Thornton 02-Oct-15
ben yehuda 02-Oct-15
meatus 02-Oct-15
ki-ke 02-Oct-15
willliamtell 02-Oct-15
Jaeger63 04-Oct-15

Date:19-Sep-15

BlackBay's embedded Photo

Wife and I decided to let this guy grow another year. Hopefully we see him again this year. He never came through until later in hunting season. What is ur best guess on his score?

Another pic of the little guy.

WOW to let him go to grow is some serious decision making.

I hope he is still around

By: r-man

no chance he'd get a pass from me, you know while he walks past you, another guy he thinks wow I am shooting that . You don't get anything but the pic. If a deer is a occational visiter he's being watched by other as well, this has bit me before thinking I would take him next yr. I am still hoping he's around but that's not likely

By: Candor

Blackbay...how old did you estimate him to be last year?

He has a wide chest and belly appears full. His tarsals appear black but hard to tell how big.

It is certainly tough to age a deer from that pic but I would have put him at 4 1/2+. Sure he can get bigger to 6 1/2. But I am wowwed by people that have the discipline to wait on them to reach that age outside of a high fence environment.

My hat's off to you.

I guessed him to be around 4-5. Deffinatly didn't think he was maxed out yet. He was still pretty spry. We watched him in our stand last fall and let him walk. It's solid bush were our farm is and very hard to hunt. So hopefully he doesn't stick his nose into to many fields or open spaces. This year I hope to see him again. And see what kind of size he put on.

Date:20-Sep-15

Another buck that was hanging around our area we let walk. He is wide as heck but not much for tines.

Yea, "...not much for tines"

Geeze louise - most on here would trade their truck for either of those bucks!

Close to 160" on first buck. Good luck getting on both. Really nice deer

X2 bowfinatic - close to 160". Good looking buck, I hope you get a chance on him this year.

X2 bowfinatic - close to 160". Good looking buck, I hope you get a chance on him this year.

Is shot a 183 a couple years back and the first deer is almost identical to him, except longer g4's than mine. But I'm guessing around 170-180. Here are the deer we have got up there so far.

Pushing 170, weak brows...wouldn't surprise if he's over 170 though with those g4's.

I changed guess to 186 . g1- 5" G2- 10" G3-12" G4-10" 4 circ x 5" Main beam 26" Inside - 20"

That's my guess

Date:21-Sep-15

want us to guess the score so we can stroke your ego???? lol

Sure!!! Lol ... There not dead yet though... Lol

just having fun with you...lol don't take it personally I just don't have one located that big this year, good luck!!

Well I haven't seen those guys back yet. They didn't show up until later in the season. So thinking November might light up again . Hopefully.

Pushing 170, weak brows...wouldn't surprise if he's over 170 though with those g4's.

Dude, did you post this to brag? If you passed that deer, you are an idiot for doing so. Deer hunting isn't as hard as you make it out to be or you would not have passed him. Plain and simple. People don't pass a B&C buck just because. Just the way it is.

Date:22-Sep-15

Sometimes people have multiple 150-180 class bucks on their property and it's hard to shoot a 150 class buck when you perhaps know there are 3-4 170 plus class bucks on a property.

Myself, i just like growing huge deer and the biggest excitement of the year has been seeing 5 shooter bucks at one time after season, running in front of my 6 year old and myself as we checked trail cameras. Sure, the neighbors might shoot them. Perhaps other family or friends will shoot them but sometimes seeing that huge animal can be as thrilling as pulling any trigger.

Maybe i am weird...

Man nice deer. I'm moving to Alberta.

I'm not an idiot mountaineer, and never posted to brag. I have shot lots of 170-180 class deer. I want the opertunity at a 200" deer. So ya i guess if u classify a guy as an idiot for wanting a 200" deer then yes I am . But not just going to shoot any deer just because it's b&c. If u don't absolutely love it, and u don't need the meat, then why shoot it??? To just collect 170-180 deer? Nah. I'll wait to see his potential when he is fully matured . Might even wait another year if he doesn't look like he is old enough. To me it's about what u absolutely love , and taking an animal that is old and whillie. And at full potential. I'll keep everyone posted if I see the bruisers roaming around again.

