HINGE CUTTING
Habitat Improvement
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
DOEBOY 04-Mar-16
Mark Watkins 04-Mar-16
DOEBOY 04-Mar-16
deerman406 04-Mar-16
WV Mountaineer 04-Mar-16
Grunt-N-Gobble 04-Mar-16
DOEBOY 04-Mar-16
CAS_HNTR 04-Mar-16
Mark Watkins 04-Mar-16

By: DOEBOY
Date:04-Mar-16

What is the best species of trees to hinge cut in the Northeast?

I know you asked for the NE....but...at least here in MN (which I would think you will have about the same results (good)....elms, basswoods and ash predominately.

It is best to do it when it is above 30 degree so the trees are a little more pliable.

Popples, aspen, poplar (all very similar) don't bother hinging...simply cut them off completely about 1 foot off the ground and they will grow 3-4' next season creating cover and huge amounts of native browse!

Good luck and cut away!

Mark

Thanks Good Information!!

Yes maples and I have heard Beech will do ok as long as you cut it right. Be Careful!!! Shawn

Deer prefer Basswood and Poplar browse over other species. You might be slim on Poplar but, the Basswood should be prevalent in your area. I know the intent with your cutting might not be solely for young succession. But, if you have either of those in areas you want to do it in and, can pull it off without getting your brains knocked out, the trunk sprouts and seed germination for both species are vigorous.

Good luck and God Bless

I know a guy who has hinge cut a bunch of locust trees with good success. Can't say it's the best though.

The area I am thinking about hinge cutting mostly gray birch, poplar, white maple and cherry.

CAS_HNTR's MOBILE embedded Photo

It really amounts to how hard the wood is......harder trees (locust, oaks, hickory, ash, elm, maples, etc) hinge best......softer trees (poplar, sassafrass, etc) are not so good and ten to just snap off instead lean over.

You can try whatever you want, but trying to hinge a larger tree that is a softer wood is not a good idea!!!

Stick with trees the size of your thigh and under....bigger ones just cut off like you were felling them the "normal" way. Also as stated.....doing it when above freezing helps will snap offs.....it was too cold when we did this spot, but it worked.

DOEBOY, Cut away in established doe bedding areas on the trees you mentioned.....the chainsaw is unequivocally the best habitat improvement tool(including foodplots) we have at our discretion.

The deer will find your improvements within 24 hours enjoy the tender tree top nutrition.

You will be very happy next fall.

Mark

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.