Bogey 24-Jun-14
R. Hale 24-Jun-14
nutritionist 24-Jun-14
Smtn10PT 25-Jun-14
assassin84 25-Jun-14
assassin84 25-Jun-14
nutritionist 26-Jun-14

Date:18-Jun-14

What's up guys..I'm gonna start a couple mineral sites on my land and I was thinking about getting a few trophy rocks..what do u guys think????.

The bag of trophy rock four 65 supplement works well.

I use them - it helps get some pics in July... I don't think it does much to increase antler size... Read thread recently posted on "Mineral Licks" there is some real expert advice in there... TR's definitely ARE NOT an attractant come September/October/November bow seasons... At least not by me.

By: Will

I have also used them in the summer to get pics near my hunting area but I agree, for some reason they do not get hit as hard in the fall

article in d&dh mag that will tell you alot.thier finding are that the deer will use them.but they do little to improve body or anlter size.great for pics in spring and summer.come fall deer use them less and less.

Yeah, check the mineral lick thread.

+1 stick n string

+1 stick n string

Pardon any double post- have been have computer problems and we have been verifying corrections on Bowsite.com which I have been unable to communicate with on one of my computers.

These have are not "TBM double post issues".

Thanks, Greg aka Buffalo1

Date:19-Jun-14

I have been using them for maybe 6-7 years. I like them. I have one spot that the deer have dug a big hole even if the rock is gone. During bow season I have one in view. Nearly every deer (young and old) stop and do a few licks. I have 5 out now and 2 that I will put out after Labor Day.

Like others have said- Not sure they help in antler growth. To me, it is by far the best mineral in attracting deer for pictures. I've tried a lot of different kinds, I will only use the trophy rock and the bag of it as well.

By: leo17

Be careful, if you do it in NY. we are not allowed to feed deer, prior to or during the season and I never could get a straight answer on wether mineral sites are allowed. Does anyone know?

You're good

I had a trophy rock on my farm with a camera by it for 1 year. Not a deer licked it. It simply dissolved and was never seen again.

I've covered it here more then once but i'll do it again. I have sold Redmonds salts for many years. I know most of the guys over there. I also use their #10 as my salt source in deer minerals I formulate and recommend using the #10 for people building their own minerals.

That being said, trophy rock is like buying bottled water for $1 per 20 oz bottle. That's over $6 a gallon and more than we pay for gas. Ponder that....

Redmonds #10 salt I use to sell to people for $11 per 50 pound bag. It is the SAME PRODUCT as trophy rock. Same company but appealing to people who think that having a deer on the bag means it's better, even thought it's the same product.

Redmonds also sells 44 lb blocks that i also use to sell for $11 per block. For those who want their mineral to look like a block, how about you take a axe, chop it in 1/2 and you just created your own trophy rock for $5.50 for 22 lbs verses $15 for 17 pounds.

Redmonds is a great product. But ruminants and deer will consume more loose minerals and salts than blocks. Redmonds is TRACE MINERAL SALT , but it also has 60 trace minerals verses 6, that many have.

The analysis has: 3 ppm zinc 5 ppm manganese 10ppm iodine 3 ppm copper .55% calcium .02% phosphorus 95% salt

what is in the minerals i'd recommend 3000 ppm zinc 2500 ppm manganese 15 ppm iodone 700 ppm copper 18% calcium 7% phosphorus 20% salt

so it's a source of salt, and trace minerals and is mainly an attractant of sorts. Salt regulates intake. Deer will only consume about 1/2 oz of redmonds salt per head per day because of the salt level. I want my deer to consume around 1 1/2 oz per head per day of a complete mineral product with salt. This is one reason why i recommend the amount of salt I do.

Again, I am not bashing redmonds, just trying to educate people about their products. Use them, buy them but understand what your getting and how to use them.

By: leo17

Hey Pat, Thats what I figured. My dad has a 90 acre piece in orange county and he put out some mineral licks to get pictures during the off season. His neighbor is a state trooper and told him that he didn't think it was legal so I looked in to tit and from what I could tell we weren't supposed to use them.

On another note city hunters in Iowa right now checking on his farm and he was kind enough to set up a mineral site and camera on my farm that I just purchased. Hope to see some good bucks on there.

Date:20-Jun-14

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo

Hey even our Hybrids like it out here...Had to see what all the talk was about, so grabbed one! They loved it!

By: CCOVEY

depends where you put them. If its a well used runway or area that has a lot of activity they may stop have a lick. Otherwise i have had no luck with them.

By: writer

They hit Trophy Rock's hard on our farm pretty well, as in pawing down into the ground where one dissolves.

After the first TR at a location, though, we've gone with a livestock mineral block that I've busted into pieces with a sledge hammer.

Like most, they quit hitting them in the late summer and start again in the late winter.

I have excellent results with TR. I really liked the rock and tried the granules but after a rain or two they have leached into the soil. Maybe that is good...don't know. It is getting too high dollar for me however and am going to start making my own.

I am not convinced it does anything for antler development and always question when someone states that it really made an improvement on their deer how they know how big the antlers would have been if they had not put out mineral?? I figure it is a good tool for trail cams and leave it at that.

Jack Harris's embedded Photo

I bought a new local product in a plain white 10lb pouch this year, at local shop. Next bag I buy will post the ingredients, I didn't save the bag. On my second bag already and will need another one when I check cam in 2 weeks. Man they really digging the minerals out of that hole. I have tried the Whitetail Institutes 30-06 over the years and seen it ignored completely in favor of the TR..... The pics I see today, show them hitting both the TR and the mix in the ground...