I would shoot the first buck on the first day of every season anywhere in the World.

This buck was just shot up by our farm.

This deer was shot by our farm . So I think I made the right call by letting those ones grow another year.

good god man...

By: Candor

If Bowsite had "friend request" Blackbay would have a full inbox.

Genesis - That was funny.

I agree...when you find what makes your heart skip a beat, it's hard to relate to what drives another man.

Life gives us chapters, enjoy the one you're in....

The fact is most states have a handful of bucks that score B&C every year taken by bow - that's officially scored and entered.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=398888&forum=4

Here's the kind of data you will find:

Based on the latest P&Y book (this comment was in 2011) the states which kill B&C caliber bucks in the last 10 years. I don't have the B&C records data but since this an archery site this data may be more appealing.

Typical Whitetail >=170" 1. IL-85 2. WI-64 3. IA-45 4. KS-41 5. OH-37

Non-Typical Whitetail >=195" 1. IL-82 2. IA-51 3. KS-43 4.(tie) WI&OH- 27

As you can see above those are 10 year totals. So not many.

If you are shooting 170+" deer regularly with bow count yourself a VERY lucky person.

So that's why most guys on here can't comprehend not shooting a deer once he pasts 170".

Let me be the dumbest guy in the room here and say I'm not sure that there is 15 inches difference between your first buck and the wide angle buck in your last photo???

Please shoot that first buck and I would just feel better,okay? :)

Holy mackerel! I would love to see a buck the size of the ones in your trail cam pics

By: Gonzo

Holy huge hands and small head on that hunter Batman!

gonzo, exactly what I was thinking

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

By: XMan

Blackbay,

He's a stud, over 160 for sure and a deer I would have a really really really hard time passing up, good luck tagging him this year.

"Holy huge hands and small head on that hunter Batman!"

I don't care who you are...that shits funny.

By: tradmt

Yeah I pass those up all the time as well.

If it aint 190+ hes walking.

Date:24-Sep-15

no way that buck would have EVER gotten a pass from me last year. He'd be on my wall right now.

He's a beauty!

Date:24-Sep-15

The deer you let walk will score better than any you have on the wall. You may or may not be an idiot. That was wrong of me to say. I apologize for that. But, I'm not buying your humble story.

If there was a decent probability that you would have never seen them again, which would be the rule for that caliber deer in tough hunting habitat, you'd have shot them. There are people that will hunt their entire lives in areas known for truly big deer and, never lay eyes on the caliber deer you claim to pass. Something tells me you have a very good chance of seeing them again or you wouldn't have passed what is no doubt a once in a lifetime deer. Numerous once in a lifetime deer.

FWIW, I don't doubt you passed them. I'm just not sold on the premise that you let them go, amidst all that "tough" hunting, based on the statistical reality that you'll never see them again. It doesn't add up no matter the outlook you approach it with.

That is just the way I see it. Not that it matters. Good luck hunting them. God Bless men.

Date:25-Sep-15

Well if I shot every 160-180 deer I seen there would be no 200" or bigger to hunt or look forward to possibly seeing the next year. Once there dead they don't grow anymore. And I have shot a lot of deer over 160". And I've passed more than just that big guy, and got burned never to see them again. But I still believe one day I'll get lucky and hammer one I've let walk and break the 200 mark. I do it with the Bears at our camp every year to and sometimes I kick myself but the last 2 years I have been lucky enough to shoot 2 Boone bears that were both toads. So hopefully it pays off with the deer to . I got lots of patience.

By: Junior

I hope you have lots of land and haven't told anyone where your at. In my neck of the woods. When a big one shows his face, people are sneaking in your woods and everything else.

