Dakota 03-Jan-16
smarba 05-Jan-16
smarba 05-Jan-16
Freed59 05-Jan-16
smarba 06-Jan-16
Destroyer350 06-Jan-16
LINK 06-Jan-16

Date:03-Dec-15

So with deer season winding down, I have been tossing ideas around as to how I can keep gettin out in the woods to hunt. Try more I look at it the more fun hunting for coyotes, fox, and other such animals looks. Having never done it before my question is really how to start?

1. How to pick a location, and scout for them? 2. Are there certain types of calls that work better, or is it more about being proficient with the call? 3. What are the most important things to consider when hunting? 4. Anything else I should know before going out?

Thanks ahead of time

Always remember a coyote is going to go down wind. It's a matter are they going to do it at 5 yards or 500 yards. I prefer a cross wind when calling. At the very least I want to be able to see a long ways downwind.

I do like Pat said and make my first sequence pretty low volume. However after that I usually howl and I do that at 3/4 volume. By howling I think it puts them at ease. They think another coyote is there. Coyotes can be territorial so they don't want another coyote eating there rabbits.

Last but not least I am working in polluck SD having the time of my life calling coyotes. I got #8 this morning before work. If you want to meet up and hunt for a day. I will be happy to help you get the feel of things.

Another thing to remember after each stand is to bring your gun with you when you retrieve your call or decoy. I cant tell you how many times I have gotten up without my rifle to see a coyote running off. They will also try to take any sort of ditch or drainage up as close to the call as possible. Don't be surprised if they all of a sudden they pop out at 50 yards or closer. There are a ton of different calls. I use a foxpro electronic call. They come preloaded with real distress sounds. They are a little pricey but you will not be disappointed.

Will you be hunting private or is it public? Also what gun will you be using? The reason I ask is because if your wanting to keep the pelts you want to have a "fur friendly" gun.

I will more than likely be hunting on public land, in the black hills or surrounding area. I was hoping to use a bow for them but realize it is probably best to start with a gun to get practice calling, at the moment I dont have a gun that would be "fur friendly" just a 30-06, but am looking into getting another rifle soon, what calibers would be recommended?

Another question I have is does your setup, or approach change much if you are hunting a forested area vs a prairie area?

Fulldraw, thanks for the offer it would be great to get out and learn from someone with experience. I'll have to see if I can find some time off from school since I'm in Rapid city so it would be a few hour trip up to where you are.

I will more than likely be hunting on public land, in the black hills or surrounding area. I was hoping to use a bow for them but realize it is probably best to start with a gun to get practice calling, at the moment I dont have a gun that would be "fur friendly" just a 30-06, but am looking into getting another rifle soon, what calibers would be recommended?

Another question I have is does your setup, or approach change much if you are hunting a forested area vs a prairie area?

Fulldraw, thanks for the offer it would be great to get out and learn from someone with experience. I'll have to see if I can find some time off from school since I'm in Rapid city so it would be a few hour trip up to where you are.

22-250, 223, 243 etc are all fur friendly cartridges.

I can't help you on the forested part. I like the more open country. Grass lands, creek bottoms, sloughs etc. Having AG ground close by helps as well. Coyotes love to hunt in AG fields at night. There should be plenty of that type of country around Rapid. I might end up that way one weekend. I will give you a shout if I do.

Calling them into bowrange is very fun but very hard. When I am deer hunting I usually get a crack at a few. I always have an open Reed call in my pack while deer hunting.

Try not to sit in the sun or looking into the sun. I remove anything that is shiny. Coyotes will pick up on that in a hurry. As with any hunting movement is a killer. Try to avoid crossing over ridges if at all possible.

One more thing to add. Your probably only going to see 50% of the coyotes you call in. The more movement you have that percentage goes down.

When you go out to public land maybe stop and talk to some ranchers and ask them what they see or hear. A lot of them love to visit. They might even let you hunt there if they are having problems with predators.

30-06 is overkill - I have shot them with something as big as a .270 but maybe get something smaller than that. Pat and Fulldraw might have some recommendations but I use a .223 AR or my .243. If you dont already have an AR I think you should maybe look into it. Especially with the way things are going in our country.

