500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Worst trail cam pic.yet F#%$% yotes
Worst trail cam pic.yet F#%$% yotes
Predator Control
Messages posted to thread:
lewis 15-Sep-15
CurveBow 15-Sep-15
Jim B 15-Sep-15
Glunt@work 15-Sep-15
HerdManager 15-Sep-15
wild1 15-Sep-15
kentuckbowhnter 15-Sep-15
yukon roz 15-Sep-15
Zbone 15-Sep-15
Will 15-Sep-15
Bou'bound 15-Sep-15
Towhead 15-Sep-15
lewis 15-Sep-15
lewis 15-Sep-15
Sandbrew 15-Sep-15
Sandbrew 15-Sep-15
Sandbrew 15-Sep-15
lewis 15-Sep-15
lewis 15-Sep-15
Glunt@work 15-Sep-15
RutNut_@work 15-Sep-15
r-man 15-Sep-15
Thornton 15-Sep-15
buckhammer 15-Sep-15
Glunt@work 15-Sep-15
writer 15-Sep-15
WV Mountaineer 15-Sep-15
Jeff Durnell 15-Sep-15
Knife2sharp 15-Sep-15
cityhunter 15-Sep-15
LBshooter 15-Sep-15
jmb 15-Sep-15
deerman406 15-Sep-15
TD 16-Sep-15
Waterfowler 16-Sep-15
SteveB 16-Sep-15
SteveB 16-Sep-15
Zbone 16-Sep-15
tobywon 16-Sep-15
deerman406 16-Sep-15
lewis 16-Sep-15
RutNut_@work 16-Sep-15
Kevin Dill 17-Sep-15
lewis 17-Sep-15
Zbone 17-Sep-15
roger 19-Sep-15
lewis 19-Sep-15
buddyb 19-Sep-15
lewis 19-Sep-15
Gonzo 19-Sep-15
lewis 19-Sep-15
RK 19-Sep-15
lewis 19-Sep-15
Kevin Dill 20-Sep-15
lewis 20-Sep-15

By: lewis
Date:15-Sep-15

lewis's embedded Photo

One my best bucks we hope he made it but that bastard had a pretty good grip.Don't think they just grab does and fawns this guy weighs over 200 lbs.They always try to grab and open up the gut.This is on our place in Tn.Lewis

I'm surprised that a yote could get ahold of a healthy, mature buck like that. Shoot them just the same!

>>>>-------->

By: Jim B

Sorry to see that.The problem is,even with a failed attempt,blood or other material hitting the ground will bring others and when they sense an animal is hurt,they are relentless.That doesn't look good but you never know.He may have only got skin.I hope you let us know what you find out.Good luck.

I've watched coyotes chase injured pronghorn bucks and grab them by the sack twice. Can't tell if thats exactly what this one doing but sorta looks like it. That appears to be a healthy buck and hopefully he escaped. Luckily, whitetails fill in the voids quickly.

That deer looks winded (mouth gaping). Hope he made it, but I am guessing not...

By: wild1

Sucks. I'm surprised he got the bite too - although that buck looks healthy, maybe it's already sick and/or injured.

that deer is coyote poop now.

WOW that hurts just looking at the pic.Hope it works out for the deer.

By: Zbone

That buck is in real trouble and if wagering, now dead...

If he wasn't disenbowled, (probably was, for they are relentless and how they do it with larger game), the buck is exhausted and stressed to the max, notice the gapping mouth and splayed hooves... If it did happen to survive the disembalmment, likely didn't survive the stress...

Don't show Kevin Dill, he won't believe ya, probably say it's been photoshopped...8^) (That was a joke Kev)

By: Will

I think the biologists are starting to talk in terms of "Predation of/by opportunity". I may have the exact terms off, but it's something like that. Nut shell: Predators take the animal they can get, sometimes that's the hurt/sick/old/weak... but they dont actively target those options as was once believed.

Gorgeous buck, sucks to see that.

Hope he made it so you an kill it his fall

That coyote must watch the outdoor channel. That buck was on his hit list.

