IAHUNTER 14-Feb-16
Topgun 30-06 14-Feb-16
sagittarius 15-Feb-16
nutritionist 20-Feb-16
Magnus 20-Feb-16
1boonr 21-Feb-16

By: JohnB
Date:12-Feb-16

Found out 2 weeks ago MO conservation dept. is going to kill 250 deer in a 5 sq. mile area and I hunt in the middle of it. They had some deer from a deer farm get loose apparently and instated a program to keep an eye on it and now its been found about 12 miles further west. Not sure I agree with the theory of killing that many for a sample size or maybe just to slow the spread. Thoughts?

How did Colorado or Wisconsin deal with this in the early stages?

There was CWD found on a deer facility in Menard Co. here in Texas last fall. Then another deer that had been sold from the first facility to another facility tested positive. Lots of deer killing going on at these facilities ( by the state ) and lots of pissed off deer " farmers ". I don't know what will come of it, but I feel that since there is so much money involved in deer hunting here, the guy who hunts low fence, free range will ultimately be the loser.

The deer farmers take the position that CWD could come from anywhere, but the fact remains that the only whitetails that have tested positive came from pens. A few mulies in far west Texas were tested positive a couple years ago, but no whitetails yet except those penned.

The problem is, no conclusive test is available for live deer ( according to people who know more than me ) , so a deer has to die to be tested. I know that a lot of roadkill deer have been tested, but as far as I can tell, none came up positive.

Dr. James Kroll, of Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, stated several years ago that he wasn't near as worried about CWD as he was EHD. I wonder what his thoughts are now ? Serious question, not meant in jest. I haven't heard what he has had to say about this, if anything. He's a smart guy and would like to hear his thoughts, because it does worry me.

We are basically waiting for the other shoe to drop here, and wondering if money or morals will win. Good luck in your area as well.

By: LKH

CWD will kill a few deer over time. EHD will kill the vast majority of whitetails in an affected area in weeks.

I lost 90% of the whitetails on and near my place in MT.

In WY I hunt and guide in an area that has CWD and have never seen a sick deer.

I live in the core endemic area in N. CO where it was discovered. The CDOW did a massive deer slaughter to try to remove it, before discovering that the prions remain in the soil almost indefinitely, and that bucks spread it from doe group to doe group when they travel during the rut.

But they didn't do anything about lions or coyotes in the same area, so it's taken many, many years for the mule deer to even begin to recover. Also, some believe that during the slaughter they may have also killed those with a natural immunity, which could been passed on to offspring. I haven't read any recent studies to confirm or disprove that hypothesis. However it has made the jump to moose, which could have come from a number of sources, including salt and mineral blocks.

What I do know is that a bunch of guys with .270s with night vision scopes are far more detrimental to the deer herd that CWD ever was. The one thing they know for sure about CWD is that there is a LOT nobody knows for sure.....

The agent told me he thinks the disease is transported thru the feces? Since Missouri had its first outbreak about 4 yrs ago the state really has clamped down on the deer farmers and changed the regs in a several county area to remove more deer. The EHD has also been a problem the last 3 summers so the deer population is already low. I cant see removing 250 deer is going to make for a good hunt the next several years and a hard outbreak of EHD this summer could be disasterous!

Thanks Lou I tend to agree. I don't see how they can remove it once it hits the soil. With 279,401 deer shot last year in Missouri that's a lot of tag money they are worried about but like I told the agent you cant kill all the pine bore beetles and I don't think what they are doing will change things with CWD. I was offered a chance to go out with him and see how it all works. They age the deer measure the fetuses and sample for the disease.

A good place to get info on CWD would be go on a Deer or Elk Farmmimng or Cervid industry website they have spent millions on research and trying to develop a live test, and I think they are very close. CWD is a concern but EHD is a greater threat to deer it will decimate deer numbers in a short time. There has been herds of farmed deer or elk where they found one animal positive and eradicated the rest of the herd an found none. Places out west where CWD was first found elk numbers have grown. I beleave CWD is in every state that has deer but if they don't look for it they won't find it. My two cents.

