Genesis 03-Dec-15
Cazador 03-Dec-15
Woods Walker 03-Dec-15
Rutin uck 03-Dec-15
bumpinblaze4x4 03-Dec-15
Old School 03-Dec-15
zipper 03-Dec-15

Date:27-Nov-15

Please share what you have personally witnessed and learned over the years of hunting whitetails. It can be anything and any topic. Think hard about what you could share to benefit all of us.

I will start: 1. Sure we all know of the pine squirrels going nuts over a buck or predator but do you know how many times I have had a flock of crows going nuts over deer in the morning hour hunts.

2. Dont overhunt your land or spot in early and mid October. ...I know from expierence!

3. Deer dont care about guns blazing. I duck hunt the same land I hunt and they dont seem to care. Also outside of public land the gun season doesnt seem to bother them....private land!

4. When hunting late season its amazing what 2 pair of socks and a set of hand warmers will do to help stay warm in the stand. Sure its about layers but when I hunt in the cold without the extra socks on or hand warmers I am always much colder regardless of how much clothing I have on.

5. Always make sure you know that all the deer in view are not looking at you when lifting your bow off the hook....this mistake cost me the biggest buck I have ever seen in the wild at 18 yards. A doe that came in I took my eyes off of to look at the buck and grab my bow. Yeah, she saw me and boy did they blow out of there!

Theres much more I can add but I really want to hear from you guys! Remember it can be anything: secrets, tips, how to, mistakes, etc.

Look 360 degrees BEFORE you rattle!

Be prepared for disappointment and heartache more often than the thrill of success.

I used to think that as I got more experienced at deer hunting, it would get easier. It doesn't. I do kill more deer now, but I still get busted by a fawn every now and then and I feel like an amateur. I've just come to accept the fact that more often than not I'm going to look like a fool. Their senses are so amazing.

Herdmanager, great point! I am in that boat now. Bowhunting for 8 years and I think it will only get easier and I will kill more and more deer....I have learned a ton BUT yeah its still tough harvesting a single deer. Their senses are amazing indeed!!!

The best way to the stand is seldom the easiest. You want to get there from a direction you don't expect deer to be in.

Always look in the direction you do not expect deer to come from .....often.

Take the time to enjoy all of the creatures in the woods as you wait for your deer. It is educational and relieves boredom.

Know your maximum range and cut it in half rather than stretching your limits.

Enjoy your hunt, the kill is a bonus.

There is no way to beat a deers nose except by hunting the right wind, things help and but nothing is 100%. Hunt whenever you can cause you cannot kill them sitting on the couch. My biggest piece of advice to beginners is shoot every deer you legally can and don't hold out for just big bucks, experience can only be gained by shooting and killing deer after you have 30-40 deer under your belt than you can start being choosy! Shawn

Don't expect a mature buck to come in where you expect.

Practice twisted around, or opposite of the direction you used to.

By: zipper

You don't need to carry a pee bottle while hunting deer. Unzip and let her rip. It won't spook them.

Not only have I learned how deer use land features to travel. But after hunting the same property now for 6 years I have learned how they travel on that property.

Take for example. On stand is in a pinch point between two big blocks if woods. Sure I seen deer movement through there. But after decoying that tree for so many years I changed there travel routes. No more decoy in that tree.

I have learned how terrain features will change wind currents. It can be a subtle thing like a river that changes it.

A few years ago I started using colored smoke bombs when I did my pre-season scounting on ground that I'd been hunting for over a decade. I ground hunt and I thought I had the air patterns on that place down pat. Was I ever wrong!!!!

I have learned a lot about those wind patterns under different wind and barometric conditions using those smoke bombs.

Date:28-Nov-15

Just a couple that others might not mention.

1-Deer pattern you far quicker than you pattern them. 2-Deer are not as smart as we think they are. 3-When hunting public land, the best stand is often within sight of the truck. Most hunters walk past more deer than they will see and deer quickly learn, few hunters are within sight of the road.

