Dampland 24-Sep-15
cwater 25-Sep-15
notme 26-Sep-15
notme 26-Sep-15
notme 26-Sep-15
Paul 26-Sep-15
Paul 26-Sep-15

Date:19-Sep-15

Notme posted a picture of a doe that the coyotes found first. They had eaten some of the rear quarters.

I hunt in Kansas with a lot of 'yotes. It seems that the same thing could happen to me.

What do folks do? Can you salvage any of the meat? Could notme recover the loins and front quarters?

If it is a nice buck, do you need to do anything special to recover the head for a Euro or shoulder mount?

Or in general... what sort of bad things can happen and what protection do you need to protect yourself? I.e. Just plastic gloves?

Here in NY we can tag the deer than take the deer to the DEC and they will give us a new tag. We are not supposed to waste the meat if possible. The thing is, if it is a nice buck and you want to keep the the head than you tag it and thats it, no new tag would be issued. To be honest I hate to waste good deer meat. In Notme's case I would of skinned out the back and took the back loins and left the rest for the coyotes. Not sure what laws say in Conn. though. Shawn

Where I hunt in Wisconsin, coyotes are total game changers. Gone are the days of waiting til morning to track...the yotes will get there first...every...single...time.

I've even taken to pulling out before shooting hours if no deer are in sight. Any shot at the end of the day better be a slam dunk sure thing...and pack lights in with your day pack.

I started deer hunting back in the 60's, and the ubiquitous coyote is a fairlt recent phenomenon...and now, they're everywhere.

By: TD

I wear rubber gloves just to keep my hands from getting greasy and bloody. Make clean up way easier.

Personally I'd just cut off the damaged parts, bone out the rest and bag it. Treat it like bloodshot meat from bullet or broadhead, just trim it off. If they ate a whole quarter I'd take the other three. Long as the meat didn't sour it will be fine.

Date:20-Sep-15

I shared a deer with the coyotes. They left me the front end and the loins. I didn't want to share but there was enough meat so I got some good eating.

LongbowLes's embedded Photo

They didn't leave me much of mine this year. I notched my tag and took the rack. Next time I think I'll be taking the dog "racoon hunting" sooner.

It seems nowadays, if you don't have blood etc right away, it's wait until morning. I will never let a deer lay overnight unless my arrow or eyes say gutshot.

By: Matt

It's an interesting phenomenon to see how many guys leave deer overnight. In this day and age it is a recipe for loosing the meat to coyotes, so why not track at night? Part of the answer is probably watching too much of the Drurys and their ilk, and I fear I don't want to know the rest.

By: PTaft

I couldn't agree more with Cazador and Matt. I am dumbfounded by the practice of leaving an animal overnight. Unless you're damn sure it's gut shot man up, turn on your head lamp and go get your animal. The tv shows are screwing up all kinds of things that used to be common practice. Who knows, maybe the guys that leave them overnight are just afraid of the dark?

By: MDW

So far, I'm batting 50% on evening shots that were left overnight. Having said that, I also pass up several iffy shots every fall, just because I don't want to feed the coyotes anything but lead.

Last deer the coyotes got to first, we salvaged one hind quarter, back straps and front shoulders.

In my case I think I only got one lung maybe a little liver too. I almost got a second shot off but he caught my movement and spooked,blowing at me on his way out. He went 1/2 mile never bedding til 80 yard before we found him. The coyotes were on him quick keeping him on his feet. I debated tracking at night but with him blowing at me after being hit and my desire to legally use my dog I opted for first light. In hind sight I'd of done it differently.

By: OkieJ

Had the yotes eat a complete deer 2 seasons ago in under 8 hrs. Left me about a foot of neck meat.

By: APauls

So far I've never had to leave a deer overnight. I've made some hits that weren't perfect, but those only required a few hours and worst case I went back late at night. Gut hit would be the only reason to wait that long IMO and thankfully I haven't had any guts yet. Every time I ten-ring an animal it's basically as quick as I can settle myself down, get my gear together, lower my lone wolf I go over there and check him out. When you vital hit a deer it's basically a 3-30 second deal. I have no interest in feeding scavengers.