CWD is naturally occurring and will never be stopped and probably not even slowed down. In the decades since it was found in that captive CO herd they still don't know all the way it spreads and there is no way to kill the prion. IMHO they go way overbord killing a ton of deer and the %, if any positives are found, is so low as to be negligible. As was said above, I'd be a lot more worried about losing a ton of deer in a small area in just a few weeks if EHD hits as deadly as it is.

By: writer

Some of the percentages found in NW Kansas during the recent seasons were pretty alarming.

The thing about EHD, is that it can kill some sizable percentages but doesn't occur very often.

CWD hits every year it's in an area.

You think the slaughters are bad now, wait until the first time there's even a smidgen of proof it can be transmitted to livestock.

Good point, writer. It already made the jump to moose, and we know it jumped because Shiras moose have only been here since the late '70s....

Good point, writer. It already made the jump to moose, and we know it jumped because Shiras moose have only been here since the late '70s....

They did the same thing just down the road from me last winter JohnB. My deer numbers were actually coming back strong after the EHD out breaks and then they decided to do that. My hunting was the worst it's been in the 20 years I've owned my farm. No supplemental feeding, no mineral licks, I'm surprised MDC still allows us to put food plots in!

Correct me if I'm wrong but dry summers are when EHD spikes as the midges are water bourne last summer was fairly wet and we still lost a few deer to EHD hopefully this summer isn't to hard on the deer.

Mike this area is between Marceline and Brookfield 4 miles north and 1 mile south of 36 highway.

Even if there is a higher % like writer mentioned, why is it that very few diseased deer with CWD are seen while people are out recreating? It does not appear that many are dying of it such that they are ever seen as compared to all the dead deer that can easily be seen that die within a few weeks when hit by EHD. Scientists claim that CWD does not appear to be transferred to humans, but say not to eat one that has it. The big problem with that is how many people are going to pay big money to have every animal they shoot tested. It's incredible to me that CWD was found in that captive CO herd way back in the 70s and they don't know much more about it and how it's spread or if it's really taking much of a toll on wildlife in all the years since then.

By: Ziek
Date:13-Feb-16

"...how many people are going to pay big money..."

I don't know what they charge in Michigan, but it only costs $25 to have one tested in Colorado. Hardly "big money", and if it comes back positive you can choose a license refund, or a doe tag for the same area for the remainder of the season or following season. If I remember correctly they also refunded the cost of the test and payed a flat fee for having it processed even though I cut up my own.

Around here, we have seen a few sick deer over the years, but I suspect that as soon as they start to show symptoms the cougars, bears, coyotes, and maybe even bobcats get an easy meal.

I'm north of there John. I'm in Adair, less than a mile from Macon and slightly farther from Linn county. Along the Chariton river west of La Plata on 63, actually just outside of South Gifford. I believe we've had CWD in the state for years and they just didn't test for it. As others stated I've always heard once it's in the soil it's in the soil, so I really don't understand how reducing our herd is going to prevent the remaining deer from getting it. This is the first time in years that I passed every doe I had a shot at because the last thing I want to do is reduce my deer numbers any more than they already are! Good luck! Hope it doesn't totally ruin your next few seasons!

As Ziek noted, a recent study of collared cougars in the core area showed that they definitely prey on infected deer more heavily, as a percentage of the overall population. They weren't sure if cougars somehow sensed the infection or because the sick deer were easier to catch and kill (duh...).

Either way, we have so many scavengers and predators in this area that any carcass is cleaned up pretty quickly. So you don't see carcasses just lying around.

The disease was discovered in the CSU deer pens in the 60s, but when I accompanied a reporter from the Wall Street Journal on interviews with old ranchers in the area, they said they've seen sick deer with the symptoms since they were kids, back in the 30s. Some believe the penned deer may have been infected by outside wild deer through the fencing.