I would also get some hand calls. I use my electronic call but remember batteries will die and you need something for a backup. I use cottontail in distress, fawn in distress and kitten in distress. They are fairly cheap too. Less than 20 bucks a piece.

"Another question I have is does your setup, or approach change much if you are hunting a forested area vs a prairie area?" Kinda. I will usually sit longer in forested areas than I do in the prairie. I have been caught off guard more in forested areas so keep your head on a swivel. Maybe put the caller closer to you so they cant lock up out of sight or try to come in downwind. I like to use a decoy so they have something to focus on instead of me.

IMO the best piece of advise is patience. Not sure about out west buy here in the northeast it takes at least 10 setups sometimes to get one to come in. In other words don't give up if you haven't called one in on the first couple try's or days. The pros say call for 20 minutes and move on. I've had many times where it was 40 minutes and I stand up to move and see a coyote running away. The Ecaller has the advantage of being placed away from you like pat said but I have actually had better luck with my mouth call as I can make the sounds different pitched and not sound replayed like on the caller. I guarantee your first yote coming in will get you hooked. I had one rip by my at about five feet while I was watching another come straight to me in full tilt. That was a rush for sure. Good luck.

I would appreciate some input: a friend has 40 acres I should be able to hunt. One side borders a residential area (mostly large homes on 5 acre lots), the other three sides are bordered by large tracts (several hundred acres +) of private land. There is a public hiking path not far off, but most of the private land surrounding it is oil lease and sees a handful of people at most passing through during the day.

I know coyotes are present in the area as the residential areas see quite a few missing cats, chickens, etc. and I hear them at night. I scouted some last weekend and only saw older looking sign (but tons of deer tracks).

The property is quite hilly, one dry creek bottom with oaks, a eucalyptus stand, and lots of grass and shrubs.

Any particular way I should approach hunting this area? At only 40 acres I can't really call for 20 minutes then move on, so if nothing shows what's a reasonable amount of time to call?

Of course, there is a lot of public land an hour or 2 away, but this spot is 15 minutes from the front door, and I'd like to give it a shot if it's worth trying.

ben yehuda 's embedded Photo

Here's a photo of the area

I would wait for 45 minutes at least with only 40 acres. You may get two or three setups with that size. I'm not sure how it will work out for you but here in the northeast I have yet to call one into an open field so now I stay back in the woods. It may work for you on your land in that open area in the picture but here I would only try it once and see. I would start calling in the thickest part on that land and also the dry creek beds may be used by them coming to your call and keeping low. Make sure you can see for a distance left and right as they will try and circle you to get your wind.

Obviously hunt the wind but I would try to hunt the fringes with a good field of view and work my way in. I would bet with the houses and trails they are used to smelling and seeing people. Its pretty hard to scout for coyotes since they don't take the same routes. I dont hunt them the same way as I do Deer. Hunting Deer you are the predator and they are the prey. While coyote hunting let them be the predator and you are prey. Act vulnerable!!

I would call for a few minutes and then stop for a few minutes - then repeat. If one call isnt working after a while switch to something different. You would be surprised at how many predators you can call in from a distress sound that isnt even in your area. i.e snowshoe hare.

From the looks of the terrain and cover I would bring a rifle and a shotgun - In case any of them come in fast and close.

One tip I'd add is, especially if you have a buddy come along, to pack a shotgun with buck shot or some other type of real heavy shot. When my buddy and I go out we always do that just in case, as others have mentioned you never know when you'll look to your right and there's a dog 20 yards away looking at you. Sure is easier to shoot one that close with a shotgun than with your rifle

Thanks for the input fellas. I appreciate it.

Freed59, hope I didn't hijack your thread.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help,it is very helpful to get some information. Its making me even more excited to get out and give it a shot.

Another question I have is in wooded areas what are some things that you look for when deciding where to set up?