4- MOST IMPORTANTLY-Marry a woman with good job and high toelrance. 5- MOST IMPORTANTLY #2- Learn how to scout. 80% of the deer hunters I have met, really have no idea what to look for when scouting and even less idea how to pick the exactly right tree to climb.

By: cnelk

A 'quality' buck on public land varies with each individual. Shoot the buck for YOU

Deer will always show up on the wrong side of your tree stand, regardless how you position it.

The season ain't over when it's over...do more off season scouting. If you are lucky enough to know a pilot, fly over yout hunting spots during the spring melt. Packed trails are the last to melt and stick out like a beacon from the air.

Dont pick up your bow until Oct. 28th! lol The big boys are just starting to think about coming out to play.

1. A mature Doe can be more difficult than a big buck when you have to earn a buck tag. 2. Milkweed seed pods are the best wind indicators. 3. There are no short cuts. 4. Hunting shows on TV are not real hunting and are for entertainment purposes only.

The season ain't over when it's over...do more off season scouting. If you are lucky enough to know a pilot, fly over yout hunting spots during the spring melt. Packed trails are the last to melt and stick out like a beacon from the air.

Pay attention to tiny details and be analytical about what you learn. Put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. Strive to understand not just what the deer are doing, but why.

X2 Jaq. Hunting is a journey/learning process, not a destination. NOTHING happens in the wild by chance. There's a reason for everything, and everything is connected. Some of it's obvious and some of it's subtle, and its' the subtle things that many times teach you the most.

Here's a treestand hunting tip I learned about many years ago.....

I always carry a compass, even if I'm hunting within sight of a house. When I take a shot, I take a compass bearing on where I last saw the deer BEFORE I climb out of the tree. When I do get out of the tree then I stand at the same side of the tree from where I took the shot and then use the compass to take me to the spot where I last saw the animal to start looking for sign. The cover many times looks a lot different when you are on the ground from when you were in the tree and this helps a lot to orient you.

By: Boone

So much good advice on here. Wish we had a like button. 1. When the pressure is on you, just remember that you put it there and only you can remove it. Have fun and the success will come. 2. Scout more and hunt less. 3. live by the wind

Most of us tend to over analyze deer hunting. It's really quite simple as far as the deer go. They are concerned with what they are going to eat, what's going to eat them, and who they are having sex with. That about covers it. If you approach hunting them with these three things in mind it makes it a whole lot simpler.

Oh...and to reinforce this there's one more point...

DEER CAN'T READ OR TELL TIME, so they really don't have a clue as to all these things that are written about that they are "supposed" to do and when. So whenever you hear the terms "always" and "never" associated with deer hunting, you can generally dismiss it out of hand.

If you find a hunting item that you really need/want/like, buy at least TWO of them, because as sure as the sun comes up in the morning in a year from now it'll be discontinued!

Use a wet wipe on your face, hands, then butt. In that order!!!

Use a wet wipe on your face, hands, then butt. In that order!!!

That is going to be in one of my future columns for sure. No more writing about red and white corncobs.

Bow writer unintentionally gave good advice. Watch what 80% of the hunters do to prepare for the hunt then approach differently. Did you even notice how newbies who go about it all wrong often take trophies.

Forget the gimmicks and new gadgets. Work on being a woodsman not a gear-bo. Spend time in the woods always paying attention to how wind interacts with terrain. Use snow to learn how deer use a property. Each hunt is a new one and it only takes a second to change your season. It's a process, it's pain, ups and downs. Be Relentless. Set a goal and go do it ! It never gets easier. Have fun !!!

If you want to shoot big bucks you have to hunt where they live. No amount of practice and scouting and stand time will make big bucks come by your stand if the property you hunt doesn't hold big bucks.

By: jfish

1. A small or young lone deer in the fall will more often than not be a button (9 out of 10 times)guaranteed.

2. Just because dogs have run through, the farmer starts his tractor or someone is running a chain saw on the next ridge, the hunt aint over....