No matter what, there are still more mysteries than solid conclusions about this malady.

In Wisconsin, the DNR created a bit of a mass panic at first. The core area it was first discovered in is about 60 miles south of me, and the surrounding areas were labeled as the "extermination zone". And, they tried to do just that...which, of course, is nigh on impossible to do. But they sure tried.

My area was included in the "control zone". Which wasn't that much different; unlimited doe tags and "earn a buck" whereby you had to kill an antlerless to "earn" a buck tag. Some guys were killing literally dozens of deer, and our numbers were decimated.

The first firearm season the DNR placed out huge dumpsters for "hunters" to kill and dispose of carcasses. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it...they were overflowing.

This went on for years, and I subsequently quit bowhunting...I'd hung up the rifle after the first year of this debacle. Ten years later, my son wanted to hunt with dad...can't say no to that, eh?

So, first year back bowhunting I saw two deer...period...all season. Year two saw three bucks and a couple does. This last season we're appearing to be making a bit of a comeback. I saw about nine different bucks and an equal number of does and fawns.

Subsequently, I killed my first buck in 13 years...I'm 63.

A friend was talking to a rancher in Colorado he helps out in exchange for elk privileges and mentioned our CWD situation. The rancher said, "You guys worried about that?" My friend asked what "they" did about it...ignore it, it's been around forever and always will.

I don't have the answers, but I really see no way to control it. Around my area, after the original panic, people pretty much just accept it.

There's all manner of conspiracy theories floating about here...in particular about collusion between insurance companies and the DNR to reduce deer numbers and subsequently car vs deer claims.

1) The Texas outbreak started in Medina Co, not Menard

2)"CWD is naturally occurring" Uh, certainly not proven by a long shot. They have now sampled over 9000 wild deer in Texas and although not thru with the testing, there have been no positives. Old ranchers with stories of sick deer in the 30s is not science. There are many things that might look the same to ranchers of the past.

3)"there is no way to kill the prion" Absolutely true, which is why attempting to contain it is so important. I will admit the current efforts are sorely lacking. Indescriminate shooting of deer isn't working.

4) "look at deer websites for info" LOL. They stand to lose their farms if current conditions with the disease don't change, so I think they are a little prejudiced

5) Hasn't been proven to jump to humans, but has through the years to other species. Would you feed a know CWD deer to your kids or grandkids?? Not me

One thing is for sure: we need to know more about this disease and quickly and a reliable live tests needs to be formulated. With the Medina Co outbreak, they took "live test" samples and 1 of the 4 deer that was positive was negative to the live test.

I am extremely worried for Texas, both because I am a Veterinarian with Deer Clients and because I am a hunts and ranch owner and my first priority is to protect the natural resource. As hunters you better be on the side of the wild game first and not buy into 1/2 truths from an industry who only shows one side of the story.

By: Matte

Do you run feeders at your Ranch?

txhunter, they haven't proven that CWD was NOT naturally occurring, either. The fact remains that in the core endemic area here, deer exhibiting the SYMPTOMS of CWD have been around as long as anyone who lives in wild deer country can recall.

What they do know is that anytime deer, elk, and moose are concentrated by feeders, salt grounds, or high fence, the disease is spread more rapidly through a higher percentage of the population. So we would expect a rapid spread in Texas. Colorado has imposed serious fines on anyone feeding or luring (salt) wild deer and elk. Strange that other states that are SO WORRIED about CWD still allow baiting and feeding. Isn't that curious?

Researchers have tried to force a jump into other species, and haven't made it happen. Cattle and sheep live year round side-by-side with infected deer and it hasn't jumped to them, even when they lick the same mineral blocks.

