

Date:25-Mar-16

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo

I've got plenty of coyotes, but they don't really worry me any. More irritating is the 5:1 domestic dog to coyote pictures. I have very few neighbors but dogs roam large distances. I've got the same dogs on camera over and over again...at night...and I've never seen them during the day. I've also got foxes and one image which looks suspiciously like a bobcat.

We did have to release 2 bobcats off the property this past season.

They certainly do exist here is SW PA

This photo is off the immediate neighbor.

By: Shiras

Glad you at least got the extra lock off the case.

By: Jethro

Jethro's embedded Photo

I got this pic the first time I checked the first camera I ever owned. Northeast PA.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.