3. No matter how good you think the hit was, if he is still walking shoot again!

always have a grunt tube with you... Stay relaxed for the shot, don't look at the rack, and realize one simple undeniable fact - if a deer is downwind of you whether it be 5 yards or 500 yards, most likely, they will wind you. If you beat that fact into your brain, and set up accordingly, you will kill more deer. That being said, the best wind direction is one it's just a little better for you than it is for them, but not by much. If it's 100% in your favor, and zero percent in theirs, not as good, because mature deer rarely walk directly downwind. They usually have it on their nose to some degree. Use the landscape plus wind direction to plan your attack.

The best way to learn your area and the deer travel patterns is to shed hunt as soon as the snow (up north) begins to melt - you will locate rubs and scrapes. I have found areas that have a lot of trees in a small area that are totally shredded - the bucks core area.

Clear a path to your stand, if possible - I have gone as far as using an old lawn mower and mow a path (private land obviously).

Wear rubber boots and spray them with some kind of scent eliminator - I use scent shield (no affiliation what-so-ever). I spray my boots and my pant legs and don't touch anything with your hands.

Hunt "bottle necks" and "edges".

If you shoot a big buck from an area - normally another big one will take it's place in short order.

When walking in noisy leaves or dry grasses - walk Heel-toe, heal-toe very "matter of fact" it's amazing how much you will sound just like a deer.

"Plan on gut shots and shoulder blade shots. Gear up for them. Heavy arrow and coc broadhead shoulder blades and large heads(1 1/2")or better for guts. "

100% disagree. Please ignore that. Practice like you hunt. If elevated - practice same. Bend at the waist. Understand angles. Visualize your exit hole, shoot through your target to your exit hole . Study anatomy. Shoot accurate heads, that penetrate well. If it's cold out, practice with your cold weather gear, while you are cold. There is no excuse for not preparing, but if you plan to fail as someone just suggested, you will fail. Study this diagram, and intersect the green dot regardless of angle. Hitting the hams, the guts, the shoulder - not acceptable so don't plan for it. Plan and practice for a double lung or top of heart hit, with precision and 100% confidence.

Jack Harris's embedded Photo

this diagram

To expand on that last post, use the "far" front leg as your angle guide. I aim to hit that far side leg on angle shots.

Study that anatomy chart...notice the bone structure, especially the shoulder. I think some guys hold too far back by not realizing the real structure and toy with the liver/paunch area.

Tuck that bad boy in there. I switched to the Grizzly 2 blade single bevel head outa my recurve for contingency reasons...it does some serious damage on bone should such an encounter arise.

Read Dr Ed Ashby's studies on it...a real eye opener.

So Jack, I guess you're not advocating "Bighurt's" famous hamblaster shot, either?

;-)

On the walk in and walk out, on the way up your ladder and down, pulling up the rope and lowering your bow, WEAR A PLASTIC GLOVE, like a doctors exam glove but easily found in any hardware store these days by the box. They are cheap and disposable and keep a lot of scent from being deposited right where you don't want it.

Date:29-Nov-15

1. Keep a bottle of original Listerine mouth wash in your truck and gargle for solid minute before heading out to stand; majority of human scent comes from your breath.

2. Have a spool of white tread handy in backpack and tie 12" piece to nearest branche for windcater. Works excellent.

3. Keep movements in stand to a bare minimum at all times and when moving, move like you are being watched.

Really good tips. Keep them coming. Always learning on this site.

By: carcus

Haul my bow up into the tree ASAP, been caught up in the tree with my bow on the ground once, that will never happen again, shot my buck last year 30 seconds after i climbed up, cold weather camo strapped to my pack, not even a hat on! They hear you walking and come in to investigate

An arrow that has just passed through a deer's ribcage can sometimes become amazingly clean after traveling through off-side tissue and hair, thick leaves, weeds, brush, dirt...enough to make you believe you had a very marginal hit, when in fact it was a lethal hit.

Also, a broadhead can 'nick' a major blood vessel, causing certain death soon thereafter, without leaving much blood at all on the arrow that passed through the deer.

A broadhead and arrow covered with stomach contents may have gotten that way AFTER passing through lungs or liver, giving the impression you hit gut only.

