cuda383 05-Dec-15
GF 08-Dec-15
GF 09-Dec-15
LKH 09-Dec-15
Zbone 15-Dec-15
hmaxims 15-Dec-15

Date:30-Nov-15
hmaxims's Supporting Link

Just read a very general news story about fawns in November. Even if the doe was bred in January (if there is such a late estrous) would they still be spotted? Or even if they used a general photo of a fawn unrelated to the story, would a 4 month old deer survive? A 6 month old would....

pretty common here in alabama due to late rut. Saw some 2 weeks ago

I have shot fawns with spots in North Carolina and it was late November. They were tiny as well, dressed maybe 35#s. I would say it depends where in the whitetail range. Some places have a rut that takes place in July and August I believe. Shawn

Date:01-Dec-15

Sure, I have seen 2-1/2 year old bucks with faint spots, often.

I also shot a doe with a fawn inside (fully developed) in October. Would have been born in Nov.

How'd that fawn taste Don?

By: TD

TD's embedded Photo

Yeah it happens.... clear into Feb sometimes.....

By: Grubby

I have a very small fawn, fully spotted, hanging around the house now. The dos is a big mature doe. We have a pretty low deer population here and it seems pretty odd that a doe would be bred that late. So far we are having a pretty mild winter but I think the odds of that one making it are slim.

Date:02-Dec-15

The 3rd deer I ever shot was a fawn in mid Nov. Didn't see spots until I found it. Dressed out at 38#, in CT.

Date:03-Dec-15

" Even if the doe was bred in January (if there is such a late estrous)"

Here in Missouri the bow season is open until 01/15. A few years ago on 01/16 I looked out my office window behind my house and there was the 10 ptr I had been hunting all season having his way with a doe...Right behind my house in the middle of the afternoon...Guess he had a calendar...8^)

Date:05-Dec-15

cuda383's MOBILE embedded Photo

this little guy is in NY Nov 7th. never saw one this little this late in the year before. first got it on a a trail cam on Sept 23ed.

Date:05-Dec-15

cuda383's MOBILE embedded Photo

By: GF
Date:08-Dec-15

"The 3rd deer I ever shot was a fawn in mid Nov. Didn't see spots until I found it. Dressed out at 38#, in CT."

Good thing for you that there wasn't a warden around to see 'em.... If they were real faint, you'd probably get some slack, but you know the rule here....

If it's brown, it's down, but if you see a spot... Shoot it not!

Which is kinda stupid. Politically, yeah.... When they required that deer be transported in open view, it probably wasn't good for the public perception of hunting to see spotties going through the check stations, but from a management standpoint, you can shoot all of these you want (this time of year, especially) without hurting the herd any because the expected survivorship is so low....

Of course where the population is too high, the DEEP would rather see you take the dam and let the coyotes get the fawns so there will be no births in the spring....

And FWIW, a few years ago, I saw a young doe with TWO bucks on her tail.... In Feb.

By: GF
Date:09-Dec-15

"The 3rd deer I ever shot was a fawn in mid Nov. Didn't see spots until I found it. Dressed out at 38#, in CT."

Good thing for you that there wasn't a warden around to see 'em.... If they were real faint, you'd probably get some slack, but you know the rule here....

If it's brown, it's down, but if you see a spot... Shoot it not!

Which is kinda stupid. Politically, yeah.... When they required that deer be transported in open view, it probably wasn't good for the public perception of hunting to see spotties going through the check stations, but from a management standpoint, you can shoot all of these you want (this time of year, especially) without hurting the herd any because the expected survivorship is so low....

Of course where the population is too high, the DEEP would rather see you take the dam and let the coyotes get the fawns so there will be no births in the spring....

And FWIW, a few years ago, I saw a young doe with TWO bucks on her tail.... In Feb.

By: LKH
Date:09-Dec-15

Years ago mom shot a spotted fawn in November by Int'l Falls, MN. Boned it and all the meat fit in a plastic bread sack. Never would have made it thru the winter.

We keep thinking of the rut as a well defined period when actually it is a bell curve with a few individuals far from the peak. I think it's something that may help the species survive adverse conditions that can occur at different times. Late born fawns may be born after a severe spring storm and have a decent chance of making the winter.

By: Zbone
Date:15-Dec-15

Bringing to the top for cross reference to the "When Doe Fawns Breed, It's a good sign!" thread...

Date:15-Dec-15

Just read the article posted on does breeding. Thanks!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.