And Ben, not a problem at all, glad you jumped in and asked the more information the better

Date:04-Dec-15

When we look for places to set up we try to get to where it would be hard for the coyote to get down wind of us. And if it does, we will be able to see and shoot it before it gets our scent. We've sat with our backs to fields, ponds, streams, etc. if everything is strictly timber we have set up with extremely open hardwoods to our back. We are by no means master predator hunters but that's how we do it and I think it makes sense

Date:04-Dec-15

Don't be afraid to use tree stands also. I've shot more out of trees than I have on the ground. You can see better in every direction and maybe get your scent aloft. Put the caller on the ground so they aren't looking up.

Date:05-Dec-15

After reading Hollywood's epic thread from 2008 I had another question: anyone ever accidentally call in a mountain lion while calling for coyotes or bobcats?

Is there much of a possibility of doing so? Hunting them is not an option here, but they are pretty common in my area so I was wondering what the odds would be of seeing one come in.

California calling: When calling predators you can expect anything within reason. Coyotes come in fast.If a coyote is not within hearing he wont come in. They move fast. Expect a shot in the first two minutes. Maybe shooting in twenty seconds.

Bobcat are slow. They use all terrain features and move slow. Twenty minutes is not all that unusual. they may stick their head in your caller if you reduced volume. Ive had it happen.

Ive called deer, bear, hawks, owls, dog's and anything thats curious or hungry. Animals in rut are easy to call. Dont be surprised when a whitetail buck comes in to your rabbit distress.

California calling: When calling predators you can expect anything within reason. Coyotes come in fast.If a coyote is not within hearing he wont come in. They move fast. Expect a shot in the first two minutes. Maybe shooting in twenty seconds.

Bobcat are slow. They use all terrain features and move slow. Twenty minutes is not all that unusual. they may stick their head in your caller if you reduced volume. Ive had it happen.

Ive called deer, bear, hawks, owls, dog's and anything thats curious or hungry. Animals in rut are easy to call. Dont be surprised when a whitetail buck comes in to your rabbit distress.

Date:07-Dec-15

Destroyer350's embedded Photo

There is a chance that you can call something other than a bobcat or coyote when hunting - especially in California. If your hunting solo just watch your back and try to get out of there before dark if you know they're in the area. But once they figure out your a human they don't want anything to do with you.

Here are some tracks I came across Saturday while hunting.

That's very cool. I still need to pick up a proper predator call.

I downloaded a free predator call app on my phone the other day. On the way home from work I pulled over and hiked for 5 minutes up into the hills, stopped and played the cottontail in distress for 5 minutes. A small rabbit hopped out of the bushes 20 yards away and sat looking at me.

I moved another hundred yards to the edge of a small brush choked draw and played one of the coyote howls; three does got up out of the brush and trotted out of the draw and over the hill.

I think predator calling is going to be a lot of fun once I get set up to do it right.

HuntHard's embedded Photo

Took this one rhis morning....my first yote ever with a gun. I have trapped them before. I am hooked! So much fun. I used mouth calls. 308 rifle and 200 yard shot.

Small female. NW Indiana

.308 certainly got the job done!

Date:08-Dec-15

Drop Tine's embedded Photo

I didn't read all the responses so if it's been mentioned before I apologize. But the number 1 mistake I see from other callers with little experience is they start out calling to loud.

Coyote has exceptional hearing. You don't want to sneak into your spot and start out at max volume and blow that pair out of the area that was sleeping in the drainage below you. I start out at about 30/35% and go up from there if no response.

HuntHard's embedded Photo

GAFFER1's embedded Photo

This guy came in to "the can" doe in heat call. I was surprised but very happy with the result of our meeting.

Date:09-Dec-15

Date:10-Dec-15

Date:10-Dec-15

Really not sure how these extra posts got here. This is the first time I've opened this thread in a couple days.

Anyway to delete these?

Date:13-Dec-15

The can works pretty good. I called two coyotes in at two different times with the can while I was in my stand deer hunting. I spotted them moving through the area and used the can. they came right in. The second one was a big male and I shot him with my recurve!

Date:21-Dec-15

Date:21-Dec-15

Apparently a .308 works on hamblasters for yotes :)

By: HH1
Date:22-Dec-15

I'm not sure what seasons are still going on in your area but......

