Canuck 12-Mar-16
Canuck 12-Mar-16
HoytCountry 12-Mar-16
Canuck 13-Mar-16
Mark Watkins 13-Mar-16
HoytCountry 15-Mar-16
safari 15-Mar-16

Date:10-Mar-16

Just ordered 100 1 year old trees . Pros and cons advice much appreciated. Teach me please . Bought for hard winter browse and cover

By: Olink
Date:11-Mar-16

Yep. Arborvitae. Better put fence around them or the deer will mow them down. Not only will they eat them, they love to thrash them with their antlers once the trees are big enough.

By: Canuck
Date:12-Mar-16

Are you sure that they are one year old? The ones I plant each year are called 2 plus 1 or 2 plus 2. This means two years a seedling and 1 or 2 years transplanted. These are real sturdy little trees that are about 2 feet in total length, half root have top.

Are you sure that they are one year old? The ones I plant each year are called 2 plus 1 or 2 plus 2. This means two years a seedling and 1 or 2 years transplanted. These are real sturdy little trees that are about 2 feet in total length, half root have top.

They are seedlings

Date:13-Mar-16

I don't know if rodb is talking about seedlings, but my 2 + 2 sure have done well.

Date:13-Mar-16

In 2008, when I bought my land and started my "deer hunting land journey", I received some great advice from a local forester....diversify, diversify, diversify (just like a sound investment strategy)!

I would suggest also planting some white spruce, black hills spruce and eastern red cedars for increased bedding/winter thermal cover.

To increase browse. Grab your chainsaw and go cut popple/aspen off at about he 1 foot mark. They will explode 3-4' the next year with thick new growth. Deer love the tender tops of a newly felled tree for immediate browse.

Good luck!

Mark

Date:15-Mar-16

Thank you all

By: safari
Date:15-Mar-16

Deer candy

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.