Our county here, Larimer, has a lower incidence of CJD-variant in humans than the national average. Tens of thousands of people have been eating infected animals for at least 50 years (assuming the disease miraculously "hatched" one summer day in the 60's that one little deer pen a few miles west of my house)

By: writer

As for "naturally occurring," it's been interesting to watch the spread into Kansas. For ten years there were no positives, then one in the very northwest part of the state, where they'd figure it would come from Nebraska or Colorado.

Since, it's been gradually moving south and east, but the percentages of infected animals in some of the original counties has continued to increase, sometimes a lot.

No doubt thousands of tons of infected deer and elk have been eaten through the decades.

I also live in the Colorados hot spot for CWD. Whitetails bounced back after the extreme culling but the muleys will take a long time. I get that population reduction was the only tool managers had that they thought might stem its spread, but the cure was worse than the problem. I'm sure I have eaten my share living here since the 70s.

Infected animals only show outward symptoms in the last stages so not seeing deer that appear sick doesn't mean it's not around.

txhunter, my bad. Brain fart, it is Medina Co. Lots of unknowns in this disease,especially since it's been around since the sixties.

But one thing is for certain IMO. It has a much better chance of spreading all across our state when deer are transported from one county to another when nobody knows if that deer is diseased or not. A reliable test on live deer needs to happen soon !

Writer, one thing to remember is that whitetails were rare in CO until the '70s, except for the extreme eastern part of the state in the riverbottoms. Since then they have spread west and became common in the core area. So no surprise that it is spreading east from here because there now exists a chain of interaction from the core area all the way through KS and NE. This is a recent development.

I've lived in the core area my whole life and never saw a whitetail until the mid 80s, even though I lived on the river bottom. Now that same stretch of river bottom is loaded with whitetails.

Also, the 60s was when the massive transfer of potentially infected deer and elk really took off by NR hunters. Infected spinal columns have been distributed all across the country since then. If it was naturally occurring and localized, that unintentional "stocking" of prions most certainly contributed to the spread.

By: Ziek

Ziek's embedded Photo

"...not seeing deer that appear sick doesn't mean it's not around."

So true. This deer had a strong positive test. It looked as healthy as any deer I've ever seen.

Date:14-Feb-16

On an average of about every six months, a new theory about CWD appears. Although I was at UW about the time it was discovered in the animals that came from CSU and despite the fact it has never been proven it occurs naturally, I tend to believe it does and always has.

Why are no infected deer ever seen in the wild? Because they are in the wild and not seen on a regular basis. And because the symptoms to not manuifest themselves over a long period of time. Much like insanity, the physical appearance may be normal for a long time. But that is just my theory.

Several years ago, when CWD was such a blistering hot topic, I did some serious research on not only CWD but on other prio borne diseases. I had two main concerns. (1) What was the transmissabilty of CWD? And of more importance, (2) Could it be contracted by eating the meat of infected animals?

Today, I don't even give it a thought. I will say, I do not believe killing large numbers of "test" animals is of much benefit at all. I suspect CWD is present anywhere there are large populations of deer and probably caribou as well.

Now I shall be brutally honest. Today, I have really only three main concerns. What I am going to eat today, how much I am going to eat and my son's battle with muscular dystrophy. I do, at times, consider the fishing and hunting prospects for the day and always, my relationship with God. I figure He will pretty well look after it all.

Actually, a live test of elk has been developed and is being evaluated ie, a rectal biopsy on live elk. ( not deer)

Mostly on penned elk and some in the Rock Mt National Park where some cow elk were anesthetized, sampled, gps collared,and released. If the sample test was positive, the elk was tracked down and killed.

Just may be too expensive to do on a wild elk population, is my guess.

Paul

By: Don K
Don K's Supporting Link

Heres some thoughts......