A Rage, or other very wide head can pass through a deer's heart and lungs, even with a low exit wound and STILL NOT LEAVE A GOOD BLOOD TRAIL, and despite the 2 inch hole through its heart/lungs, the deer may still travel 80 yards!

All four of these scenarios are not the 'norm' but they do happen, if they happened to me they can happen to you, and the bottom line is to not assume your deer cannot be recovered until you have done an exhaustive, lengthy search.

And pass up the 'iffy' shots, unless you want to spend the rest of the day potentially looking for a deer you will never find.

Learn the lessons the deer are teaching. If you find sign, or see deer using trails or traveling in areas you weren't expecting because that's not where the magazine articles or TV shows say they should be, get in there and hunt. There's a reason the deer are using those areas. It's great if you can figure out why, but even if you can't, the deer have their reasons. Take advantage of that.

Hunt the area with the right wind, figure out the best way in and out of the area, and shoot 'em.

I second the idea of pulling your bow up to your stand as soon as you've secured yourself to the tree. I've had to watch deer walk past me right after climbing into a tree for an afternoon hunt, because my bow is still hanging just above the ground. Good Hunting.

Carry a pee bottle because the old does will bust you every time, and use fixed blades

For you treestand guys, wear a lifeline every time you climb so that you'll be able to hunt the following year and your family will have you around after the hunt. Public land bucks smell people constantly so I worry more about movement then scent. If you hunt crop fields on public land know that a lot of times the deer will travel through the middle of the field rather then the edges.

Here's another one for bowriter. He has my permission to put it in his column.....

When in a deer camp, never EVER take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time. It will not end well.

By: DC

I shot a bent arrow at a deer and it did not turn out well. The arrow went haywire and missed. 1. Spin check your arrows often.

I missed another deer years ago, only to find out my pin sight was bent and off target. 2. Check your equipment often and shoot throughout the season.

I laid my bow on the ground beside my truck as I was packing to leave and realized it was missing after a two hour drive home from a hunt. 3. Always do a walk around your truck to make sure you didn't leave or drop something on the ground.

I have cut off my underwear on more than one occasion and went commando. 4. Always carry toilet paper for obvious reasons and it helps tremendously when marking a blood trail.

I fell out of a tree. I spent all night looking for a hunting partner that was lost in the woods. I had to carry my Dad out of the woods after an injury that left him unable to walk out on his own. I stopped a major artery from bleeding and helped safe a life. I managed to get unstuck in what seemed like a hopeless case in my truck. I fought off a highly pissed off wounded bobcat and survived. I fell in a creek over my head, in the middle of the night, in the freezing cold and I knew what to do afterwards. I'm sure there's more and you probably have a couple yourself. 5. Stay Safe. Learn First Aid and tell someone where you will be.

HUNT MAN's MOBILE embedded Photo

That some days it just all comes together !

"That some days it just all comes together !"

And, some days it don't !!!

Don't give up till the season is over!

Try to set up your stands so if deer get past you or you want them to pass you, they will not wind you.

I hunt public land very often, spend time scouting, no time out there is a waste of time, go out with the intent of learning something new and you will.

More often than not my stand locations almost always end up where two or more habitat types come together, pay attention to transitions in the woods.

Don't let hunting control your life, no one will remember you for your hunting, be remembered as a great person who liked to hunt.

I spent a good part of my life pushing the envelope when it came to hunting, there was just as much failure as success fighting life to be out there. I made many mistakes and poor decisions while hunting because my mind was not there a 100 percent. Bottom line, don't go unless you I's are dotted and your T's crossed. You will enjoy your time far more rather than sitting there thinking about what you should be doing!

Cherish your time alone, cherish your times with friends and family while hunting. Take lots of pictures, life will clutter your mind with things not as important to you.

As much as it gets in the way, and is one more thing to have with you, wear a safety harness, your loved ones may not even be aware but you owe it to them, don't be a statistic.

Treat every hunt like it's your last, enjoy it, and always have fun!!

Date:30-Nov-15

Keep a journal, learn from our mistakes and successes.

