What size, make, features, plot tractor?
Tractors, ATVs, & Attachments
Messages posted to thread:
PSUhoss 04-Oct-15
carcus 05-Oct-15
Genesis 05-Oct-15
maravia14x24 05-Oct-15
4araquiver 05-Oct-15
olebuck 05-Oct-15
Ollie 05-Oct-15
walks with a gimp 05-Oct-15
M.Pauls 05-Oct-15
jrhurn 05-Oct-15
Vonfoust 05-Oct-15
PSUhoss 05-Oct-15
AndyJ 05-Oct-15
jdee 05-Oct-15
jdee 05-Oct-15
drycreek 05-Oct-15
woodguy65 05-Oct-15
Genesis 06-Oct-15
brian 06-Oct-15
bfisherman11 06-Oct-15
MQ1 06-Oct-15
AndyJ 07-Oct-15
cityhunter 07-Oct-15
flyingbrass 09-Oct-15
CAS_HNTR 09-Oct-15
Mark Watkins 09-Oct-15
flyingbrass 09-Oct-15
flyingbrass 09-Oct-15
flyingbrass 09-Oct-15
KY EyeBow 09-Oct-15
wildan 09-Oct-15
bfisherman11 09-Oct-15
Mike-TN 09-Oct-15
Mike-TN 09-Oct-15
Swampbuck 09-Oct-15
Swampbuck 09-Oct-15
PSUhoss 09-Oct-15
JLBSparks 09-Oct-15
Swampbuck 09-Oct-15
Whip 10-Oct-15
Whip 10-Oct-15
bfisherman11 14-Oct-15
stonecold 14-Oct-15

Date:04-Oct-15

I recently sold my skid steer and am looking to replace it with a more versatile tractor. I tried using the skid steer for food plots and it just doesn't do everything that I wanted.

Currently I have just scratched the surface in looking at the different brands and implements. There are kubota, mahindra, and kioti dealers all within 15 miles or so of my house.

The tractor would primarily be used around our house (4 acres) and over at our camp (180) acres for food plots and snow removal.

I am thinking something in the 35hp range, but really have no idea. Would like to pull a plow, use a front loader, brush hog, rototiller, belly mower, manure spreader, pallet forks, etc. Some of the other questions are in regard to hydrostatic, shuttle shift, apparently new emissions regulations, backhoe....so many choices it makes my head spin.

Any input, thoughts, or ownership recommendations would be appreciated. Not really in a hurry, so I want to be sure and make the right choice.

Thanks!

By: carcus
Date:05-Oct-15

My neighbor had a 40 hp mahindra, its 2 years old, he was fixing his brush cutter yesterday and complaining how the mahindra implements are junk, he has also had issues with the tractor this summer, it died on him in the middle of the bush. After seeing this I would buy the kubota,

Deere is also trying to get competitive in this size as well,I own a Kubota and like it

i run a 9620t for tilling. and a 7200R for seeding and spraying.

but then i have more acreage to deal with than most.

i like green!

Look at the deere 3038E great functioning tractor. It's hydrostatic. The only thing missing on this tractor is the mid PTO if you wanted a belly mower deck. It has 38 horse power. I think you would want hydrostatic for tight quarters and yard jobs. Ku boys makes a fine tractor as well I do not think you would go wrong there. As far as implements I am a fan of land pride implements if you can find them in your area.

He have a New Holland 50 HP with the taller AG tires.

it does a really good job for food plots - which is its main purpose.

I wouldn't go any lower than a 40 HP

I would definatly get 4x4 and front end loader.

a 50 hp will pull 6' wide implements well and it make a big difference with the extra weight - just does a better job.

one thing I strongly recommend is getting a hydraulic draw bar, and a quick hitch - this make hooking up 3point equipment a breeze - you don't even have to get off the tractor to hook up, or unhook - unless you have to hook up the PTO shaft.

By: Ollie

My Mahindra Max 28 HP does just fine. It pulls a 6' brush cutter and 6' rotary tiller. If I was doing it over, I would opt for a 35-40 hp model. Suggest buying from a nearby dealer who can also service your tractor when needed.

What is your price range? Older JD's like the 3010 or 3020 are excellent tractors that parts are still available for.