It is illegal in NY.

How can anyone believe salt builds antlers?

What builds antlers is as much protein as one can get into the deer, as antlers are 45% protein. Antlers are around 22% calcium and 11% Phosphorus.

My background i'll spare but, basic deer nutrition and antler growth is wayyyyy behind where it should be. It doesn't need to be rocket science but let's try a couple analogies. Say you fed salt, a low protein diet and very little calcium and phosphorus to other ruminants like dairy cows and goats. They wouldn't milk and they wouldn't reproduce worth a darn.

Calcium also is more important as your deer herd matures as with most animals, your ability to mobilize calcium decreases as an animal ages. Heck, it can be 1/3 as effective if your talking an aged doe or buck. This is part of the reason why antlers diminish in size after deer get to a certain age.

For the people worried about cost. Why not spend the same money on a solid deer mineral as you do on the trophy rock? Actually get the right amount of salt that the deer needs per head per day as well as the major minerals needed for antler growth, reproduction, feed efficiency, fiber digestion and fluid transportation of their bodies? If one puts salt out there, why wouldn't you want more to help the deer?

Why not use something that works?

Date:22-Jun-14

illegal in any way shape or form in NYS.straight from hunter safety instructors mouth.

Date:24-Jun-14

What is the difference between the Redmonds trace mineral salt and the other types of trace mineral salts available at the feed store. The bag I bought seems to have much higher ppm than the redmonds. Is it possible they are not as readily used?

By: Bogey

Bogey's embedded Photo

Farm and tractor supply company sells: Trace mineral (phosphate use as 1 part) Mineral salt (use as 2 parts) Calcium (shells for chicken/devenly divide) add a little Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (helps with stomach/digestion) Add a few packets of dry powered grape koolaid for scent attractant.

This makes a much more inexpensive solution. About 100 pounds of powedered mineral for $30. Oh yeah - buy four 5 gallon buckets to mix it and carry it in.

Pour on the ground and on logs. I find it's best to put moss covered logs and cover some of it. It will soak into the grond when wet.

Setup a camera and enjoy.

They get pretty defensive of who gets to have some...

Bogey's embedded Photo

One more picture... Everybody loves this stuff; coons, porquipines, fischers, bear, deer - I haven't gotten any photos of turkeys

Nutritionist, I don't put more out there because I don't know where to get it.

TurkeyFoot, the stuff I listed is close to what Nutritionist is referring to (in my opinion - but he can clarify).

When at the local farm store they will have cattle mineral. You can add that (Nutrabeef, Cargill Emerald Mix or other such thing). This is exactly what ruminants take in to help build them up and keep them healthy. The salt is what they crave but it doesn't do anything for them.

Addressing Writers comment about busting the blocks with a sledge hammer. Wear Safety Glasses. That stuff really comes flying off the block.

To answer SMTN's question..

Trace mineral salts usually have 6 -8 trace minerals in them. Yes, many have higher parts per million or percentages than redmonds. Redmonds has around 60 trace minerals. Why is redmonds different and why would you use redmonds over the regular trace minerals (why i use them when i formulate minerals for people)...here is Redmonds answer. http://www.redmondnatural.com/faq/

That being said here is my answer. BIO-AVAILABLITY....just like the typical cargill, purina, and tractor supply minerals are not the same as the top end , top nutrition products.

Oxides Chelates are trace minerals protected by a "claw" which is usually a proteinate, or amino acid complex. They act as a result more "time released."

What i recommend is neither of those but a better form of protected complex. The tractor supplies, cargills, and most deer mineral companies don't formulate with chelates because of price point and because most people don't realize the benefit of time released trace minerals. This is where I hope I am helping educate people when i do seminars or do postings on sites such as this.

Date:25-Jun-14

Thank you for answering my question. I am always trying to learn! I have located a couple "local" dealers of the redmonds products and will use their trace mineral salts in my next batch of deer minerals.

I hunt Minnesota and trophy rock is legal to put out and to keep out during hunting season it's not considered bait and as far as deer coming to it I guess it depends on your herd and land I've talked with guys that haven't had any luck with it and I've talked with others who think its great I keep hearing all them talking about deer not hitting them into fall and winter I have video of many deer using the rock all season long even in January,February,they hit it year round I'm not saying they hammer it all year but summer it gets used a lot fall I have a ton of deer using them and winter it tapers off a bit but they still hit it. I think the thing i like about it is you can set them up anywhere and unless someone is looking for it they think it's just a rock on the ground vs a salt block you can pick those out a mile away in the woods I love the trophy rock and the four 65 I wont use anything else

I hunt Minnesota and trophy rock is legal to put out and to keep out during hunting season it's not considered bait and as far as deer coming to it I guess it depends on your herd and land I've talked with guys that haven't had any luck with it and I've talked with others who think its great I keep hearing all them talking about deer not hitting them into fall and winter I have video of many deer using the rock all season long even in January,February,they hit it year round I'm not saying they hammer it all year but summer it gets used a lot fall I have a ton of deer using them and winter it tapers off a bit but they still hit it. I think the thing i like about it is you can set them up anywhere and unless someone is looking for it they think it's just a rock on the ground vs a salt block you can pick those out a mile away in the woods I love the trophy rock and the four 65 I wont use anything else and I have proof it helps with antler growth maybe not as much as corn or beans that are high in protein but I have had the bucks in my heard double and triple antler size in just a few years of using the rock

Date:26-Jun-14

I recall having a conversation with redmonds about how hunters have a hard time buying things without a deer on it. Low and behold, four65 came out 1 year later.

EDIT MODE

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.