Bou I really want to kill them both.Lewis

Bou I really want to kill them both.Lewis

His mouth is open because it's a 109F and he's dragging a coyote by his back leg. Sandbrew

Sand not exactly the cam is in direct sun reason for the temp.thank God we never see temps like that on the plateau it was 40 this a.m.Lewis

Sand not exactly the cam is in direct sun reason for the temp.thank God we never see temps like that on the plateau it was 40 this a.m.Lewis

Predators are on the job all day, every day. Stinks to lose a decent buck to the coyotes but not if you are a coyote.

Maybe killing that buck changed the fortune of a fawn they would have killed that evening and he grows into the state record :^)

They estimate about 3500 mountain lions in Colorado. A lion kills 40+ deer per year. Thats 140,000 deer a year being turned into cat scat...

The WI DNR insists that predators only take the weak and young. Their solution is to make your deer herd healthier and then the predators will move on.

By: r-man

good luck finding a yote around me, they just disappeared this winter, spend a little time each yr doing some total eradication .

you will never complete "a total eradication" of coyotes. They have done studies and they come back more than ever. If you are not seeing them, it's because you shot a few and educated the rest.

I recently read where you have to shoot 60 to 70 percent of the coyotes in a specific area for 5 consecutive years in order to have any effect on the population

You can knock them back with trapping, snaring, M-44 Cyanide sets, denning, aerial and ground shooting. The problem is it usually takes all of these together to make difference and as soon as you let up, they fill right back in.

Sure fun to hunt so best bet is adapt and enjoy taking some pelts!

By: writer

Thorton X2.

People have been trying to eradicate them for about four centuries with very little effect, no even when hides have been worth $100 or more.

Aerial gunning worked for a rancher/friend in Wyoming. Then the coyotes figured out to lay flat under sage or something similar when they heard or saw the chopper in the distance.

Incredible animals that deserve a ton of respect...just wish they were vegetarians. :-)

If you can all but eradicate wolves, as we did from the lower 48, you can do the same to coyotes. Wolf litters are shown to increase too when food isn't a limiting factor. You just have to play the game to win.

I hate to see that but, we don't know if that buck was sick, hurt, or just plain tired from being run by dogs. Coyotes are opportunists and while they no doubt kill deer, when the woods are full of prey to choose from, I doubt they make a habit of tackling a mature deer like that unless they have the upper hand.

I know, I know, coyotes are the most blood thirsty killers on the planet and, they kill "MY deer" all the time. I'm stupid and know nothing. But, if they were what what most make them out to be, there would be no deer left. God Bless

That's what I'm talkin about... Trophy huntin coyote gettin it done with the most primitive of equipment, his TEETH. You guys are just jealous.

You'd think one good bronco kick would send that yote on his way.

Im shocked that yote hasnt been killed with back kick ,could this buck be injured car fence etc disease?

Amazing a 40/50 lb dog can take down a 200 lb buck. The buck should turn and spike that yote. Hope he made it but I doubt it.

By: jmb

That sucks. I see a hunk of hide missing on his hind quarter, possibly injured already? Hit by car?

I would agree that he was already hurt. I have seen a few coyotes take a healthy buck down, but just one on one a healthy deer normally just out runs them. He may have been hit by a car or something, he has that big wound on his right ham. Shawn

By: TD
Date:16-Sep-15

Just might not have a pic of the others....

In the late 60's early 70's in CA the cattlemen went to the state complaining about the yotes. They were told the yotes have no effect on cattle and calving.

Cattlemen thought different, the association put a bounty on them. The pros hit the ground running, some shooters, several trappers, a couple aerial guys did the best, set up bait sites and shot them out of Cubs with 870 shotguns at first light, then come back for tails (bounty). If I remember it was $50 a tail. Hides were worth good money too.

They knocked the crap out of them back then. When there are too many, they aren't that hard, they get bold and desperate. Also when they have bad effects on livestock. When they get cut back to a certain level they get much harder to hunt, but also have MUCH less effect on livestock.

Within a few years the cattlemen claimed 30-40% increase in calving rates some areas. They wanted to continue the program and even increase the bounty. About that time certain "elements" in CA government put a legal halt to a private bounty offered for shooting "public" animals.

