NEBucks 15-Mar-16
RutNut_@work 15-Mar-16
NEBucks 16-Mar-16
XMan 16-Mar-16
hmaxims 25-Mar-16
t-roy 25-Mar-16
wildan 27-Mar-16

Date:10-Mar-16

I bought an old Farmall 460 gasoline tractor today for the farms and food plots. The guy that sold it to me threw in a seed drill, bale spear, and disc for a total of $7400. The tractor has a rebuilt engine and TA and has no oil or hydraulic leaks. It has been well taken care of and has fairly new rear tires. I took it out today and pushed dead trees with it and was quite impressed. I was just wondering what you guys thought about the price I gave for it? Thanks for the input.

Date:10-Mar-16

Thornton's embedded Photo

Date:11-Mar-16

its better to have a tractor than to not have a tractor, good job. nothing bad to say. congrats

Like brass said, nothing bad to say. Enjoy it!

>>>>-------->

Looks awesome. That is the route I would take if I actually was able to purchase some land someday. I gotta say the umbrella top is kind of girly looking. LOL.

Not to criticize but 4WD is a must for me in a small tractor

Cannot tell from the pic, but if not already equipped, I would suggest a rollbar! My father was nearly killed when his rig reared up while pulling logs that snagged on a tree root- the entire tractor went over backwards.

I think you did well on the deal!

By: kadbow

kadbow's embedded Photo

Love my old tractor, does everything I need. I just do some small food plots and brush hogging and plowing in the winter.

Both of those remind me of my grandpa's place. About all he used the ford for was a yard tractor. I am no expert, but I wouldn't balk at the deal.

Trying to talk BIL into an old ford like Kadbow's. He wants a Kubota or Mahindra, but you can pick up farmalls or fords or old case's all day long for cheap.

Nice job!

CAS_HNTR's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is our tractor we use......my dad has owned it for over 30 years! We rewired this H a few years ago and converted it to 12v. ......she runs great and does all we need it to do!

If you go to www.TractorHouse.com, you can see what similar tractors are selling for....as well as the accessories that were thrown in. Just be sure to look it up as an International 460....NOT a Farmall 460. A lot of the value may be determined by the number of hours on the tractor (since rebuilt).

Initial research sounds like you got a reasonable deal, considering the included accessories.

By: jdee

Nice tractor . We have an old 8n that just won't die plus we can fix it. The new JD my bro just bought is high tech and high $$$.

By: LINK

Price sounds about right. I'll second a roll bar especially if handling hay bales. If stacking round bales or loading two high on a trailer a bale can come rolling down the loader onto you. I knew an old timer that lost a few fingers that way and was lucky that's all. Then he fashioned a roll bar/ bale stopper. The only thing a new made in China tractor has over yours is four wheel drive.

I will definitely be welding a rollbar in the future. My grandfather flipped a tractor over on top of himself once. He was pinned underwater in a drainage ditch and the PTO was beating him in the head. He somehow crawled out and walked over a half mile home where he collapsed and went into a coma for days. Years later when he got lung cancer in his 80's, they discovered he had been operating on 1 lung. The tractor had broken his rib, which punctured the lung.

By: Fuzzy

Great tractor. I've done a lot of production farming with H's, M's, a Super M Diesel, a Diesel 340, a 300 Gas and a 460 (all Farmall models) the TA is an awesome feature too.

By: Mr.C

if seller and buyer are both happy its a good deal reguardless of cost JMO

MikeC

Yep, now I need a tractor. Damn!

Nice tractor Thornton!

For price determination check out machinerypete.com

By: HANS1

Looks like a great utility tractor. My first tractor was an IH 1206. Those tractor always hold there value if well cared for. I can't see the new tractors of today being around 40 years from now. The TA is a great feature I always wonderered why they did away with it .

By: Heat

Sweet tractor, congrats!

