Medicinemann 21-Feb-16
RymanCat 22-Feb-16
Zbone 23-Feb-16
Medicinemann 23-Feb-16
Zbone 23-Feb-16
Zbone 23-Feb-16
Zbone 23-Feb-16

Date:18-Feb-16

I tried to frost seed sumac today to thicken my cover and create more betting, browse, and thicken up my property. I did what I read on the internet by bringing water to a boil and then letting cool before spreading. We are expecting cold temps tonight again so that should hopefully suck it into the ground. Any input or success or failure would be great. I did not do a ph test or fertilze or lime as this stuff grows anywhere and should not need it IMHO.

Date:18-Feb-16

Never planted it but I let it grow and try to not pester it where we have it as its a good tree.

I do know that they are notorious for poor germination (10-20%).....so the method you mentioned is to help maximize your odds. Hope it works, but keep in mind that some can lay dormant for years.

Date:19-Feb-16

thanks CAS.

By: AndyJ

What part of MD do you live? I grew up in western MD and we couldn't get it not to grow. It was essentially leave a lawn alone for a month and sumac would sprout. I remember a significant portion of my younger years clearing huge "forests" of sumac only to have to reclear them the following summer. Have you tried transplanting?

Never knew Sumac was a deer brows?? That explains why when I go out back to my tree stand the deer are by my garage. It's got sumac along the back of it.

I thought it was a pest of a plant and grows all over and sprouts easily in my yard. This is north central WI.

I've never planted it, never really had to. It seems to grow at will. I know the deer are crazy for it, hopefully your plantings take off.

If you want to cover your bases, you could put in an order for some and plant them as well......I'd look at Missouri Dept of Cons as they will sell them pretty cheap in less quantities than most nurseries. Should be able to get 25 for about $10, plus shipping (which isn't too bad).

Date:20-Feb-16

Andy I am in southern MD La Plata. It is all over but I have a little six acres that I am trying to make really dense to keep people out (4 wheelers) and kids walking through on an old trail. There is summa all over just not on my property so I am trying to make it a little haven. Drop Tine, deer will hit the seeds in the winter and love to rub sumac with antlers too. I also threw some switch grass seed down too so hopefully it will be a great cover area if all works out. Cas I might do that but with so much out here I might be able to transplant easily. We will see. Thanks for input so far.

By: AndyJ
Date:20-Feb-16

If you are trying to keep people out, pant honeysuckle and wild raspberry. Honeysuckle is a PIA on dirt bikes and ATVs. And wild raspberry makes any hike a nightmare. On our farm we had had a lot of 1-3 acre plots that were a mix of Sumac, raspberry and honeysuckle. They were deer magnets.

You might want to try transplanting. At least give it a go and see if it works.

Date:21-Feb-16

Sumac is a good winter feed for turkeys, too. They'll fly into the thick of the trees and knock the staghorns to the ground, and then fly down and feed on them. Deer will follow the turkeys in, and compete for the staghorns. Like Brotsky stated, I don't know anyone that has had to plant it....it just seems to grow at will in western NY.

It makes a decent tea, but is sour as hell if you don't add sugar. High in Vitamin C as I recall.

Date:22-Feb-16

This explains why my back of house lot is to hot they come in there on the honeysuckle on fence and sumac in Pa.rub up a storm also.

How would you make tea without getting the poison?

By: Zbone
Date:23-Feb-16

Have tons of sumac around and have never seen a deer browse on it, or any other creature for that matter...

Stuff grows wild around here and always kinda considered it a nuisance...

BIG difference between Staghorn Sumac and Poison Sumac!!! Poison Sumac leaves are not saw-toothed, like Staghorn Sumac....and Poison Sumac has loose, unconsolidated berries, whereas Staghorn Sumac presents in tightly clustered groups. The green compound pinnate leaves of Poison Sumac normally come off of a red stem.....Staghorn Sumac leave stems are green, when the leaves are green.

I am sure if you Google Poison Sumac and Staghorn Sumac, the internet will probably have lots of photos for comparison.

The nuisance stuff that grows around here is "Smooth Sumac - Rhus glabra"... I guess it's a version of "staghorn"...

SMOOTH SUMAC - Rhus glabra

Family: Cashew Family (Anacardiaceae)

Other Names: wild sumac.

Origin and Distribution: Smooth sumac is a native of eastern U.S. Currently, it has a range extending throughout the U.S. except for an area in North Dakota and Montana. Smooth sumac can be found growing in all 88 counties of Ohio. It establishes on clearings, hillsides, and such disturbed sites as roadsides and reduced-tillage fields. With the exception of bogs, swamps, and shaded areas, smooth sumac tolerates nearly any condition and type of soil.

------

I guess we have the "STAGHORN SUMAC - Rhus typhina", too...

------

STAGHORN SUMAC - Rhus typhina

Family: Cashew Family (Anacardiaceae)

Other Names: Rhus hirta, staghorn, scarlet sumac, upland sumac, velvet sumac.

Origin and Distribution: Staghorn sumac is a native of eastern U.S. with a current range extending north to Quebec, south to Georgia, and as far west as Iowa. It grows everywhere in Ohio except a few counties located in the central and west central parts of the state. Staghorn sumac establishes on clearings, hillsides, open woods, and disturbed areas such as roadsides and reduced-tillage fields. It was planted as an ornamental but escaped cultivation, so it can also be found growing in lawns and gardens. The plant tolerates unfavorable conditions, thrives in polluted city air, and grows in such inhospitable sites as cracks in pavement. It will grow on any soil type.

Facts and Folklore: •'Staghorn' refers to the appearance of the branches of this species, which are covered with soft hairs resembling that on a deer's antlers when 'in velvet'.

•The Latin name used to distinguish this species refers to the manner the hairy, dense clusters of fruit located at the tips of branches resembles 'Typha' species (cattails).

•Native Americans used sumac as an antiseptic and astringent and in place of tobacco.

•Twigs exude a milky sap if they are crushed.

They look a lot a like, I didn't realize there are 2 separate species around here... Have seen tweety birds peck at some a little during late winter and other critters may nibble on some a little but not so much to consider it as a food source around here, although there is so much around they wouldn't have to travel far to find it...

Wild sumac is considered a weed around here, a pioneer plant, one of the first plants to take over a field... Shouldn't have any trouble growing it if considering...

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.