Bow Crazy 15-Jul-15
MDcrazyman 15-Jul-15
sureshot 15-Jul-15
Tndeer 15-Jul-15
dm/wolfskin 15-Jul-15

By: Tndeer
Date:13-Jul-15

Tndeer's embedded Photo

I've been managing our farm for four years. I just pulled cards for the first time this year and got a couple nice ones (at least for my farm). These may be the two biggest I have seen since I started managing the place. The other really nice surprise was the number of young 8 and 10 points that I got on camera.

Hopefully they will put a couple more inches on in the coming weeks.

BTW, does anyone know when antlers stop growing? I realize it differs from one deer to the next and with location but it seems to me that these deer still have time to put on some length. I think in TN velvet comes off in early September.

Tndeer's embedded Photo

sorry for the crappy photo quality

Nice deer, very nice deer! I think antlers grow until the velvet is shed. I could be wrong, but I'm at least close. For us here in Wisconsin that's end of August, early September.

What have you been doing to manage the deer on your property for the last two years? QDM? Habitat management? What? Would love to hear what you are doing. BC

Definitely shooters for me. Antlers will stop a couple growing weeks before they strip. They will get harder during this time. I once shot a couple Sitka blacktails on Kodiak the first week of August and the bone was still spongy. Stop had a couple weeks to harden up

Bow Crazy, thanks for the response. I have reduced hunting pressure significantly and put a harvest program in place which includes a "hit list". I share this list with others that hunt the property. By educating them they are less likely to make a bad decision. I have also limited people to 1 buck a year with a total of 3 buck maximum for the property (culls don't count). I have planted hedge screens around the property to limit visibility by poachers and posted the property. I plant about 40 acres of food plots (clover, turnips, radishes, corn, beans, chicory, millet, sunflowers etc.) and have established new warm season grass fields and some CRP fields for bedding. I started a burn program for the 300 acres of pines we have. Also have put out several mineral blocks. So far I have planted 90 four inch diameter trees (oaks, chestnuts, pear, persimmon. Obviously most of these are not producing yet but the saw tooth oaks that I put in in the first year are producing. I also put in four feeders . After season is over I supplementally feed the deer during the hard winter months.

Nice looking deer. It's nice when a management plan comes together. Where in Tenn are you located?

Williamson Co

Thanks... keep up the good work and good luck this fall.

You too GhostBird

By: Hunt98

Tn- what did you use for hedge screens?

Nice deer.

Hunt98... the areas that I screened are gas lines or power lines that ran through the property. These were the most concerning because they allowed people to see several hundred yards into the property. Because they were gas/power lines I couldn't plant trees or shrubs of any kind. After doing a little research I settled on Alamo switch grass which has grown to 8 feet. I also did a section with Egyptian wheat but it has to be replanted.

Date:14-Jul-15

GREAT JOB!!! I live in neighboring Dickson Co., and I have a healthy herd of "coues" deer.

-Joe

By: r-man
Date:14-Jul-15

Wish people around here managed deer , instead of eradicating them. if the antler is visible it gets buck shot in its ass. And yes your deer look great, and they may yet improve.

Date:15-Jul-15

Nice deer. God Bless

HA.. that's funny Joe. Trust me, I have been in your shoes. We had a guy that would shoot 20 deer a year... NO JOKE. His rule was "if its brow its down".

Some years are just better than others to.So don't be discouraged if results vary in the next 5 years.Not trying to bust a bubble just being a realist and reminding to stay the course

Sounds like you have a well written management plan, that's awesome! Hunter management is an important part of any good deer management plan. Sounds like you have that covered as well. Keep us up to date! BC

TNDEER, looks great. The alamo switch grass, how long did it take to do anything? I planted some in June and it isnt much, not even sure what is what. I put some seed in its own pots to watch it grow and it is taking forever to do anything. What was your experience? We have had a lot of rain at least once a week and warm to hot temps. Thanks.

Looks great! Nothing like seeing ones hard work and management pay off. Good luck this fall.

MDcrazyman, the Alamo switch grass is tough. It takes a couple of years to really get established and mine is still somewhat patchy. It has made a nice hedge but its not perfect my any means. Right now its around 8 feet tall.

Most velvet is gone by the end of August and the first week of September here in Ga. and S.C.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.