By: t-roy

Very nice tractor Thorton. Hard to say if you got a good deal on it or not. So many factors involved.The loader itself adds quite a bit of value. If you are happy, that's all that matters. Sounds & looks like it is in great shape & I'll bet it will work great for your plots. I have a Farmall 340 that is nice little tractor for spraying, mowing, etc. I also have a 4020 JD diesel for plowing, discing & the heavier work. Love them older tractors!

Date:12-Mar-16

I have had a tractor roll over on me and it took weeks to recover(I was in my 40s). I wouldn't give you 50 cents for that tractor without a roll bar! Once it has a roll bar its probably worth every penny you paid for it. Mike

By: writer

...and a seat belt, too, Thorton.

As well as for you, the time will probably come when your wife is driving it, too, and we know you want to protect her, even more than yourself.

Tractors=fun

Enjoy it!

Mark

Date:13-Mar-16

Brian M. 's embedded Photo

1994 Ford 1920. Bought it summer of 2014 for $7300, came with front loader, forks and a plow. Wish I had bought it 10 yrs ago.

Nothing wrong with that Farmall.

By: wildan

Be careful pushing over dead trees,I almost killed myself doing that:snapped the top off.Tractors are a great work tool,we have two.

I had some hair raising experiences in my early 20's working on the county highway dept. I got hit on the highway by a guy going about 50 mph, and I rode a tractor to the bottom of a bridge embankment after the turf broke loose on top. When I hit bottom, the tractor tilted over on 2 wheels. I had braced myself between the rollbar and the steering wheel so I was not thrown out. The next year, the county invested in the big Ford's with airconditioned cabs but I still managed to get them stuck. The winch truck had to pull me out several times.

Very nice tractor. I bet you will find a lot of uses for it like I have with our old ford. My next project is building a new road through the woods.

Date:14-Mar-16

Great tractor. It's good to see guys that understand they don't need the new, flashy equipment to get the same end results.

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

Great use of a tractor with a scoop.

My best, Paul

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

sure beats dragging it out

Date:15-Mar-16

The reason for a narrow front tractor is for cultivating and mounting a 2 row corn picker. Nobody uses the two row mounted pickers and very few cultivate so no need for narrow (tricycle front). We used a mounted 2 row picker in my youth on about 250 acres of corn, and that was my tractor pulling a disk for spring tillage, Oliver 88. With practice you get good at keeping it wheels down.....;-)

By: Kurt

The neighbors had a Farmall 460 gas when I was growing up in WI back in the '50s and '60s. Seemed to be a heck of a good tractor for a lot of years for them.

We had a couple of narrow front Massey Harris tractors, a 44 and a 333 and never had any tipping issues, but north central WI was pretty flat. The only downhill skiing near the farm was on the approach hill going into the haymow.

I sure like the new MFWD tractors now a days better than the big clumsy old tricycle units, but we safely did all our farming with them. Of course I just move snow, dirt and rocks around the property these days.

NEBucks's embedded Photo

That 460 should be more than good for you. Here is my old tractor... a 60 John Deere. It leaks a little and creaks a little, but it does everything I will ever need it to do. :)

"It leaks a little and creaks a little"

That could describe more than a few of us here on Bowsite;)

Date:16-Mar-16

"That could describe more than a few of us here on Bowsite."

Isn't that the truth!

By: XMan
Date:16-Mar-16

dang it, this isn't what I needed to see right now. I have been jonesing for a tractor...

Looks good to me Thornton, congrats on the new toy, seems like a decent deal.

Date:25-Mar-16

Great thread. Looking at buying land in 5-6 years and would love a small little tractor. Have been wondering this myself - whats best? Some great resources shared.

Although I'm sure I will cuss when it doesn't work, I do enjoy using old things over new things.

By: t-roy
Date:25-Mar-16

t-roy's embedded Photo

hmaxims

This is the best! Just so happens to be for sale too! Farmall 340

You can buy an older tractor that will work great on food plots,etc., for pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open.

By: wildan
Date:27-Mar-16

Anyone interested in tractors should take a look at www.tractorbynet.com

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.