Many bucks best rack is in the 5th year sometimes the 4th.Most 4 year 160's will never see 170 much less 200.

My point is to bring a little light to the fact that their isn't some guarantee of additional inches after the 5th year.Just too many factors we as hunters have no control over in free range country.

Throw in your tough winters and all I can say is good luck in your quest.

The one that you said was shot down the road is the one you let walk,won't make it back. What state ,some big deer on your farm if you let those guys go

Black Bay they are some dandys but then you already know that. Good luck to you on your 200 you are in the areas of the land of the giants so I'd wait myself. It would be hard but you have to right idea anyways. You know what it takes.

There's many variables that can always arise as we all know.

Good Luck

By: Hoyt
Date:27-Sep-15

"Well if I shot every 160-180 deer I seen there would be no 200" or bigger to hunt or look forward to possibly seeing the next year. Once there dead they don't grow anymore."

Most likely there would be 200" or bigger to look forward to possibly seeing the next year.

But..they'd just be a whole lot wilder and harder to hunt, like in most places they reside.

Very true ryman cat. Hopefully one day 1 I let walk comes back in the 200 range. But hey if I like the deer enough 160-180 id shoot, I just didn't feel like taking him last year , so hopefully he is around again and I can update this post with some pics of him this year .

By: powder

Show your pictures of all these "lots of 170's-180's" YOU claim to have shot. Not a picture of some deer killed down the road and not a picture of three deer "we" shot. These bragging threads rarely work out on Bowsite, ArcheryTalk yes, Bowsite hardly ever. Oh ya "everybody shoots a 300 on Bowsite".

"Passed up" means alot of different things.To one guy it's letting a deer walk with an open shot well within effective bow range. To the next,it's running a deer out of the yard with headlights and getting a great buck on camera the same week :)

Date:28-Sep-15

I doubt he's joking around. I know 2 people in alberta that generally pass everything less than 150 or so. One has a garage full (10+) of 150-180 gross typicals (gun). The other passed up a 190 gross 2 years ago, only to reconsider (why I know it scored 190 gross), & passed up a low 170s the following year (that a friend took the next day, hence the score on that one, also gun). Alberta & Saskatchewan have good genetics, good soil, really low hunting pressure in a lot of areas, and are huge in area. Keep in mind, the body size tends to throw people off too - some of them are 300+ on the hoof.

I'll probably never see a deer even close to that size and your letting them walk, must be nice

Glad you can let them walk. Shoot what makes you happy. Would love to see more pics of those big bucks.

Wake up people, he's in Alberta!

Date:29-Sep-15

Ill check the trail cams when I get off work and hopefully there are some in the area or passing by between there feeding areas. If I didn't have to work so much I'd be able to actually try hunting or atleast checking my trail cams.

Let me get this straight....Serbian Shark is BACK on Bowsite?!!!!

Glad to see a post from Serb.

BlackBay you have to be a multi millionaire by now with all the endorsements and seminars and such you have being the best bow hunter in the world hands down! Is not a person on earth can come close to the success you have being able to pass multiple 160-180 BC bucks with regularity, most hunters don't see one in a lifetime let alone shoot one. If this is not high fence, God has really blessed you. even more incredible is you say you have a job that takes so much of your time how do find the time to locate so many of these rare BC bucks, advertisers, producers, hunting programs should be beating your door down. You should have no problem getting a 200"er maybe you should hold out for a 220-230 class. Good luck hope ya get em the new world record is due to fall after all you deserve it passing beautys like those!

I just re-read and noticed there were a lot of "we" instead of I. Kind of fits in with a bragging thread. You should snap a pic of all those 160's you shot. I live and hunt KS for several weeks each rut on some prime private and public land. I could count the number of 150"+ on one hand I see each year.