Anticipate where the intended target will be/is going to be, and move into position when the time is right. It isn't always easy. It's been said but beware of other sets of eyes and don't look at the rack after you determine you want to kill something.

The woods have taught me a bunch of lessons over the years.

Earlier Jack said to practice like you hunt, shooting from treestands if you hunt elevated. I take this a bit further when possible, I actually try shooting from the stand I’ll hunt from (at least once) to ensure my shooting lanes are as clear as possible. (This isn’t always possible on public land, I know but I haven’t hunted public land since I was a pup.)

Inspect my equipment before leaving the house/camp and again before leaving the vehicle. It could save you the embarrassment of leaving a release, or even your arrows behind. (Happened to an old friend several years ago – he had the buck of a lifetime spend 20 minutes in front of him and was unable to shoot – his arrows were in his truck. He got great pics though.)

In addition to snacks, something to read, water, I always carry a backup release, extra batteries for the flashlight and GPS and a note pad. The pad is to jot down the direction the deer took off in when I shot it so I’m sure to remember it when I get down from the stand 20 minutes later.

In addition to carrying a bit of TP, I learned to carry a roll of white and yellow crepe paper with me to the woods for tracking (it’s small, compresses easy and is easily seen.)

Years ago I learned that Jays and Crows are my friend when tracking a deer (or any animal) during the day – they seem to sound an ‘Intruder Alarm’ when something looks out of place, like a dead deer. I learned that insects (ants, spiders etc) can help you get back on a track that’s been temporarily lost because they will feed on blood left along the trail especially during dry conditions. This has helped me get back on a trail more than once during evening or night tracking jobs.

After tracking many animals ‘UP HILLS’, I also learned the tale that mortally wounded deer won’t travel uphill is a bunch of hogwash.

I also learned that having a wife who shares the bowhunting passion as much as I do (sometimes even more) makes time spent in a treestand, ground blind or camp much more meaningful.

This happened a couple weeks ago. I missed a 15 yard on the ground shot at a quartering away book buck cause I didn't properly clear a shooting lane and I had a deflection off some dinky stuff. Ouch, that bites! I learned. That won't happen again.

By: AndyJ

Eventually you are going to get hopelessly busted walking to or from a stand/blind/hide. Don't try to hide if the jig is up. Sometimes the best thing to do is start talking at normal volume or loud and walk like you have some place to go. Deer see farmers and hikers a lot. If they perceive you as a not a threat, most of the time they will either watch you walk by or half heartedly run off, but they won't spook like they would if they knew you were a predator.

By: DC

milnrick, After tracking many animals ‘UP HILLS’, I also learned the tale that mortally wounded deer won’t travel uphill is a bunch of hogwash.

I wish you would tell that to the deer I shoot. They all run to the deepest bottom they can find before dying. LOL

By: t-roy

Always remember to enjoy any and all aspects of the hunt.

You're the one that chose to be there!

Date:01-Dec-15

Enjoy all aspects of hunting without the emphasis on the harvest. Become content with being a woodsman who appreciates just living long enough to share the beauty of the woods with friends and family. The more I find peace and tranquility in the timber the more I partake and share fresh venison.

Date:01-Dec-15

This may seem simple and obvious but... You will never get a shot unless you have an arrow on the string, and you will never bag an animal unless you have your bow drawn back.

Date:02-Dec-15

If you value your eyes, wear safety glasses while going to, or from your stand in the dark. You can't shoot if you can't see. Sticks, twigs and branches seem to grow at head level.

Pull up your pull up rope. Hanging there under you is like a scent wick, with your scent on it.

Check your tree stand cables and straps regularly. Cables rust and squirrels chew.

Date:03-Dec-15

Location, location, and location!

Do not burn out a good stand on a bad day.

Wait for optimal conditions if possible if you have a truly great stand on an exceptional buck.

Movement in the stand is more critical than most will ever imagine.

Typically when a big buck decides to come he is coming so get your bow ready for the shot.