One time I shot a buck at 10 in the morning, recovered him at 3pm in 2 feet of snow in Manitoba here and when I got to him I scared away a number of eagles that literally ate the back half of the buck. Not one coyote track.

I will say that I have found deer late ona cold night and decided to leave them overnight. I gut them drag a short ways and throw my jacket over them along with my sweaty hat. I than take a leak all the way around them I have never had a coyote touch them although the gut pile is gone when I come back in the morning. Shawn

In my area of S.W. Ohio you can forget leaving any deer overnight. Make the very best shot possible and train a good tracking dog. That is what I am doing. Coyotes are a real problem!

A buddy shot a deer last year and it only took us 20 mins to find it and the totes were already on it. They chewed up one of the hind quarters and we talked with a biologist who said just cut that away and the rest is ok. We don't wait for a deer to die if it's the last part of the day, to many dogs out so we go after the deer right after the shot.

By: TD
Date:21-Sep-15

Matt x 2

I see a trend of pulling off the shoulder and hitting "a little back" over and over with a great big mech head and relying on the mech to cut enough to kill it in several minutes, even hours, instead of seconds with a good hit.

We've all made bad hits.... gut shots need to be not pushed I agree. But I see with a good deal of regularity bad hits that I think that's where they were aiming.... "expand your kill zone...."

No. Hit that softball. They go down fast. If you screw it up then you play if from where it lies....

Date:21-Sep-15

If coyotes are an issue, I agree with those that the only time to leave a deer overnight is when it is an obvious gut shot. I track other hits that night. I believe night tracking is easier in some ways. I have on three occasions left liver shot deer for a couple of hours and them taken up the track to recover them after dark with good results.

In my part of Kansas I have always assumed a deer left overnight has a 50% chance of being found by coyotes before morning. On a deer that coyotes get to first simply save the undamaged meat and discard the rest.

Date:24-Sep-15

Are gloves required? (I definitely think they are a good idea)

What sorts of things can you catch?

I always wear gloves and a mask over my nose and mouth when field dressing a deer. If I don't I have allergies that kick in. I simply get some surgical gloves and keep several in my pack.

I would not worry about handling a deer carcass that coyotes have chewed on. Sure I'd cut away the chewed on meat, but I'm not worried about getting rabies or turning into a werewolf or anything.

Besides I alway gut my deer using the heavy duty dish washing gloves to keep the blood off my hands are forearms. Though the last few years I've gotten pretty good at gutting and getting nothing more than the tips of the fingers bloddy. and all gutted in 5-7 minutes tops.

By: cwater
Date:25-Sep-15

i hunt eastern Kansas..

Last year i shot a doe, knew i hit her a little back but thought i at least caught a lung, still having my buck tag i stayed in the stand for another hour. Finally got down to start tracking the doe i has shot. Found decent blood and started to track her. After following a blood trail for 200 yards i came to a steep creek bank ( now this has been at least 1.5 hours after i had shot her). peeked over the bank to find two coyotes surrounding her trying to get her down. I knocked another arrow to shoot the doe again, but spooked her out. unfortunately i shot at the coyote has it didn't get spooked.... but missed. long story short i never found the deer or got to kill one of the yotes.

By: notme
Date:26-Sep-15

notme's MOBILE embedded Photo

Since its my deer at the start of the thread,I should answer..i was 18ft up

Since its my deer at the start of the thread,I should answer..i was 18ft up,she was slight 1/4away 14yrds at the shot..shot he at 5:15 got down to look at 6:15..pinpricks of blood,my friend showed up at 6:45..hunting a real thick swamp..we searched up to 10:00..went about 75 yrds..it wasn't until 10:30 the next day when I found her 50 yrds from were we left off.by the time I found her it was 75* and the yotes got most of her..im not sure if CT has anything on the books or if its more of an moral issue.i called it in on principle,I owe the deer that much..i should also add that if the Broadhead opened I most likely would've never lost the deer.

Exit hole clearly shows rage never opened.

By: Paul

Paul's MOBILE embedded Photo

This deer fell dead in Ellington last year at our house barn . They called me to come and remove it . Bad way to go

By: Paul

That's horse barn even my fingers need a deit

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.