IOWA RUT NUT's Supporting Link

CWD is probably a serious long term threat. Some scary info here http://www.wyofile.com/study-chronic-wasting-disease-kills-19-deer-annually/

Outlaw deer farms and stop putting feeders out and things will improve. It's proven that close deer to deer contact(saliva) transmits the disease and these deer farms are nothing but incubators for disease. Wisconsin drew a boundary and wanted those deer killed and I believe it was a year round shooting.

Iowa Rut Nut, this study conclusion reminds me of the alarmist predictions ten years ago that by 2015 snow would be a thing of the past...

If this were true, why is the mule deer population in the hottest part of the core endemic area increasing? How is it that they are rebounding following the massive, and now regrettable, slaughter, even though we have cougars, bears, and coyotes out the kazoo, and we also have hunting, including of does? How is it that whitetails are increasing at such a rate that the CPW is trying to eradicate them to protect muleys and moose?

I tend to believe writer's theory on this. I believe it's been here much longer than we might think. Like anthrax, it may be present in the soil and just needs the right circumstances to infect deer, elk, etc. But I also believe LB's theory about the deer farms. Penned deer, IMO, are much more likely to contract any disease that one deer has simply because of their close proximity to the others.

As for feeders ? Who knows ? What about 8 or 10 deer grazing one after the other in a food plot ? Aren't they passing their saliva around ? If it's present in the soils, when that oat/rye plot of mine looks like astro turf ( as it does now ), they are eating almost in the dirt. It's a head scratcher for sure.

If one studies CWD testing in Wisconsin you will see it radiated out from a core infection area. The areas with the highest infection rates are near the center. There are lots of infection points. Birds of prey, vultures, can feed on a infected carcass and spread prions from state to state. Areas of high infection rates in CO have documented decreases in mature bucks. CWD is spreading everywhere. The higher the deer population, the faster it spreads. The end result, where, when, only time will tell. Enjoy what you can, when you can, and pray for a reasonable solution.

I don't worry about it at all and I only have mild tremors! Well actually I just don't eat chops with bones and I don't let my granddaughter who's brain is still developing eat any meat, although I don't know if that even matters. I also won't shoot an unhealthy looking deer or elk. Only place I've seen unhealthy looking animals though is in urban herds and in RMNP.

By: jims

If my memory is correct, the hottest area in Colo with CWD only had 4% (if that) of total deer in the population that were infected. From what I observed in the field, predators almost instantly took care of sick deer so they don't live long. It isn't called survival of the fittest for nothing! It quickly became evident that the CDOW's slaughter wasn't necessary. The deer along the Front Range haven't recovered since that slaughter....and not necessarily due to CWD!

jim, they are actually coming back really well in the area west of Fort Collins where much of the slaughter occurred. We're seeing lots more deer, roadkills are up (a key indicator,) as is hunter success.

What we are also seeing, however, is a loss of fawns to predators. There is a good fawning area in the river bottom below my place. I get to watch the fawns with their moms all summer- as they disappear one-by-one. It's the recruitment that's a problem, not so much CWD.

By: jims

Jaquomo, That's great news you are seeing more deer and fawns! There's still a long road to recovery where I've been hiking. Yesterday I saw more deer than I've seen for a long time so that was promising. I have a feeling having 2 wet springs in a row definitely helps. It looks like we're having another good moisture year so far so keep your fingers crossed it continues!

Jim, another thing that undoubtedly helped was the burning of a bunch of winter range forage with the Hewlett Gulch and High Park fires. That winter range was getting way too old, too woody, losing nutritional value, and needed a fire. The rejuvenation of vegetation has certainly helped with the doe vigor, leading to higher fawn birth and survival.

On the grand scale, winter range loss and forage value deterioration coupled with an increase in predators (too much fragmented private land = very limited predator hunting) is a bigger threat to mule deer viability than CWD, IMO. I know biologists who agree.

The whitetail situation elsewhere with CWD is different, and I can't speak to that.