Date:30-Sep-15

This isn't a bragging thread , nor is it some place to come hack on me for sharing pictures. If I don't want to shoot a 160-180 class deer that's no ones business but mine. U guys shoot what u want, when u want , how u want . I don't hack on anyone's threads on here nor put anyone down. Move on, and don't worry about other people's personal choices. No idea why u care what I decide to hunt or about my work. Just sound like a bunch of old women trying to make themselves feel better by putting down or hacking on others. If I get time to hunt this year and see that damn deer again and I like how he looks , maybe I'll shoot him. I'll decide when the time comes. Thanks for all the bs comments , much appreciated . Move on

Agreed blackbay. Envy is a bad shade for most folks...

By: T Mac

Blackbay well said it makes you question sometimes why you even take the time to share...good luck I hope you get a shot at one of those big boys!

By: meatus

Jealousy is a nasty trait, on full display here, everyone has different ideals of what makes a hunt and season successful, to each their own. Blackbay Congrats on doing it your way, only you know what you want and only you decide when and when not to shoot an animal based on your ideals and ethics. Rock on, you have access to some quality land and some amazing quality deer, enjoy!

Those are some monster deer you have there. Best of luck on your quest for a 200!!

By: ki-ke

I've spent a bunch of time in Alberta and have met many great folks there. Seeing what lives in the fringe areas there, I have no doubt that there are places like yours where a true giant is a real possibility. They are a different deer than what we have in the states, even in the best and most highly managed places in our Midwest.

The biggest of those No Canadian bucks usually lose their spots in the record books due to all the magnificent junk they add to their antlers with age. It is common knowledge that the abnormal growth and huge body size is due to the carnivorous diet those older bucks adopt when they reach 5 or 6. Whitetail fawns comprise a big part of their menu, hence the typically low overall deer population in those fringe bush areas.

Please continue to post pics of these meat eaters, both dead and alive. I enjoy them.

Keep posting the pics! hope you are successful in your quest ! We all have our own standards so stick to what you are doing looks like it is heading in the right direction!

Black Bay like I said earlier of the MILLIONS of deer taken in the US every year VERY FEW ever get anywhere near the scores you are talking.

In WI only 64 deer scored above 170" in 10 YEARS!

That is why guys are so skeptical.

Your casual tone and "doesn't everyone see these type of deer" attitude makes some very skeptical.

You are one lucky guy if you are seeing that many deer over 170"!

Keep sharing.

Well said Sage -No envy here whatsoever. Just pure skepticism. Shoot one of those bucks and I'll be the first to tell you "good job".

Good luck this fall with your quest and don't listen to these jealous ones.

Well I am lucky , but I ain't blood thursty either. It has to be pretty damn unique or big for me to wanna take its life. So I am pretty casual and yes there are a tonne of big deer up here. I have got burnt lots letting the 160-180 deer walk , but I don't care I enjoy the time in the outdoors and watching all the animals with me and my wife. It's not just about getting a deer. It's about having fun and enjoying the entire experience. If we don't shoot anything we are not heart broken. This is my wife's first deer ever. And there was a younger one identical to the one I first posted, but only was a 4x5 and was same size as all the does. So we let him walk and she ended up arrowing a nice old buck that came in. And now that deer vanished that we passed up. And he looked like he was in the 170 class as a super young buck, but hey that's hunting and she is happy as hell with a really old buck that outsmarted a lot of hunters in his days.

By the way that buck weighed 220 lbs skinned and gutted. He was an old warrior. Very unique and wicked first deer.

BlackBay, I caught hell two years ago on another forum for starting a thread about passing a 180 that I had regularly on camera. I had killed one almost exactly like him the year before and I believed the deer still had potential to grow. I also wanted (and still do) to pass the 200 mark. Not everyone has opportunities like that and it seems can't wrap their heads around the concept.... oh well

Blackbay,

I am neither critical nor jealous. I am very curious however.

You show a picture of a good live buck and a few decent but lesser ones dead. Then state you "killed a 183 a couple of years ago."

Why no picture of the 183? Why no score sheet? Why no specific year? Other than that reference, you are specific about the other details.