I bought a Kubota MX5100 for our hobby farm. Like Pat says try and stretch it to 50 if you can. My reason for going 50 was so I could run a round baler, do some descent field work and mainly so I could lift a round bale with the loader. I unloaded some pallets at 2200 lbs of bear bait off a semi trailer this spring unbelievably. I was shocked. Of course the machine has run flawlessly. Remember when stretching your budget here that these machines hardly depreciate, which always affects my decision as the tractor for me is basically equity. I do a lot of loader type work so I went hydrostatic which for that type of work is hard to beat!! And don't consider 2WD

By: jrhurn

I'm looking at the branson line of tractors now. Really liking the 5220 (52hp) and the standard features on them.

We run an older 57 hp Mahindra. It just doesn't have the extras, like bucket and aux hydraulics.

James

How far from each other are home and camp? Do you have an adequate way of getting the tractor to each place? We had a big old tractor for awhile, but without a trailer/tow vehicle to handle it it got left in the woods quite a bit. Every time we needed to use it, the critters had eaten something. We are now smaller (30hp) but can assure it's going to run each time before we leave the house.

Thanks for all of the great information. Answers to some of the questions that have been asked:

I would keep the tractor in my garage here at the house most of the time. It might sit outside for a few weeks at a time at camp which is about 3 miles down a well maintained dirt township road.

I haven't given the bigger (50 hp) tractors much thought as about 75% of the time it would be used at my house planting trees, hauling debris, cleaning ditches, turning compost, clearing trees, etc. My concern was that a 50 might just be too big for the house taks.

I would like to keep the purchase to around 20k. If I had to go over and it was justified, I would do so.

Just the other day I looked at a kubota 3350. Looked like a nice size machine for the house, but possibly too small for the camp/food plots.

Maybe there is no middle ground?

Thanks again for the info guys, it is appreciated.

By: AndyJ

I have a L4600 Kubota for a 35 acre "farm". I compared between JD and Kubota and went with the Kubota because they have a great reputation and I could get way more tractor for the money. My family always had big JD tractors and the compact tractors are not the same. The new JD tractors aren't the tractors they used to be. However, JD still makes a great tractor. You won't go wrong with either.

As far as size: Get the most horse power you can afford. You might be surprised by what you CAN'T do with a 45 hp tractor. The more horse power you have, the more comfortably you will be able to use all the different implements.

Also, tractors get abused almost by job description, try to find a tractor you like with a dealer that is within a tolerable drive.

As has already be said, if you have a fairly dry, dead flat, plot, 2wd might work and you will find them much cheaper than 4wd. However, you should do what you can to get 4wd, when using implements on hilly ground, 4wd is REALLY nice.

Keep your eye peeled for promos. Tractor companies have some great deals. I got my Kubota 0 down 0% interest for 5 years.

By: jdee

50 HP is the lowest I would go. You can back out of the throttle but you can never make it go more with out more Horse Power. I used my friends 32 HP tractor with a brush hog and loader on it and when I turned to go up hill I had to back off the throttle and let the rpm's catch back up. 4052M 51HP John Deere will get it done ! Then again YOU might not need the 50 HP but it is really nice to have it if you do need it.

By: jdee

50 HP is the lowest I would go. You can back out of the throttle but you can never make it go more with out more Horse Power. I used my friends 32 HP tractor with a brush hog and loader on it and when I turned to go up hill I had to back off the throttle and let the rpm's catch back up. 4052M 51HP John Deere will get it done ! Then again YOU might not need the 50 HP but it is really nice to have it if you do need it.

I have a Kubota M5700. It's 57 hp and I till and plant about 10 ac. of food plots every year. I also mow about 25 or 30 ac. several times a year, mostly food plots, rights of way, and trails. I've had this tractor since 2004 and have put two lift cables and one clutch cable on it, and I work it. Anything I can ride down, I mow. It's been a very good tractor.

Things I will do differently on my next one : Front wheel assist ( a must if you get a loader ). A loader ( didn't get one originally because I have a JD 310 backhoe ), it's just too handy not to have. A little more horsepower. Kubota makes a 66hp machine that weighs in about the same as mine. My dealer sucks, so I'll go elsewhere next time. Lots of Kubota dealers in my area.

Really think about your horsepower, as said above, if you ain't got it, you can't use it.

I've had both Kubota and JD (currently JD). I made the switch based on service. They are both quality tractors. If you have a JD dealer within 30 miles then buy either JD or Kubota which ever you can get the best used deal - if not go with the Kubota.

Nobody has mentioned tires, your choice - AG, Turf, R-4 industrial. Which ones are you going with??