Currently, here in Colorado we are still hunting Antelope and a handful of other critters (private land only tags) which makes it pretty easy to find coyotes. I have not met a landowner that would deny anyone of coyote hunting on their property (unless of course their livestock was in there). So, if you know of friends that have recently harvested deer and or Antelope talk to them and find out where. And chances are coyotes will not be far.

I haven't been shooting them this year but I have counted coup on about a dozen close to gut pile locations.

Also, as far gun choices are concerned... I am a huge fan of the 25-06 for Deer, Antelope and especially Coyotes. That being said, the only bad gun for coyotes is one that isn't loaded :-)

Great info and yotes guys!

Just bought an AR...

Keep it rolling as I'm all ears!

Mark

Franzen's embedded Photo

Here's one that was opportunity shot.

Some good lookin yotes, I'm away for Christmas now but my roommate and I are planning to get out a bit in early January through February at least, he has a few AR's to use, but figured I would bring my bow with just for fun. I also picked up a blind recently, have many of you used them before and are they useful or do coyotes pick them out easily?

Date:31-Dec-15

Freed, try smoking one.

Female. 32 lbs. 12/31. Target of Op. while deer hunting.

photo PC310866_zpslklcgivf.jpg

By: LINK
Date:03-Jan-16

LINK's embedded Photo

I wouldn't think a blind would work very good. Your shooting lanes would be limited. Natural cover would work best. This pic is my brother and myself from yesterday. We got ten and fatally wounded another. We trailed for 30 minutes and 100 yards and several big pools of blood before we lost it. All rifle shot with either a 22-250 or a 22-243.

By: Dakota

Dakota's embedded Photo

Dakota's Supporting Link

These are from a couple hours Northwest of Rapid City.

Dakota's embedded Photo

Dakota's Supporting Link

Dakota's embedded Photo

Dakota's Supporting Link

Dakota's embedded Photo

Dakota's Supporting Link

Dakota's embedded Photo

Dakota's Supporting Link

By: smarba
Date:05-Jan-16

smarba's embedded Photo

I just began trying and it's surprisingly fun/challenging. With a bow, a remote caller set ~20 yards in front is invaluable.

Best of luck!

Carl

smarba's embedded Photo

My goal is a bobcat or lion, but I'm happy with whatever comes in.

When looking for a place to set up do you guys have a favorite terrain feature that you look for, either to set up by or something that might funnel them into a particular spot?

Also my roommate and I bot got lion tags this year and were wanting to get out a bit to try and call one in, is this doable, or is it much tougher to call them in? The black hills dont allow hunting them with dogs so was thinking calling them might be the next best option.

Date:06-Jan-16

Search online - lots of guys have called in lions. And I am only just learning, but definitely setting up where the odds of funneling them close are in your favor. You have to set up entirely differently than if you're hunting them with rifle.

If your looking to call a lion in I would definitely check out Rainshadows site - http://www.rain-shadow.com/prod03.htm . He has videos, calls and call in stories posted on there. I have learned a ton from looking at his site.

It is much harder to call them in compared to coyotes. Especially if you haven't cut a track and just calling blindly. I usually sit for at least 45 minutes to an hour if i'm trying to call them in. They like to come in from above and take any source of cover to the call. I always try to listen to the birds and squirrels too. If they see something they will scold whatever is trying to sneak in.

By: LINK

Brian if your hunting SD I would think your coyotes would be similar to our Oklahoma coyotes. The single biggest key to success is setting up and calling to uneducated coyotes. Find a spot where you know there are coyotes that hopefully haven't heard a call. If you are in a coyote heavy spot and they haven't been educated they will come. I like to sit on the upwind side of a hill, not skylined, with some brush behind me. I'm talking with a gun, with a bow you would need thick cover to hide yet draw them into an open area for a shot. Most coyotes where I live are what I call shit eaters and they make their living hanging out close to cow herds recycling leftover energy. So calling within 400-500 yards of cattle is always a good idea. Where I live if you can't see cows your probably not going to call a coyote.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.