You are not low profile or shy so why only the pictures of the lesser bucks?

When we had large bucks in KS and I was seeing "lots of 170-180's" I saw 200 plus bucks one or two per year for many years. Gone now but that was my experience when they were here. How many 170-180 bucks are you seeing with nothing larger?

Again, just find some of your statements curious or hard to follow.

Wishing you all the best.

Nice picture BlackBay. If this were a contest, YOU WIN! But it's not. Some jealous guys here. Good luck on your quest for a +200"

It isn't jealousy. It's one thing to say you see them. I see a lot of "big" deer working in the woods almost every day. However, it is another to say you have killed a bunch of Boone and Crockett deer, especially let them go in "tough hunting".

So far, the only B&C deer he has shown has been on the trail cams. While he has shown some great deer to be proud of and, a good looking women to call his wife, he hasn't shown a B&C deer dead yet. Despite his claims.

To be suspect isn't jealousy. He was the one that stated the claim's he has done what no one else has ever done. EVER. To ask him to show what he has claimed, is simply curiosity. Show them and I'll be the first to say 'atta boy.

I hope you kill a 200 inch deer every year. I really do. However, until you show some actual B&C deer dead, I'm going to be skeptical of these claims you have made. Once again, not that that matters. But, I don;t intend to let people say I'm jealous as I m not. I'm happy for you. You have some great deer killed already. None shown are anywhere near the claims you have made though.

You started a thread that says all but "Look at me", then refuse to prove what you claim by the proof you claimed to have, is what has brought this upon yourself. No one is jealous. Envious? Only if proven to be true. It is important for you to realize that you aren't the victim of jealousy. You look to be the victim of self boasting. God Bless

By: SB
Date:01-Oct-15

I also think the deer shot"down the road" is the one in your first pic. He Did Get bigger....but you won't be seing him on the hoof again!

Well to clear up all the bunch of 180 deer I've killed , I've only killed 2 deer over 170, 1 was 183 and there is a picture of him with my wife's and my other deer . But I have probably killed about 5 or 6 deer in the 150-160 range to be exzact. I never registered anything in pope and young or Boone and crocket ever until I shot my bear last year. He was first Boone and crocket animal I have ever entered. The deer my wife killed had a 25" inside spread . Not much for tine length but he was old and going down hill. My buck on the right of hers had 14" g2's, and his main beans were 26.5". I had a Boone and crocket scorer green score him at 183 after deductions. And I nvr dry scored him, I really didn't care at the time nor do I now to enter him. But when I shoot a deer around 200 or bigger I might. AnywYs the other deer I don't have pictures of , my computer got stolen 2 years ago with all my hunting pictures , so I lost all the deer I've killed since I was a kid till 2 years ago. The deer that went 183 I killed in 2008 , and I haven't shot a deer since. No time and haven't seen one that has got my fancy . Hope this clears it all up for u detail seekers.

As well I am 6' 1" , dark hair, 250lbs, and I like hunting, fishing , quading, skidooing, and my wife and 4 kids. I'd give u my tax statements and other details but it's to personnel. But hey I know u guys will keep pestering me , and picking at this thread steady just to kick up a fuss, so hopefully those are enough details for u detail seekers.

listen, you posted a pic of a giant buck saying you passed him up because you've killed alot of 170''-180'' deer. Awesome!good job! But then you post a pic of 3 mounts of deer that aren't even close to even 170. Now you're saying you only killed 2 over 170. still thats awesome in my book. But now you're saying you killed 5-6 bucks 150-160. But still the mounted deer heads fall short of 150-160 imo. i dont care what you shoot or pass up its absolutely none of my business. But if you are going to post anything on the internet someone is always going to pick it apart. And there are alot of inconsistencies in this post. Good luck on your quest for the 200.