If 75% of the time it will be at your house you may want to go with turf, especially if using to mow - you will certainly want to avoid the AG, they will tear up your lawn every time you turn, or really leave marks if its wet at all.

However, the turf won't perform near as well on your farm if at all steep, wet or bogged down by pulling implement. Also the 4WD won't be as useful with the turf.

There is a hybrid - the R-4's are supposed to be somewhere in between. I have those on my tractor and I too live on 5 acres, however I don't mow with it, and they would still tear up the yard under certain conditions - this time of year no problem.

I have a 4720 JD 4wd with loader. I also put wheel weights on it and filled the tires. I do a lot of end loader work (on my hunting property), and by adding the weight to the rear I can lift more weight with the loader making it safer and maximizing the power.

You very well may be better off going with the 30 plus HP smaller tractor - again, if 75% of the time its used on 4 acres. My neighbor has a small 20hp Kubota and it is waaaay handier around this small acreage than my 4720 (which is over 50hp).

Just simply match up the implement to the size of tractor, it just means you go slower take longer and your "wake" is smaller. But you can do everything on your big farm that you would do with a 50hp.

Date:06-Oct-15

As always....get 4WD and AG tires.Do not let them put industrial tires on you.They look sexy on the lot but that is all.....

By: brian

John Deere, Case, Kubota are the three I would look at. Initial cost is more but decreased depreciation and repair work over time will cover any difference in initial cost of other tractors. Having used all different brands over the last 20 years from 5 acres to 5,000 acres - there is no comparison. 30 hp is minimum to 50 hp. Tire swaps are expensive on tractors - research type of tire before hand. If a person has time and patience, 20K can get a guy quite a bit of tractor.

I started with a 1941 Ford 9N. Ran that for 15 years and just this year bought an LS G3033 4wd. It has a quick connect bucket and power steering. With the 9N as trade I think I paid about 16K for the LS. That included loading the tires with fluid and delivery. Dealer is only about 25 miles away.

Thought I was really going to miss the old 9N. I loved that tractor but the LS has already done so much work above and beyond what the 9N could ever do.

Implements I already had were a 5' brush hog, 2 bottom plow, 5' disc and a 5' back blade. All fit the LS just fine. I did also recent buy a 12" auger/post hole digger (price was right).

Tractors are just cool. Ha

Bill

By: MQ1

JD 5205 4WD with a 521 loader.

By: AndyJ
Date:07-Oct-15

One more thing to consider is ease of attaching implements. There are some good systems that attach and detract easily with one person and some that will make you want to use a sledge hammer.

Also, when I was looking at tractors I would occasionally find some great deals on JD tractors. I asked a family friend who happens to be a JD mechanic about the models and he said JD has a few lemon models out there. Most of their models will last several lifetimes but they have been around long enough the have some bad ones.

Finally, if you go with a standard transmission you will be able to save thousands. I like the rpm/speed control I can get with a standard, but hydrostatic is all the rage even though standard is really easy to operate.

Date:07-Oct-15

Id go 40 to 50 hp for small farms if u own several hundred acres id even go bigger esp if u want to convert old pastures to plots,

Date:09-Oct-15

I got a 23 hp Kubota. Its a L2350 with a 4 foot disc and 4 foot bush hog. It's 4x4 which is important. I could make food plots for the whole world with this thing. I paid $6000 for the tractor and bought implements separate.

I think one other thing to consider is soil type you are working......you could likely start a nice plot with a garden rake where my in-laws live in the FL panhandle due to the super sandy soil....if you have heavy clay, you better get some horsepower as they are not easy to pull stuff through.

I started with a 20HP Ford diesel...that I still have for mowing clover plots. Made a migration to...

I have a 42 HP Kubota....a workhorse that I can get a lot done with.

Go at least this big....and make sure you have a cab. I love the fresh air but in the spring and early summer the mosquitos and deer flies would pick me up and drop me someplace in the tamarac swamps if I didn't have it.

And having the AC and music isn't bad either.

Mark

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/flyingbrass/media/kubota_zps1dl6ekou.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/flyingbrass/kubota_zps1dl6ekou.jpg[/IMG][/URL] This 23 HP tractor is plenty. Most deer hunters couldn't afford the seed and fertilizer to fully utilize a tractor this size.

my first tractor was a 2wd yanmar YM2000. me and a buddy paid $2300 for it and got a disc and a bush hog for another $700 so we had $1500 each. He finally lost interest 10 years later so I bought him out and upgraded the 2wd tractor to the 4wd kubota. Sorry i didn't get my posts all together. 4wd is much better but we got by with the 2wd for years.

flyingbrass's embedded Photo

sometimes bigger is better but not always. smaller tractor is easier to haul. also easier to get between trees also.