Just filled out my deer surveys I get from the state on my archery and gun deer season for 2015 from the state of MO. one of the questions asked was if I thought feeders and mineral licks were a good or bad idea, in my county they had already banned them as I am in the CWD containment zone I am wondering if they are considering banning them statewide. I personally don't think supplements are a bad idea for overall health and don't really think the soybean field is going to congregate them any less, they really like those hidden corners.

By: LKH

There is a huge difference between food plots and lick tubs/mineral licks.

in the plot the deer bites off a chunk and eats it. In the tubs they are swapping spit.

I had the privilege of attending a seminar on CWD presented by Dr. James Kroll (Dr. Deer) last month at the Dallas Safari Club convention. He has over 50 years deer biology experience in every state, Canadian province and Mexico. Here are some of my highlight notes of that seminar:

*CWD infection is very slow to spread- turns brain to sponge

*CWD normally hits older/trophy bucks

* More deer die from harvest and old age than from CWD

*CWD will be in every state

*CWD is simply a disease that just occurs

* Biologist have become more knowledgeable about the disease and CWD is not as bad as first thought

*Habitat loss is a greater threat to whitetail deer than CWD

*EHD is a greater concern that CWD

His annual deer seminar will be held in Nacodoches, Tx on 3/12/16. Info on drdeer.com (events).

Aggressive harvest programs will have the greatest impact on hunter success rates in the 0 to 10 year time frame in areas that use this a tool.

0 to forever hunting picture looks like one with CWD regardless of management or new medicine.

Better safe than sorry, plan to continue to test harvested animals.

Buffalo1---Thanks for that quick synopsis of what Dr. Kroll stated. From my extensive readings over the last several decades on CWD I'm in agreement with ever single one of the notes you mentioned in his speech!

Date:15-Feb-16
sagittarius's Supporting Link

In southern Converse County Wyoming.... 19% of the mule deer herd dies of CWD each year.

Uninfected Muled deer have a 76% annual survival rate ... CWD infected Mule deer have only a 32% annual survival rate.

The study also showed there might be a small percentage of the deer/elk population than may be resistant to CWD. So there may come a time where CWD lowers the deer population to the point where no hunting would be allowed, until the herd recover naturally, if possible, hopefully with CWD resistance.

http://www.wyofile.com/study-chronic-wasting-disease-kills-19-deer-annually/

Date:20-Feb-16

This topic comes up a lot with me as i have numerous clients in the heart of CWD country. Here is my take.

It is illegal to put any claims on any products saying any products will reduce the harm of stop the spread of cwd. Yep, there is people who do that and it always results in major slaps.

cwd perhaps has been around for 40-60 years but we didn't have the deer densities that we do not. We also use to shoot everything that ran and there was not nearly as many mature deer alive to die from it.

Healthy deer i believe will survive longer from cwd but now much longer? Who knows.

I believe the future of deer farms is in jeopardy.

So, it's a challenge in the area where i live and consult. I believe that there is not enough information and no one wants to think out of the box on this.

By: Magnus
Date:20-Feb-16

I agree with Buffalo1....in that EHD is a much bigger concern that CWD. I own 1200ac in SE Iowa, very close to where the first case of CWD in the state was ever found. We've seen no effect on our deer from that. Yet, 3 of the past 4 years we've been hammered with EHD. This has totally disrupted our age classes and quality deer management. Very discouraging. 2015 was anything but a drought year, yet it was the worst EHD year in many areas of southern Iowa and northern Missouri. Very troubling to just wait/see what each successive year brings. Seems like just when we start building some quality age classes, we get whacked again and it starts over......

By: 1boonr
Date:21-Feb-16

CWD has been in Colorado since the late 60's. it hasn't killed all the deer where it started and you can shoot a mature buck in that area even today. it will suck when it gets here but will not be the end. we will have to get used to it. Ehd seems to be far worse of a problem with the new strains they are seeing. EHD can wipe out all of your mature bucks which means you have to wait two or three years for the age structure to get back.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.