LKH 24-Mar-16
brettpsu 24-Mar-16
LBshooter 24-Mar-16
Destroyer350 24-Mar-16
Destroyer350 24-Mar-16

Date:21-Mar-16

Huntcell 's embedded Photo

Huntcell 's Supporting Link

The fuss over a coveted set of non-typical antlers belonging to a legendary Cook County buck ended when a spokesperson for the Forest Preserves of Cook County announced that the deer in question had shed its massive antlers during a procedure aimed at quelling the crowds of people who had been showing up in hopes of harvesting the

After it was announced that the deer’s antlers had come off and that the deer had been returned to the wild, the obvious question became “what happened to the set of antlers?”

Forest Preserve officials said the antlers would be given to DNR.

For its part, DNR has not confirmed that is has possession of the antlers.

Wow, nice set. I think it's time to open up the forest for bow hunters?? . Hopefully they released that deer somewhere else so this doesn't happen next year?

By: LINK

Seams to me they could have kept everyone out until the buck shed, then unleash the crowds for a few days.

Several years ago, I was driving to work and saw the largest racked deer that I'd ever seen on the hoof. It was a beautiful typical...also here in Cook County.

My hunting buddy and I knew where the buck was hanging out and we decided in the spring to meet during lunch and take a walk to see if we could come across the sheds from this buck.

There were three retired guys who would wake up early in the morning, locate the buck and shadow it all day with binoculars, every day, waiting for him to drop his rack. Apparently, people would filter in to the woods throughout the day adding to the crowd.

We just bailed out and gave up. While I thought it would be cool to come across those sheds, I can't imagine dedicating that sort of time to sheds as opposed to using them as an excuse to hike around.

I think that I've encountered some of the guys who were chasing this buck in the article. They are definitely obsessed and possessive. It seemed to my buddy and I that they were headed for some sort of wrestling match or fight the moment the antlers dropped. Reminiscent of the scene in "Grumpy Old Men".

By: Zbone

Curious the exact date they apprehended and he shed and mark the date for next year's fiasco...8^)

There was an urban Muley (I believe it was Colorado Springs) that drew a lot of the same kind of attention a few years back...

Thats nuts that people would do that and harass a deer just to get his rack. thats prolly why in some others states you have to get a license just to shed hunt. i could understand if you seen that deer and waited a day or two and walked the area where he was to find them but follow him around and glass him all day every day is crazy. i love deer hunting but their is no set of antlers worth that much to do that to a deer.

I have heard some crazy stories about teams of guys hounding elk in my home state of pennsylvania. These guys followed big bulls in shifts to keep tabs on their whereabouts.

It's an organized business in Western CO, with drones, spotters, collectors on the ground on ATVs and horseback, and the predictable intimidation. Some guys are coming over from Utah because Utah has cracked down on their business. In some places people chase the deer and elk on machines to get them to drop.

Sad.

Jaq. agreed terrible should not be allowed to do it. if anything make a time that you can start picking them up like a month after seasons over or something.

Pretty crazy what has happened to shed hunting out West. If it was as cutthroat here, I'd never go. I like to find sheds, but hounding an animal or animals for the bone in their head is maddening. Then the intimidation by "organized shed hunters", would lead me to find something else to do. Maybe fishing?

By: Tndeer

A couple of guys above noted that its a business out west. Can anyone tell me where you can sell whitetail sheds/skulls? I live in Tennessee and have a pile that I have collected over the years. Its fun to find them but I need to unload some.

By: writer

A lot of men will do dumber things for antlers than even for sex or money.

Brothers haven't spoken for years over antlers.

A very good police chief lost his job, and law enforcement carrier, because he couldn't resist the temptation of a big set of antlers.

So many divorces, bankruptcies, over an antler obsession.

People are stupid about sheds. What are they going to do with them, other then collect dust? I used to shed hunt and to a very little extent still do, but what am I going to do with the sheds? Hunting is not like it used to be, now you have to videotape, instagram, facebook, tweet everything. Just go out and reconnect with yourself, your kids, nature. Kids these days might not even be able to hunt if they were not able to connect to the matrix. Kind of sad if you ask me.

the only thing i would want to collect alot is for if im building one of the christmas trees or chandeliers for my home. other than that and if i wanted a good pair to take to the woods and rattle.

one will never lose money taking the "under" on how crazy people can be.

just sitting back and observing people is worth the price of admission regardless of how much the ticket costs.

We have shed buyers who come through town fairly regularly with big trailers. A couple I know who just collects them for recreation sold $6000 worth last year to finance a hunt.

I used to turkey hunt in the NM mountains and there was a young guy I met there that scoured the elk trails looking for sheds. I asked him why and he told me he had buyers that would pay 400 bucks for a big set of sheds and that was a few years ago. And he found quite a few !

Well thats o if they do that but harassing an animalis not cool

By: MarkU

Sat. I took the dogs out for a walk in an area where there are quite a few deer and some moose, just to get out for the afternoon. What I found was a bull moose that had been shot from the road, with only the backstraps and antlers missing. They cut off the head, but it must have been close to losing its antlers because they had been popped off from the skull.

Notified F&G where it was located.

Yeah. I don't get it. I find a nice shed to be interesting, but it's not like I've got a personal connection to it.

For me, shed hunting is an excuse to hike the woods with the kids or a buddy. The sheds are a side benefit.

However, I have to laugh. I've gone shed hunting with the kids because they've wanted to use some antlers for craft projects, key chains etc. But then the kids don't want to cut up the sheds...'cause they found them with dad. So, maybe I'll make a chandelier someday.

That's really too bad MarkU. I know it's unlikely, but I hope they catch those d-bags somehow.

I love antlers and love to shed hunt. It's great to be in the woods scouting and find a "piece" of a buck that is in your area and imagine what he's going to be like come fall. It's even better when you have some history with the animal. I also like to shed hunt in spots that are off limits to hunting, its a good excuse to get out and search different areas your normally don't frequent and see what types of bucks it holds. However, like some of you have mentioned people are really becoming more and more "antler crazy". Buying and selling, shed poaching and trespassing for antlers. I think it has a lot to do with social media (which can be said about a lot these days). The hype is huge and lots of folks are buying into it.

I find quite a few and the moose sheds are pretty cool. Other than that, the only ones that mean anything to me are the left antlers from a giant buck I killed, from the two years before I killed him. Found the sheds a year later, and neat to see how he progressed.

By: ben h
ben h's Supporting Link

I heard this story this morning on Wyoming public radio. I can't believe people would risk drowning in a freezing river to be the 1st to get some sheds. crazy.

By: Fuzzy
Date:24-Mar-16

amazing

By: LKH

LKH's embedded Photo

For those hunting the Missouri Breaks. Charles M. Russell land is closed to collecting sheds. I believe they put locaters in some to cut down on illegal collecting.

I have 4 sets of 6 pt matching sheds. The biggest has main beams of approx. 58". It was in the Breaks south of the river. Maybe the guy who stuck this broadhead in it will fess up???

I know an outfitter/rancher in unit 61 Colorado that buys new alpha glass every year or every other year from the sheds just on the ranch.

The,cash value of some of these racks is what's creating the hype. How much do you think thse antlers would fetch?

Yea you can make some pretty good money selling them. I sell all my hard white, chalk and little dink browns and keep all the big browns. When I sold some last November I got $11 per lb for deer and $13 per lb for elk. If you have anything 200+ for deer or 380+ for elk you can get $1000 + for a set.

I forgot to mention that the $11 per lb for deer and $13 per lb for elk is for browns not whites or chalk.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.