Do not take a bad shot on on a any deer but especially a big deer. It will haunt you in ways far worse than letting walk. I have passed two shots in three years at giants because of a narrow window and a poor angle. I can live with those decisions but cannot imagine the torture of knowing those magnificent animals rotted in some briar patch.

X2 Matt Rehor, Try to set up your stands so if deer get past you or you want them to pass you, they will not wind you.

You cannot wait too long to take up the trail.

Spend more time shooting animals if at all possible. I waste lots of money on arrows shooting pigs but I think it is invaluable practice.

The biggest buck does not always equate to the most rewarding hunt.

Success is your not someone elses...

To add to one of Woods Walker's tips above about using a compass to get a bearing after you hit a deer.

A lot of times when you get down out of a tree things look different from the ground. After you hit a deer and it runs off you can use your compass to get a bearing to the last spot you saw the deer and you can also use your rangefinder to shoot the distance to the spot. Most GPS's have a feature where you can project a waypoint from where you're at. You can use the bearing and distance that you measured and create a waypoint where you last saw the deer. It might help in finding the spot once you get down out of the tree. Just be aware of GPS accuracies and make sure to let your GPS run long enough to get an accurate position fix before you project the waypoint.

Something else I've learned over the years...

No matter how much time you spend with your girlfriend before hunting season and how much you try to prepare her, she's still going to get upset and complain that hunting season is too long and you hunt too much...

Right on Cheesehead but be assured after 40 years she will help you pack and enjoy her quiet time while you're gone:) Great thread! Always get some good thoughts from you guys!

Whenever I set up a new stand I trim the obvious lanes but after multiple encounters and viewing of deer coming and going I hone every shooting lane. I have got quite a few deer because I am a fanatic about clearing shooting lanes. If you can't shoot a deer under 20 yards because it is in brush you have failed needlessly. Take your time triming an area as the deer OFTEN come and go in areas you don't anticipate.

There are stands and places where you can kill deer easier based on the time of season and there are many stands that are just stands. I want killing stands not viewing stands. Can't wait until late season! C

By: Bake

I like Charlie's point about clearing lanes. I'm probably too obsessive about clearing lanes. I often feel like I build a clearing in the middle of the woods with all that I clear :)

Empty out a nasal spray bottle and fill it with vegetable or olive oil and keep in your pack. . . perfect for squeaky tree stands.

Change the battery to your rangefinder before the season starts. Ranging an animal is a bad time for that battery to fail

As I get fatter, I find myself hanging stands lower, and I like to look for multi-trunked trees for concealment (and I'm more comfortable having another tree trunk to lean on, brace on)

And to Cheesehead Mike's point. . . a dozen roses of appreciation goes a long ways in November :) I also shamelessly suck-up and am more helpful with laundry and dishes and all that other crap I hate during the month of November :)

Bake

By: lewis

Great thread x2 what mil said my wife is my greatest hunting buddy totally thankful for that.one of the best ways to mess up a good hunt is to kill something.(not really)Lewis

The single biggest mistake made every year is not packing a lunch for midday.Treestand hunt like you would hunt most other species whether you choose to sit a stand or scout.

You will be surprised how physical (an productive) a whitetail hunt can be....

Stop being a "Beta" and start being an "Alpha". Save your "Rose Money" and by her some laundry soap or maybe some "dude pads".

Good stuff!

"dude pads".

????????? I know I'll probably regret this, but WTH are dude pads?

Deer hunting is not a competition with your buddies for the biggest buck or a repetation to uphold as a big buck killer. It's a game of wits between you and your targeted animal. Keep that in perspective and you will never feel stressed or pressured to deliver.

Rutin: that is a perfect quote and something I need to keep in mind when things get too serious. I'm gonna write ir down. If You don't mind.

When a deer is approaching and you are in a stand, position your feet correctly before you stand up (where is the expected shot going to occur) - you will make less movement than you will if you stand first and then get in position.

Later in the bow season as you put on more clothing to keep warm, practice with all your warm clothing on. Especially if you put on gloves make sure to continue to practice to keep sharp thoughout the late season.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.