I have a New Holland TN 70 2wd, with a front end loader. Small enough to maneuver fairly easily but big enough to do most anything you'd want. I just use it at our farm for bush hogging/food plots, so it might be a bit big at home... You can get alot of tractor for the dollar if you are willing to buy at used/auction, otherwise it will hurt your pocketbook!!

By: wildan

Do some reading on www.tractorbynet.com ,lots of good info there. We run Kubota tractors and have good luck with them. Currently have 30HP,35HP,44HP. As stated match the implements to the tractor. 4WD,with R1(Ag) tires and front end loaders. We run two bottom plows and roto-tillers for food plot work.

bfisherman11's embedded Photo

Hey, If we are showing tractors here is my food plot machine.

For less than 10 acres of food plots And your budget I would go with 30 hp reputable manufacturer but it must be 4wd and have front end loader. For food plotting those two things are as important or more so than HP of the tractor

For less than 10 acres of food plots And your budget I would go with 30 hp reputable manufacturer but it must be 4wd and have front end loader. For food plotting those two things are as important or more so than HP of the tractor

Swampbuck's embedded Photo

If you're mainly going to use it around the homestead I would go a medium sized tractor 30-50 hp 4x4 with a loader. Property size makes a lot of difference in what size you need. I wouldn't get Ag tires if you have a manicured lawn, they will tear it up (bahia grass not so much). You can do a lot with medium size tractor, I have a Kubota 2550 (30hp-25pto) it's a great machine for the smaller chores. My John Deere 5525 (92hp-78pto) is for everything else. What ever you choose make sure it has a loader!

Swampbuck's embedded Photo

Thanks for all of the great info guys. I am still looking but it seems that all of the new tractors have increased emissions compliance hardware.

I am now thinking that I should look for a good used one. Any thoughts on the new tier 4 emission standards for tractors?

1963 Ford 2000. Gas engine. Points and carburetor. Easy to keep running with no shop/service expenses. 38hp, pulls disc and brush hog easily.

No power steering. Deal with it.

-Joe

If you have to have something new I would buy one with the EGR system instead of the SCR system. The EGR you replace a filter every 5000 hours, the SCR you filling the DEF tank every 1-2 fuel fills depending on how hard you run your machine. You can find a really good used tractor if you're not in a rush.

By: Whip
Date:10-Oct-15

I was tractor shopping this past spring and looking for pretty much the same features you are looking for. Like you, the more I read the more questions I had about the new emissions equipment. It all is so new that there didn't seem to be good answers on how they will be over the long term. I did find a lot of info on tractorbynet.com

Ultimately I ended up coming across a 7 year old Kubota MX5100 with only 180 hours on it. 50hp, and perfect for my needs. Saved a good chunk of money for a barely used machine and don't have to worry about being a guinea pig testing new emissions technology.

I found my tractor at a dealer only an hour from my home. But I was seriously shopping what looked to be good units on TractorHouse.com. it's a great website for finding exactly what you are looking for in a used machine, especially if you are willing and able to travel to pick one up. You might just save more than enough to pay for the trip.

By: Whip
Date:10-Oct-15

Forgot to add my opinion on features. Mine has the standard transmission and its fine for most of what I do. If you do a lot of loader work or an constantly needing to shift from forward to reverse, turning around, etc. the hydro would be handy although more expensive.

My preference would be for the industrial tires, but that depends on the soil you will use it on.

As for size, I am sure happy with a 50 hp unit. There have already been times when I'm glad it had the power that it does. A small unit might be a bit handier around the yard but will not have the power for bigger jobs when you need it. In all my research I don't think I ever read a guy post saying that he wished he had gone smaller. It's always the other way around.

Date:14-Oct-15

Lots of good advise in Joe's post.

Bill

Date:14-Oct-15

Four years ago I bought a Kubota L4400. 45 hp four wheel drive tractor with a grapple loader and standard transmission. It has done everything I have tried to do. Bush hog, finish mower, disk food plots, drag my driveway, and moved downed trees. The rear wheel have water for ballast. I can lift 2,000 lbs.

I live 15 miles from my hunting areas so a trailer is needed to load the tractor. With the attachments I need a 20' trailer. To haul it all I have a 250 Ford diesel.

David

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.