gobbler 20-Sep-15
bowriter 20-Sep-15
elkaddict 20-Sep-15
Cottonwood88 21-Sep-15
Cottonwood88 21-Sep-15
bumpinblaze4x4 21-Sep-15

Date:17-Sep-15

bumpinblaze4x4's embedded Photo

I'm looking for a informative debate/discussion on the genetic potential of bucks with short tines. The buck i've been following is known as the "short tined ten" on our farm and i believe he was a 3 year old (possibly 4) last year in 2014. As you can tell by the pictures he was a good buck but had what i consider shorter tines; based on his sheds from last year he scored appx 145" given a 20" inside spread. He seems to have put on some good mass this year (2015) but not much else, i dont think his tine length has changed much since last year.

Going forward would you expect his tine length to change much over going into next year? This isn't a "should i shoot or should i pass" questions, just a matter of what your experiences are with bucks that have shorter tines and what they may develop into. Personally i dont expect much change in tine length if i pass on him this year but i'd like to know if anyone has any experience over the years with similar bucks.

2014 pics

2015 (pardon the hazy pictures, a spider decided to make its home in my camera)

It depends, I have seen deer explode from 3.5 to 4.5 and have seen others stay pretty much the same from 3.5 to 5.5. If you think he is 145" deer this year I would not wait to see how big he gets. He is a shooter for sure! Shawn

He was about a 145" deer last year (based on his sheds). I'm guessing this year hes low 150's.

I don't know about anyone else but in my neck of the woods that's not a short tine buck.

By: Topper
Date:19-Sep-15

It seems that most bucks of his age don't change tine length from year to year so I would doubt that he will add any length if you let him go another year.

Date:20-Sep-15

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo

I agree with Pat. I killed a buck last year that was most likely 4 1/2. His g2 was maybe 5" tall. He was the same way the season before. This was him in 2013....

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo

And him when in 2014 after putting an arrow through him... His spread is 20"

Like Said above, if they haven't changed past 4.5, from my experiences, they won't develop length. By the way, I started a thread on this very subject not long ago. I'll see if I can find it.

. Depending on where you live I think mast has a lot to do with it. In nonagricultural areas we often see shorter tines the year after a mast failure. Lack of spring and summer rain will affect tine length also.

By age 3.5, the genetic potential of a buck is pretty well established. prior to that, not much can be determined regarding antler production. After that age, nutrition will play a part but the gentics will not suddenly produce a significantly "improved" rack.

With age, up to a point, certainly it may get larger overall. But it is highly unlike a short-tined deer will suddenly change significantly into a long-tined deer.

I'd love to have the genetics of your "short tined" buck. I've got a number of 4-5 year old with 1/2 of the height you have:( To answer your question, I think it is very unlikely you'll ever see a significant jump in tine length at this point. I believe width, mass and even extra points are more likely.

Date:21-Sep-15

Cottonwood88's embedded Photo

As far as I am concerned, a healthy mature buck should be taken based on his age and potential. I'd say take that buck if you have a chance this year...I doubt he will show much more potential. And if you hung your tag on him I'd be proud...he may lack inches but he's a mature healthy buck.

This buck aged at 4.5 and his tallest piont was 7" ...nothing terrible but we have better bucks here

Cottonwood88's embedded Photo

Here is another from 2009 aged 3.5 but I'm skeptical. Notice no brow tines.

Thanks all, i appreciate the input. I really enjoy tracking buck development, genetics, and antler potential. While i know i'm fortunate to have a short tined deer be the one pictured, it looks like the general consensus (and my gut feeling) that his tine length will never be much more than it is. Hopefully i can get him in front of my wife for her first buck!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.