I got to be the shooter once when I was a kid, my Dad was one of the pilots in the area (his plane at the time was a piper pacer, kind of a 4 seat cub) The regular shooter had the flu.

What a rush, never forget it. "First rule.... do not shoot the plane. Second rule... do not shoot the plane..." and can hear clear as a bell to this day after a couple very nervous misses.... shouting over the plane... "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PLANE AND THE TREES AND MOUNTAINS, NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT FLYING THE PLANE, I'M FLYING THE PLANE.... YOU JUST SHOOT COYOTES."

On the ground in the hangers after they were cranking me "the cub is the safest airplane in the world. It only flies just barely fast enough to kill ya..."

You want to control coyotes, wolves, whatever... put a viable bounty on them. Then watch what motivated individuals can do about it. But this day and age...they mug you at the street corner for license and tags for the privilege and if that doesn't get it done, just pay government shooters outright, by the hour. Open bounty is just not politically correct anymore, no matter how effective or cost efficient.

Anyone ever consider that artificially planting food plots congregates deer which in turn congregates predators? Mast producing trees are only viable for a short span but food plots are almost 12 months depending on the crop.

By: SteveB

Man....that sucks.

By: SteveB

lewis....you should enter this pic in a trail cam contest for sure.

"Natural predators will kill at every opportunity, unless they are so satiated they cannot drag their fat guts across the ground.

When a resident predator population wipes out their resident food source(and they will, it's a proven fact of nature), they will: 1)migrate to find new prey. 2)kill and eat other resident predators(including each other). 3)starve and die.

This cycle is natural, it's as old as time, and you learn the basics of it in your first semester of Wildlife Mgmt. Usually they use the lynx/hare cycle as the example."

Cool photo. I would bet the buck was already injured as others have said. A big mature healthy buck and one coyote on solid ground usually ends in the bucks favor. Although tough to tell by one cam photo, maybe it was just the cam being in the right place at the right time and the coyote surprised the buck at the edge of field. The coyote took a bite and buck kicked and ran away. Or, there could have been multiple coyotes just out of the shot. Its anyone's guess. Either way tough to tell and you will never know unless the buck shows up again on the cam or you find it dead. Hopefully he is still alive. Keep us posted if anything comes up.

Even several coyotes normally cannot kill a healthy buck like that. They evade them many times by simply outrunning them. They are not like african wild dogs who actually have learned to tag team mature animals and run a relay until the target animal tires. I would say for sure ecsp. by the wound on it right hindquarter that it was hurt and just not able to flee, he is stressed for sure. Shawn

I found him check out post #2 Lewis

The thing that really strikes me as odd about this is that it's over 100 degrees and mid day. The yote or the deer would not have been active under normal circumstances in the middle of the day in that heat. My guess is that the buck somehow was injured the night before or that morning and they coyote(s) picked up the scent.

Date:17-Sep-15

Is anyone else seeing a wound on this buck's right hip? I see a hairless area which appears to (possibly) have a penetrating wound. Your opinions?

Forget the temp.the cam.was in direct sun we never ever get anything close to that.Lewis

Kevin - Probably where the rest of the pack bit him...8^)

By: roger
Date:19-Sep-15

Error Occurred While Processing Request The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.

Note: If you wish to use an absolute template path (for example, template="/mypath/index.cfm") with CFINCLUDE, you must create a mapping for the path using the ColdFusion Administrator. Or, you can use per-application settings to specify mappings specific to this application by specifying a mappings struct to THIS.mappings in Application.cfc.
Using relative paths (for example, template="index.cfm" or template="../index.cfm") does not require the creation of any special mappings. It is therefore recommended that you use relative paths with CFINCLUDE whenever possible.

Resources:
  • Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debug Output Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.
  • Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
  • Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser   claudebot
Remote Address   162.158.79.214
Referrer   http://www.bowsite.com/db/forums/thread.cfm?forum=4&threadid=446176&MESSAGES=56&FF=4
Date/Time   28-Mar-24 10:01 AM