Shuteye 28-Feb-20
Grey Ghost 28-Feb-20
APauls 28-Feb-20
Catscratch 28-Feb-20
South Farm 28-Feb-20
drycreek 05-Apr-20
APauls 07-Apr-20

Date:17-Apr-15

I have a small area with not a lot of deer traffic. I want to put in some seed that will attract deer ,but not be overgrazed (which shouldnt be a huge issue as the population of deer isnt that large) The plot will be more a shot plot than a food plot (900 sq yards) I have no equipment other than weedeater, rake , handcrank seed spreader. Is there anything you would recommend? I want something that will stay green for a while (I live in Ohio and will hunt the week of Halloween) I was thinking Ladino Clover? will that stay green that long? What about fertilizer and lime?

Again there are not a lot of deer, 40 acre transitional area behind my house Get traffic of maturnal does, fawns and bucks during pre rut. I am not a trophy hunter, so I dont care what comes in. I just like to hunt. Although Ive gotten some nice nocturnal pics of nice bucks (nice in my opinion) Any advice is appreciated

By: r-man

beans, and clover and wheat, I hope you have a mower , you will need to mow low, these seeds will germinate on the surface, if they reach the soil and remain moist. spray some weed killer(round type) first

By: Ace

Test your soil first, the chances that you have ideal conditions are very slim.

Or you can ignore this advice, and then next year you can test it and try again. (Care to Take a guess how I know this?)

Date:22-Apr-15

nutritionist's MOBILE embedded Photo

if one's pH is below 5.5, here is the list of things that the deer will eat that will grow..

rape high sugar perennial ryegrass....they will eat it if there isn't other better options!!

Sure some species will grow but will either stunt out or give limited growth.

Alsike clover tolerate low ground, lower pH soils, wet areas and shady areas better than ladino.

Not all rape is created equal. There is some longer maturing rapes that are more like a kale genetics wise. They are another option.

Trefoil tolerates lower pH's ok, there is pros and cons with that.

There is a couple radishes that grow decent in most conditions.

There is also one product that would be perfect in your situation and i attached a picture of it, If anyone can guess what it is...

Is that sunn hemp?

By: itshot
Date:26-Feb-20

man of bow, the most to bring the bern is in attempt here, feel the bern , how you say quadrillions but in sound to be most nice when along with empty heads always

WTH^^^^^^^^^^ ???

By: APauls

Pat needs to get a handle on this stuff lol. It’s getting a little southern backcountry if you know what I mean

Untested soil I like wheat, clovers (med red and ladino), and chicory. Go to a local CO-OP and talk with the guy behind the counter, they'll know what will grow locally.

Spray glyphosate (generic Roundup), wait 2 weeks and spray again if needed and spread seed, mow/weedeat/trample etc to get some thatch over your seed. Try to time it right before a rain. Moisture is pretty important for this type of system.

SPAM MUCH !!

Date:27-Feb-20

APauls, I’m a little offended by the southern backcountry comment. Lol!

Date:27-Feb-20

The FL forum is loaded with it

Date:28-Feb-20

Corn...in the bag. No need to toil or buy expensive equipment. Even the stigma is mostly ignored these days;)

On a serious note...oats work great and need no babysitting.

I use barley in my garden and the deer love it. I always use wheat or barley as a cover crop in my half acre garden and the deer eat both but seem to prefer the barley. I plant it in October and till it under in the spring. The deer dig through the snow to get to it. It even comes up where I don't lightly till it in.

Do you guys realize you're responding to a 5 year old thread? This Bowman dude is a spammer who keeps pulling up threads from the dead, and posting gibberish on them. Pat needs to empty the trash.

Matt

I have seen episodes on Midwest Whitetail where he clears an area of brush, sprays gly and kills it, then comes in a couple weeks later, burns, and tosses clover seed. Seems to work pretty well. Look it up, think they call em poor mans plots or something.

Ha, that's awesome! I didn't look at the date and had no clue I was responding so something so old. Someone needs deleted for doing it, but he sure as hell got me.

What can I say, I'm guilty of flipping to the back cover. Nonetheless my answer would've been the same five years ago.

Date:05-Apr-20

^^^^^^^^And the hits just keep on coming^^^^^^^^^

Date:07-Apr-20

How can it get better than Bestessays?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.