Are u a tiny bit mental trapper. The one deer mount is 183 , and the one my wife killed green scored 170, and I think other one was 162 or something. So not even close???!!!!!! My wife's deer was 220 lbs skinned and gutted. Those deer heads are like elk heads compared to ur deer down south. So ya they are 160-180 . Ass

Those are some nice deer BlackBay! Good luck on your quest of a 200" buck. It's a shame that someone can't post a thread without having his personal integrity attacked. I'm sure threads like these make other members second guess posting anything.

Well thanks mass . There are a lot of normal guys on here that enjoy seeing big bucks, and can appreciate trying to go for a monarch. And I shouldn't of said I've shot lots of 170-180 deer. But honestly 155-180 is my range I've killed I guess, and I have hunted and killed probably 8 or 9 deer in the range. But I don't kill every year and I only ever kill what I really like. I haven't killed a deer since 08 as I'm waiting to shoot a toad. And really if I see him I do if not whatever. It's all about being outdoors and getting the chance at the monsters or 1 in a life time bucks. Hell I might even let the wife take the big one when we see him. Don't really care. But thanks and thanks to everyone else to that just enjoys seeing the pics and can appreciate what I'm trying to do. Good luck to everyone and hope it's a good year on all ur hunts

You might want to get a digital copy of your marriage license ready too...just in case proof is requested!

Nice bucks...no matter what...very nice.

lol.... No doubt. Some people are rediculous with there bs negative nit picking bs..

Date:02-Oct-15

If that is 183" a couple of my 150"s must actually be 170"

I can't score a deer for beans, but based on the sheetrock behind him that rascal is close to 4' high from the base of the mount to the top of his antlers, and his head doesn't even seem mounted particularly high.

I saw a whitetail buck in Alberta once that looked like a mule with antlers. Compared to the deer where I grew up in North Carolina it looked like an entirely different species. The thing had a neck like an oak tree. Toad indeed.

Whatever your bucks scored they look good to me.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread I see people did start calling you an "idiot" and talking about your ego before you ever brought up how many deer you have killed.

Rough crowd.

I bet if you offered to let somebody come up and hunt your farm you'd have more new internet friends than you could shake a stick at.

Good luck, and post more trail cam pics if you get them. I'd love to see what's up there.

By: meatus

Some people in this thread make me sick to be included in the same group as them, get off your high horse and join the rest of us it's not that bad down here, and drop the holier then though attitude while your at it! Once again, BlackBay do your thing your way as you choose!

A very envious not jealous hunter!

By: ki-ke

Blackbay. Ben Yehuda is right. I believe you should invite a Bowsiter to come up to your place and put the doubts of these naysayers to rest. Since I have been nothing but encouraging in my responses to your posts and the fact that I am familiar with your wonderful Province and the incredible game animals that reside there, it is only logical that that hunter should be me. While I cannot guarantee that I will pass on a 180 Alberta meat eater, I can guarantee that you can stand behind whatever I kill on our hunt and I will plaster your pic all over this forum!

Naysayers will be humbled!!

Let's pencil in 11/12-22, 2016. If Orionsbrother isn't ice fishing in that time period, I would like him to accompany me as our official photographer.

He likes that ice fishing crap though, and I doubt he will be available....

THe one Blackbay got this year looks book to me, and an adequate defense for letting buck #1 walk (though I fully get other's folks; angst over his decision - he looks plenty old and large enough to be a shooter to me). Even wife's get-one-down buck is solidly lifetime for most folks. So congrats on both deer. Please do keep posting cam or kill pix so the rest of us can dream.

By the way, WHAT about old buck eating fawns??? Ki-ke, I need to read your sources about "carnivorous" Sasky bucks. And we all thought it was genetics + minerals in the soil.

Date:04-Oct-15

Blackbay, You obviously have some great genetics in your area. I Don't blame you a bit for letting them reach their potential. But....the pic of the second buck you posted appears to be an old buck. IMO he has has probably reached his potential judging from his super thick body frame. I expect he will start degrading instead of improving. Congrats on having the caliber of deer that most of us only dream of!!!!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.